GAME OF THE NIGHT: Iowa 82, No. 1 Michigan State 70
Unbeaten No. 1 Michigan State suffered its first loss of the season as they fell on the road in their Big Ten opener without Denzel Valentine. Iowa had a huge night from senior point guard Mike Gesell. Rob Dauster examines why this win was so important for Iowa.
Temple 77, No. 22 Cincinnati 70: Really nice road win for Temple as they opened AAC play with a win over a ranked team. I have more on this one here.
Wake Forest 77, LSU 71: The Demon Deacons earned a nice non-conference road win over Ben Simmons and the Tigers. Rob Dauster has more on why this shouldn’t be considered an upset.
UConn 71, Texas 66: An important road win for UConn as they picked up one of their best wins this season. Rodney Purvis had 18 points in the win for the Huskies, as they slowed down everyone on Texas besides Tevin Mack and Isaiah Taylor.
Dwayne Bacon, Florida State: The Seminoles picked up their first quality win of the season on the road at Florida as the freshman wing had 24 points and nailed the game-winning jumper with just under five seconds left.
Jarrelle Reischel, Eastern Kentucky: The 6-foot-7 senior forward had 26 points, eight rebounds, seven assists and four steals to lead the Colonels to a win over Manhattan. Also going 10-for-10 from the free-throw line, Reischel set a new Eastern Kentucky record by making 32 consecutive free throws.
Shake Milton, SMU: It was a hot-shooting AAC opener for the 6-foot-5 freshman as he scored 24 points and was 7-for-8 from 3-point range in a win for the No. 17 Mustangs over Tulsa. Milton was 8-for-10 from the floor as SMU moved to 12-0.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS
- It was an easy win for No. 2 Kansas over UC Irvine as Perry Ellis had 14 point.
- No. 13 Miami had 14 points and five rebounds from Angel Rodriguez as they topped Princeton.
- No. 14 Purdue used a big effort behind A.J. Hammons to get past Wisconsin. I have more on this one here.
- No. 20 Texas A&M had 18 points on 8-for-9 shooting from freshman center Tyler Davis as they topped Cal Poly.
- Al Freeman had 21 points and Rico Gathers (11 points, 10 rebounds) collected another double-double as No. 22 Baylor outlasted Texas Southern.
- N.C. State ran past Northeastern as Cat Barber had 29 points.
- Alabama needed overtime to beat Jacksonville State as Arthur Edwards had 16 points.
- Tennessee got past Tennessee State as Kevin Punter had 23 points.
- Memphis earned an AAC win over Tulane as Trahson Burrell had 21 points and 13 rebounds.
- Notre Dame had 17 points from Steve Vasturia and 13 points and 14 rebounds from Zach Auguste in a win over Liberty.
- Texas Tech improved to 1o-1 and 8-0 at home with a win over Richmond as Devaugntah Williams had 17 points and eight rebounds.
- Georgia had 20 points for Yante Maten as they got past Robert Morris.
- Patricio Garino had 17 points to put George Washington past UCF.
- Georgia Tech was able to beat Duquesne as Marcus Georges-Hunt had 20 points.
- Saint Joseph’s won as Isaiah Miles had 17 points.
- Oklahoma State used four players in double-figures as they rolled past UMKC.
- Kansas State blew out Saint Louis as Wesley Iwundu had 13 points and seven rebounds.
- Oregon rolled by a non-Division I opponent in Western Oregon as Tyler Dorsey had 25 points, eight rebounds, five assists. More importantly for the Ducks, Villanova transfer Dylan Ennis saw minutes after recovering from injury.
- UAB trailed by 18 but rallied to beat Stephen F. Austin by 10 points. Chris Cokley had 22 points.