GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 9 North Carolina 89, No. 2 Maryland 81
In Marcus Paige’s season debut, he had a big night for North Carolina as the senior guard had 20 points, five assists and two steals as the Tar Heels looked good at full strength. Maryland used 23 points and 12 assists from sophomore guard Melo Trimble, but it wasn’t enough.
CBT’s Rob Dauster was at this game and has more on this one.
Michigan 66, N.C. State 59: Playing without starting point guard Derrick Walton Jr. in the second half, the Wolverines still played well enough to win on the road in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Caris LeVert played a tremendous overall floor game to finish with 18 points, nine rebounds and seven assists while Duncan Robinson came off the bench to hit five 3-pointers and finish with 17 points.
No. 11 Purdue 72, Pitt 59: When Purdue needed its defense to step up and get stops, the Boilermakers got it done. Pitt went over four minutes without a field goal in the second half as Purdue improved to 7-0. A.J. Hammons had 24 points and 12 rebounds and looked dominant for stretches of the second half. Freshman guard Ryan Cline had four 3-pointers and finished with 12 points for the Boilers.
No. 21 Miami 77, Nebraska 72: The Hurricanes responded after the home loss to Northeastern with a tough overtime win in a hostile road environment. Angel Rodriguez had 15 points and Sheldon McClellan added 14 points to lead a balanced effort for Miami. Shavon Shields had 28 points in the loss for the Cornhuskers.
A.J. English, Iona: Iona was able to run past Fairfield as the senior guard had 46 points and made 13 3-pointers in the win. English also tallied eight assists as he went 15-for-25 from the field and 13-for-19 from 3-point range.
Jack Gibbs, Davidson: The junior guard had 25 points by halftime and he went 14-for-14 before finally missing a field goal in the second half. Gibbs finished with 41 points in total in the win over Charlotte as he was 14-for-17 from the field. He did it in front of a special guest as well.
Robert Hatter, Cornell: The junior guard helped the Big Red to a win over Siena as Hatter had 32 points and six assists to go along with three rebounds and three steals.
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, Georgetown: The Hoyas earned an easy home win over Maryland-Eastern Shore as the senior guard went for 30 points on 10-for-16 shooting.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- Another big game for Wayne Selden Jr. as he had 18 points, six rebounds and four assists to lead No. 4 Kansas to a big win over Loyola (MD). In his debut, Cheick Diallo went 6-for-8 from the field for 13 points, six rebounds and three blocks.
- Abdel Nader had 21 points and Jameel McKay had 15 points and 19 rebounds to lead No. 5 Iowa State past North Dakota State.
- No. 8 Villanova won a road game in Philly as they defeated Saint Joseph’s, 86-72. Kris Jenkins and Josh Hart each finished with 18 points while Ryan Arcidiacono had 17 points.
- Virginia was able to win on the road at Ohio State without London Perrantes as Malcolm Brogdon had 22 points and six rebounds. The Buckeyes have lost four consecutive games.
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS
- Quality blowout win for Florida as they easily dispatched Richmond. John Egbunu finished with 17 to pace the Gators while Dorian Finney-Smith had nine points, 13 rebounds, six assists and three blocks.
- Northwestern outlasted Virginia Tech in overtime as Bryant McIntosh had 19 points and Tre Demps finished with 17.
- Texas got a win in overtime over UT-Arlington as Isaiah Taylor had 21 points. Kerwin Roach also had a potential dunk of the year candidate.
- Georgia Tech defeated Wofford at home as Adam Smith led with 16 points for the Yellow Jackets.
- Georgia needed 23 points from J.J. Frazier and 21 points from Yante Maten to outscore Oakland in a close win.
- Moses Kingsley had 21 points and 10 rebounds as Arkansas ran past Northwestern State.
- Missouri beat Arkansas State as Namon Wright had 14 points.
- B.J. Tyson had 15 points and nine rebounds to help lead East Carolina past Florida Atlantic.
- Memphis earned a big win over Louisiana Tech as Ricky Tarrant Jr. had 19 points.
- Nice win for William & Mary over Old Dominion as Omar Prewitt had 18 points and seven rebounds.
- Ohio got past Marshall as guard Jaaron Simmons had 25 points, six assists and five rebounds.
- Shane Rector had the game-winning free throws to lead Utah State over Missouri State.
- Cullen Neal had 29 points as New Mexico defeated Oral Roberts.
- Arkansas-Little Rock got a win over Central Arkansas as Marcus Johnson Jr. had 28 points.
- Aaron Cosby had 26 points and went 8-for-15 from the field to lead Western Kentucky to a win over Eastern Kentucky.
- D.J. Balentine had 26 points and eight assists as Evansville ran by Alabama State.
- Tyler Hall had 25 points as Montana State beat Utah Valley
- UMKC had a home win over Tennessee-Martin as Martez Harrison had 24 points, five rebounds and five assists.
- Belmont had 22 points from Taylor Barnette and 19 points, 12 rebounds and five assists from Evan Bradds as they beat Lipscomb.
- UAB beat Georgia State as Nick Norton had 16 points.
- Tyrone Wallace just missed on a triple-double with 17 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists in Cal’s win over Seattle.