GAME OF THE NIGHT: Marquette 65, No. 8 Providence 64
In a sloppy Big East contest, the Golden Eagles earned their first conference win of the season on the road as three players defended Kris Dunn on the game’s final play and Henry Ellenson got the blocked shot to get the stop. CBT’s Rob Dauster has more on why this outcome was important for both teams, but especially a poor effort from Providence.
LSU 85, No. 9 Kentucky 67: Even with Ben Simmons battling foul trouble, the Tigers soundly outplayed the Wildcats for a home win. Simmons threw down a vicious tip slam towards the end of the game, and Tim Quarterman had a tremendous all-around effort.
Temple 55, No. 23 UConn 53: Is there a more confusing team to follow recently then Temple? The Owls won their American opener at Cincinnati, lost at home to Houston by 27, then won on the road tonight at UConn. Josh Brown had the game-winning bucket with just under 3 seconds left and Quenton DeCousey led Temple with 15 points.
No. 22 South Carolina 81, Auburn 69: The Gamecocks are now 14-0 and 1-0 in the SEC as they earned a road win at Auburn. Sindarius Thornwell stepped up with 22 points, seven assists and three steals while going 5-for-8 from 3-point range.
Melvin Johnson, VCU: The senior stepped up his play in a huge road win for the Rams over Saint Joseph’s. Johnson finished with 25 points, seven rebounds and three steals.
Rico Gathers, Baylor: Scoring 17 points and grabbing 17 rebounds, the senior big man had a monster outing for Baylor in a Big 12 win over Oklahoma State. Gathers collected 12 offensive rebounds.
Tim Quarterman, LSU: Finishing with 21 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists, Quarterman was at times the best player on the floor during LSU’s win over Kentucky. He went 9-for-15 from the floor and six of his rebounds came on the offensive end.
Maurice Watson Jr., Creighton: The point guard had a monster game for the Bluejays in a win over Georgetown as he had 27 points, seven rebounds and four assists while going 9-for-13 from the field.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS
- No. 17 Butler picked up its first Big East win of the season with a road win over DePaul. Kellen Dunham had 24 points for the Bulldogs while Kelan Martin had 12 points and a ridiculous poster dunk.
- No. 19 Iowa ran away with a home Big Ten win over Nebraska as senior Jarrod Uthoff had 25 points, eight rebounds and four blocks.
- Arkansas beat Vanderbilt in overtime as Anthlon Bell had 26 points and Moses Kingsley had 25. Damian Jones had 24 points and 15 rebounds and a ridiculous dunk at the buzzer to force overtime.
- Indiana won against Wisconsin for a Big Ten home win as Yogi Ferrell had 19 points.
- Overtime win for Clemson over Syracuse on the road as Landry Nnoko had 19 points and 10 rebounds. Trevor Cooney missed a good look at the buzzer that would have won it for the Orange.
- Texas had a tight Big 12 win over Kansas State as Isaiah Taylor had 17 points, four assists and three steals.
- Houston moved to 3-0 in the American with a win over Tulane as Rob Gray Jr. had 15 points.
- Penn State defeated Minnesota as Payton Banks led the Nittany Lions with 24 points.
- Memphis cruised to a non-conference win over Nicholls State as Avery Woodson had 15 points.
- Tulsa earned an American win over East Carolina as Rashad Smith had 20 points, nine rebounds.
- VCU had an important road win over a hot Saint Josesph’s team to move to 2-0 in the Atlantic 10.
- Rhode Island was a winner in the Atlantic 10 over Richmond as Jarvis Garrett and Jared Terrell both had 18 points each.