GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 5 Kansas vs. UCLA, 10:00 p.m.
This will be a nice test for both of these programs. It’s tough for us to know what, exactly, this Kansas team is this season. They looked really good against Michigan State for 30 minutes before Denzel Valentine went bananas, but we also don’t really know how good that Michigan State team is. UCLA lost to Monmouth, I know, but this is still a Bruins team with quite a bit of talent on their roster.
Thomas Welsh and Tony Parker have both been very good for Steve Alford’s club this season. With Kansas having some question marks in their front court, it will be interesting to see how the Jayhawks matchup in the front court.
THIS ONE’S GOOD, TOO: No. 19 Vanderbilt vs. Wake Forest, 7:30 p.m.
Vanderbilt steamrolled St. John’s on Monday, a win that may not be as impressive as their overtime win over Stony Brook at home. Wake Forest shredded Indiana’s defense yesterday, and while it means we miss out on a matchup between a pair of ranked teams, it does give us a chance to see two of the nation’s most underrated coaches square off. Also, if you like jerseys that are in brown and block, this game is for you.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR
1. Marquette vs. Arizona State, 8:00 p.m.: Two teams that already have a home loss to a mid-major on their resume will square off with a chance to win the Legends Classic title.
2. Boston U. at No. 1 Kentucky, 9:00 p.m.: Seeing if Skal Labissiere can develop defensively is one of the things I’m going to be watching very closely this season.
3. Kansas State vs. No. 9 North Carolina, 10:00 p.m.: The CBE Classic title game. In theory, UNC shouldn’t be tested.
4. St. John’s vs. No. 13 Indiana, 2:00 p.m.: St. John’s is not good. Indiana’s offense is ruthlessly explosive. The Hoosiers are pissed after losing to Wake Forest. They might break 150.
5. No. 22 LSU vs. N.C. State, 5:30 p.m.: This was the matchup we wanted to see in the title game. It’s in the consolation game. But Simmons vs. Abdul-Malik Abu will be fun.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- Illinois State at No. 2 Maryland, 8:30 p.m.
- Incarnate Word at No. 7 Oklahoma, 8:00 p.m.
- Southeastern Louisiana at No. 24 Cincinnati, 7:00 p.m.
- St. Francis at Louisville, 7:00 p.m.
- Louisiana Tech at Ohio State, 8:00 p.m.
- Valparaiso at Oregon State, 9:00 p.m.