GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 9 North Carolina 80, Kansas State 70
A 21-3 run over the last four minutes propelled the Tar Heels to a win at the CBE Classic against a Kansas State team that was ready for a fight. I have more on this game here.
No. 19 Vanderbilt 86, Wake Forest 64: In the first semifinal at the Maui Invitational, the Commodores had an impressive start-to-finish effort in completely outplaying Wake Forest. Damian Jones had 17 points and 10 rebounds while Wade Baldwin IV also added 17. Vanderbilt shot 49 percent from the floor while holding Wake Forest to 32 percent shooting.
N.C. State 83, No. 22 LSU 72, OT: LSU squandered a valuable opportunity for some good non-conference wins by losing again on Tuesday night and going 0-2 at the Barclays Center this week. The Wolfpack used 20 points from junior point guard Cat Barber to guide them to victory.
Ben Simmons had another solid stat-line, but the Tigers still lost. CBT’s Rob Dauster has more on this one.
Louisiana Tech 82, Ohio State 74: Ohio State had won 61 consecutive non-conference home games against unranked teams before losing back-to-back games against UT-Arlington and Louisiana Tech. The Bulldogs went 10-for-25 from 3-point range and Ohio State turned the ball over 14 times. Alex Hamilton led Louisiana Tech with 24 points, six rebounds and six assists.
Marquette 78, Arizona State 73, OT: The Golden Eagles picked up another huge win on a neutral court as Henry Ellenson and Luke Fischer finished with 18 points. Marquette’s defense held Arizona State to 38 percent shooting.
Derrick Jones Jr., UNLV: The high-flying freshman went for 26 points in a win over Chaminade and also threw down some ridiculous dunks.
Javion Ogunyemi, Siena: Scoring a career-high 24 points was strong enough, but Ogunyemi also made the game-winning bucket with 2.2 seconds left to give the Saints an 83-81 overtime win over Bucknell.
UCLA: The Bruins got run off the Islands by No. 5 Kansas in the semifinals of the Maui Invitational, losing to the Jayhawks 92-73. The final score doesn’t do the beatdown justice, as Kansas was up by nearly 30 in the first half and went into the break up 59-33.
The good news?
UCLA at least reached double-figures.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS
- No. 1 Kentucky earned a double-digit win over Boston as Skal Labissiere led with 16 points.
- Maryland once again trailed in the final five minutes but rallied to beat Illinois State. Rasheed Sulaimon led the No. 2 Terps with 18 points.
- No. 7 Oklahoma rolled past Incarnate Word as Buddy Hield had 22 points.
- In the consolation bracket at Maui, No. 13 Indiana rebounded with a win over St. John’s as Yogi Ferrell went for 22 points.
- No. 24 Cincinnati remained unbeaten with a 64-49 win over Southeastern Louisiana as Jacob Evans and Troy Caupain each had 15 points.
- Duquesne held off Milwaukee in overtime as Derrick Colter had 27 points and Micah Mason had 26 points and nine assists.
- George Washington rolled past Gardner-Webb as Tyler Cavanaugh had 20 points.
- UMass Lowell cruised by Wheelhouse College as Dontavius Smith broke a backboard during the game and finished with 14 points.
- Rhode Island knocked off TCU as Four McGlynn had 18 points.
- Cameron Jones knocked down five 3-pointers and finished with 23 points as Radford upset Penn State on the road.
- South Florida escaped with a home win over Albany as Chris Perry had the late go-ahead dunk and Angel Nunez led the Bulls with 16 points.
- Northwestern topped Missouri in the consolation game of the CBE Classic as Tre Demps had 13 points.
- Saint Louis beat North Florida as Ash Yacoubou had 20 points to lead the Billikens.
- Nebraska cruised past Arkansas-Pine Bluff as Andrew White finished with 16 points.
- Tennessee rolled past Army as Armani Moore had 29 points and Kevin Punter added 26 points.
- Louisville picked up an easy win over St. Francis (Brooklyn) as Damion Lee had 21 points.
- Virginia Tech earned a big win over North Carolina A&T as Zach LeDay had 30 points.