1. Kansas (21-4, LW: No. 1): The top of the top 25 is fluid these days, but after the Jayhawks went into Norman and knocked off Oklahoma — which came five days after they beat West Virginia at home — they can hop into the top spot of the poll. For now.
2. Oklahoma (20-4, LW: No. 2): I’m leaving Oklahoma at No. 2 for the simple fact that half of their losses this season have come by a combined seven points and three overtimes against the No. 1 team on this list. This conversation would be very, very different if Khadeem Lattin and Buddy Hield made their timely free throws.
3. Iowa (20-5, LW: No. 1): The loss at Indiana isn’t all that concerning. A four-point home win over Minnesota? That is.
4. Villanova (22-3, LW: No. 4): Villanova is going to remain No. 1 in both polls because this was another week where Villanova didn’t lose, but I’m just not in the camp that sees them as the best team in college basketball.
5. Michigan State (20-5, LW: No. 8): With the way that Denzel Valentine has been playing of late I think that the Spartans are back to being the best team in the Big Ten.
6. North Carolina (21-4, LW: No. 7): The Tar Heels got back on track with a 20 point win over Pitt, but they still can’t figure out how to consistently hit get on the defensive glass.
7. Virginia (20-5, LW: No. 10): The ‘Hoos seem to have figured out their issues on the road. They blew out Louisville, they blew out Pitt and they lost on a buzzer-beater (travel?) at Duke.
8. West Virginia (20-5, LW: No. 9): There’s no shame in losing at Kansas. That 30 point win at TCU will make a lot of people forget about it.
9. Maryland (22-4, LW: No. 6): The Terps have the most talented starting lineup in college basketball. When they’re at their best they’re excellent. That’s not what happened on Saturday.
10. Xavier (22-3, LW: No. 5): The Musketeers shot 1-for-21 from three and got destroyed by Maurice Watson in a blowout loss to Creighton. In an impressive win at Xavier, they went 8-for-11 from three in the first half.
11. Miami (20-4, LW: No. 12)
12. Kentucky (19-6, LW: No. 15)
13. Purdue (20-6, LW: No. 14)
14. Oregon (20-6, LW: No. 11)
15. Louisville (19-6, LW: No. 13)
16. Iowa State (18-7, LW: No. 17)
17. Notre Dame (18-7, LW: No. 23)
18. Dayton (21-3, LW: No. 24)
19. Duke (19-6, LW: UR)
20. SMU (21-3, LW: No. 18)
21. Arizona (20-5, LW: UR)
22. Texas (16-9, LW: No. 22)
23. USC (18-7, LW: No. 20)
24. Indiana (20-6, LW: UR)
25. Utah (18-7, LW: UR)
DROPPED OUT: No. 15 Texas A&M, No. 19 Baylor, No. 21 Providence, No. 25 Wichita State
NEW ADDITIONS: No. 19 Duke, No. 21 Arizona, No. 24 Indiana, No. 25 Utah