No. 2 Kansas 66, No. 19 Baylor 60: It wasn’t the best game for Kansas but they found a way to win on the road in the Big 12 with a late surge. I have more on why this game was important for Kansas and how some guys stepped up late after poor starts.
Tulsa 74, Temple 55: In an important bubble matchup for both teams, the Golden Hurricane had a huge second half to give themselves a home win in the American. Outscoring Temple 43-26 in the second half, Tulsa was led by 23 points from Pat Birt while James Woodard had 15 points.
Vanderbilt 87, Florida 74: In another bubble game for both teams, Vanderbilt earned a huge road win as they scored 47 points in the second half. With Florida hovering in the 30s in RPI, this is a very good road win for the Commodores as they can’t afford many more losses. Vanderbilt’s Josh Henderson hit an insane 80-foot jumper that might never be duplicated at game speed.
Arkansas 85, LSU 65: With LSU sliding in the SEC recently, they couldn’t afford a loss at Arkansas but they got blown out on the road. Moses Kingsley had 21 points, 12 rebounds and four blocked shots in the win for the Razorbacks while freshman Ben Simmons led the Tigers with 23 points, 12 rebounds and six assists.
No. 16 Kentucky 78, Alabama 53: Kentucky showed no ill-effects from the Texas A&M and won with ease despite playing without Derek Willis. Tyler Ulis (19 points, 10 rebounds) had another double-double while Jamal Murray had 23 points. Alex Poythress returned from a knee injury to score 14 points.
BUBBLE BANTER: Some important results for the bubble in the SEC
Damian Jones, Vanderbilt: In a game that Vanderbilt really needed, Jones played like the lottery pick everyone expected. At Florida, Jones was 12-for-13 from the field for 27 points while he also picked up seven rebounds.
Bryn Forbes, Michigan State: The senior was really rolling as a shooter as he finished with 27 points on 7-for-10 3-point shooting as he was knocking down jumpers from all over the floor.
Marcus Georges-Hunt, Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets picked up a two-point win over Clemson as the junior guard scored 25 points and made the game-winning free throws. Georges-Hunt also added five rebounds and four assists.
Everyone on Alabama not named Retin Obasohan: While Obasohan scored 29 points and had a great game in a loss to Kentucky, the rest of his teammates didn’t do much of anything. The rest of Alabama’s offense combined for 24 points on 8-for-25 shooting while Obasohan was 9-for-13 from the floor.
Tim Quarterman, LSU: With the Tigers struggling lately, Quarterman had an off-night in a loss to Arkansas. The junior was 1-for-9 for only three points as he went 1-for-7 from 3-point range and didn’t try to do much attacking the basket.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS
- No. 6 Michigan State took down Ohio State for a road win as Bryn Forbes had 27 points on 7-for-10 3-point shooting.
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS
- Texas Tech earned a win it needed over TCU in the Big 12 to keep its bubble from bursting. Zach Smith had 23 points and eight rebounds to lead the Red Raiders.
- Ole Miss was a winner over Missouri in the SEC as Stefan Moody had 29 points and eight assists.
- Minnesota had a blowout win over Rutgers in the Big Ten as Jordan Murphy had 19 points, 14 rebounds and four steals.
- Virginia Tech got past Boston College in the ACC as Seth Allen had 14 points, four assists and four steals.
- Dayton avoided a bad loss with a 52-49 overtime win over Saint Louis. Scoochie Smith had 16 points to pace the Flyers.
- Davidson picked up an Atlantic 10 win over Rhode Island as Peyton Aldridge had 24 points and Jack Gibbs added 17 points.
- Evansville picked up a road win in the Valley over Bradley as D.J. Balentine had 22 points.
- Buffalo ran past Kent State in the MAC as CJ Massinburg had 21 points.
- Georgia Southern got past Georgia State in the Sun Belt as Mike Hughes led with 21 points.
- Toledo defeated Ball State as senior big man Nathan Boothe had 23 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and three assists.
- Minor upset in the MAC as Bowling Green bested Ohio. Wesley Alcegaire had 20 points.
- In another upset in the MAC, Miami (OH) toppled Akron as Geovonie McKnight had 20 points.
- Eastern Michigan earned a win over Western Michigan as Willie Mangum IV had 16 points.
- Central Michigan took down Northern Illinois in the MAC as John Simons had 17 points.
- Marist beat Rider in the MAAC as Kristinn Palsson had 19 points.
- Saint Peter’s picked up a blowout win over Manhattan as Quadir Welton had 18 points.
- Army took down Boston in the Patriot League as Kevin Ferguson scored 18 points.
- Texas A&M-CC got past Abilene Christian in the Southland to stay in second place as Rashawn Thomas had 22 points.