GAME OF THE NIGHT: Temple 89, No. 25 Florida State 86
The Owls trailed by as many 18 points in the second half, yet stormed back to upset the Seminoles in the NIT Season Tip-Off in Brooklyn. Quinton Rose, who scored a game-high 26 points off the bench for Temple, did most of his damage from the line, going 12-of-15 from the charity stripe. Jonathan Isaac stuffed the stat sheet for Florida State (19 points, seven rebounds, three assists and two blocks), but couldn’t come up with the go-ahead bucket in the final seconds.
No. 20 Baylor 73, No. 24 Michigan State 58: The Spartans, a young team that playing without two forwards, was up by 10 on Baylor in the first half. That did not last as Baylor outscored Michigan State 53-23 over the next 25 minutes, advancing to the Battle 4 Atlantis title game. The Bears get No. 10 Louisville in the championship.
No. 21 Iowa State 73, Indiana State 71: The Cyclones avoided a bad loss to open the Advocare Invitational. But Matt Thomas’ 3-pointer with under a minute in regulation put Iowa State ahead. Thomas, Monte Morris and the Cyclones face Miami in the semifinals.
Florida 81, Seton Hall 76: Big win for the Gators, knocking off a top-40 team, per kenpom. This is an important win because it gives Florida a signature non-conference win before a diffcult stretch of the season. Mike White and Co. have to play Gonzaga in the semifinals on Friday. Top-ranked Duke and a rivalry game with Florida State are on the schedule for early December.
Quinton Rose, Temple: The freshman guard led the second-half comeback, ending with 26 points and four assists.
Johnathan Motley, Baylor: The Baylor big man matched Rose’s point total with 26 of his own. He also added six boards and three assists.
Justin Robinson, Virginia Tech: The Hokies handed New Mexico its first loss of the season behind 22 points and eight assists from Robinson. Tim Williams had 19 points and 11 boards in a losing effort.
Jonathan Williams, VCU: Down early to St. John’s, the Rams avoided an 0-2 start in the Battle 4 Atlantis. Williams went for 22 points, six assists (only one turnover) and four rebounds.
- No. 10 Louisville moved on to the Battle 4 Atlantis title game with a 10-point win over Wichita State.
- Four players scored in double figures, led by 13 points from Jonathan Williams and Zach Collins, as No. 11 Gonzaga took care of Quinnipiac in Advocare Invitational.
- No. 19 West Virginia breezed past Illinois in the NIT Season Tip-Off. The Mountaineers put forth an impressive defensive effort, forcing 24 turnovers, in a rout against the Fighting Illini. Coming off an overtime loss to Winthrop, this has not been a good week for Illinois.
- Johnathan Motley’s 26 points helped No. 20 Baylor knock off No. 24 Michigan State to advance to the Battle 4 Atlantis title game.
- Monte Morris had 20 points and nine rebounds, while three other Cyclones scored in double figures as No. 21 Iowa State avoided an upset.
- As mentioned above, No. 25 Florida State was upset by Temple, 89-86, in the NIT Season Tip-Off
- Texas A&M’s D.J. Hogg had 25 points in a win over CS Northridge to kick off the Wooden Legacy
- Butler is 5-0 after a win over Vanderbilt, defeating the Commodores, 76-66, in the Las Vegas Invitational
- Nebraska nearly blew a late-game lead against shorthanded Dayton, but Ed Morrow’s double-double — 19 points and 10 rebounds — and key defensive rebound in the final seconds secured the win for the Cornhuskers
- Nana Foulland recorded his third double-double in Bucknell’s sixth game of the season
- Ole Miss surrendered 52 second-half points to Montana, but held on for an 86-81 win
- Virginia Tech knocked off New Mexico by 20. The Hokies certainly look like a ranked opponent. They were picked to finish 10th in the ACC, remember.
- Jordan Davis of Northern Colorado was three assists shy of a triple-double: 25 points, 12 rebounds and seven assists in a win over Sacred Heart
- Khadeen Carrington dropped 28 points in a losing effort to Florida