1. Michael Qualls’ buzzer-beating dunk in Arkansas’ overtime win over Kentucky — Jan. 14
Kentucky left Michael Qualls alone on the baseline, and he made the Wildcats pay with a buzzer-beater putback dunk. This was the first of two overtime wins for Arkansas over Kentucky during the 2013-14 season. This play was listed as the third best dunk of 2014.
2. Tyler Ennis’ 35-footer keeps Syracuse perfect — Feb. 12
What made Tyler Ennis such an impactful freshman last season was how clutch he was late in the game for the Orange. With 3:14 left in the game at Pittsburgh, Ennis committed a turnover. Up until that point, he hadn’t turned the ball over in the last five minutes of any game. He made up for it with this shot to improve Syracuse to 24-0.
3. Dylan Garrity sinks 70-footer in wild win for Sacramento State over Weber State — Feb. 2
In the final 15 seconds of overtime involved two technical fouls, eight free throws and two 3-pointers. After Davion Berry tied the score for Weber State, Dylan Garrity hoisted this attempt a foot outside the 3-point line on the opposite side of the court.
4. George Mason’s Jalen Jenkins hits a game-winner from 75 feet away — Nov. 29
Not much is expected from the Patriots in the Atlantic 10 this season, however, George Mason had one of the early highlights of the season when Jalen Jenkins stole a game from Manhattan with a 75-foot bomb to beat a pretty good Jaspers team, 64-63. George Mason had trailed by eight with 1:14 left.
5. Rasheed Sulaimon extends Duke-Syracuse Part 1 — Feb. 1
Rasheed Sulaimon endured a sophomore slump last season, though, he did step up in crunch time in one of the most anticipated college basketball games of the 2013-14 season. In front of 35,446 fans inside the Carrier Dome, Sulaimon raced down the floor for this game-tying 3-pointer, forcing overtime. While Duke ended up losing in overtime, 91-89, we thank Sulaimon for extending it.
6. A.J. Hess breaks UT San Antonio’s heart with a 40-foot game-winner — Nov. 30
Southern Utah hadn’t won a road game since Feb. 7, 2013 and with 2.5 seconds left, trailing by two, it didn’t look like that streak would be snapped. That was until A.J. Hess connected on this 40-footer. The call really makes the clip. The announcers were in disbelief, as the same thing happened to the Roadrunners the previous season against Division II McMurry University.
7. Sterling Gibbs pulls a Kemba to beat Villanova — March 13
A stepback game-winner in the Big East Tournament. Sounds familiar. In the quarterfinals, Sterling Gibbs did his best Kemba Walker impression with Villanova unfortunately playing the role of Gary McGhee. This turned out to be one of two early exits for the Wildcats in March.
8. Cedric Bowen, Charleston Southern uses a tip slam to beat Ole Miss — Nov. 14
This isn’t really the way the SEC wanted to begin the 2014-15 season. On opening night, the Rebels let Charleston Southern walk away with an upset win, as Cedric Bowen charged from the top of the key to throw down the game-winner right before time expired.
9. Rayvonte Rice gives Illinois ‘Braggin’ Rights’ over Missouri — Dec. 20
What’s better than the throwback uniforms the Illini wore against Missouri? Rayvonte Rice’s stepback 3-pointer at the buzzer for the win in the Bud Light Braggin’ Rights game in Saint Louis.
10. Jordan Gathers’ three helps St. Bonaventure upset Saint Louis — March 14
The Bonnies entered the Atlantic 10 Tournament as the No. 9 seed. St. Bonaventure extended its stay in Brooklyn with a buzzer-beater from Jordan Gathers over top-seeded Saint Louis. This upset was part of a late-season unraveling for the Billikens.
13 more buzzer-beaters from 2014:
- Billy Baron, Canisius vs. Rider — Jan. 10
- Juice Brown, Toledo vs. Buffalo — Jan. 15
- Jonathan Holmes, Texas vs. Kansas State — Jan. 21
- Andrew Wiggins, Kansas vs. Baylor — Feb. 4
- Glenn Robinson, Michigan vs. Purdue — Feb. 26
- Troy Huff, North Dakota vs. Eastern Washington — March 1
- Milton Doyle, Loyola (IL) vs. Bradley — March 7
- Naz Long, Iowa State vs. Oklahoma State — March 8
- Cameron Ridley, Texas vs. Arizona State — March 21
- Richaun Holmes, Bowling Green vs. Detroit — Dec. 1
- Eric Laster, Loyola (MD) vs. Columbia — Dec. 2
- Jarekious Bradley, Southeast Missouri State vs. Southern Illinois — Dec. 11
- Alex Mitola, Dartmouth vs. Northern Illinois — Dec. 19