Boston College cancelled practice on Monday and their game on Wednesday against No. 15 Providence is now in doubt as members of the team are among 28 students at the school that have gotten food poisoning, the school announced on Monday.
Eight players are sick and two more may potentially be ill, according to ESPN, and all of them ate at a local Chipotle. There is concern that the players — and the rest of the students that are sick — may have contracted E.coli. The burrito chain has been dealing with an outbreak of E. coli that has left 52 people sick in nine states.
The school released a statement on Monday:
“Boston College has confirmed that several BC students and student-athletes, including members of the BC men’s basketball team, have reported to BC Health Services complaining of gastrointestinal symptoms. The common factor among the students is that they had all eaten at the Chipotle restaurant in Cleveland Circle. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health has been notified and is working to determine if there is a link to the ongoing national outbreak of E.coli. The Food and Drug Administration has issued information regarding this outbreak, which can be found on the FDA website.”
Chipotle issued a statement as well:
The safety and well-being of our customers is always our highest priority, so our restaurant at Cleveland Circle in Boston is temporarily closed while we work with local health officials to investigate a number of illnesses among Boston College students. We do not have any evidence to suggest that this incident is related the previous E. coli incident. There are no confirmed cases of E. coli connected to Chipotle in Massachusetts.”