Game of the Day: Stanford at No. 9 Texas, 7:00 p.m.
Stanford has not been as good as we all expected them to be this season, but they do have the horses to matchup with Texas, at least on paper. The Cardinal has big bodies inside and size on their wings, neutralizing the biggest strength for the Longhorns now that Isaiah Taylor is out of the lineup. Slowing down Chasson Randle will be a key, but what I’ll be watching for is Myles Turner and whether or not he ever has a big performance against a big program.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Iona at FGCU, 2:00 p.m.
This will be fun. Iona runs and guns as much as any team in the country, and they have the nation’s leading scorer in A.J. English on their roster. FGCU? Well, that’s dunk city, led by Brett Comer and Bernard Thompson. They run, too. If you like fast-paced basketball, this is the game for you.
Who’s Getting Upset?: No. 11 Wichita State at Hawaii, 9:00 p.m.
Last night, while you were sleeping, Nebraska lost to Hawaii in Hawaii in the Diamond Head Classic. Wichita State is better than Nebraska, but that doesn’t mean that it will be easy for the Shockers to play what more or less amounts to a road game.
Five Things to Watch For
1. George Washington vs. Colorado, 4:30 p.m.: A Diamond Head Classic semifinal pitting two teams that have had somewhat disappointing non-conference seasons. Both really need a win to get themselves in a good position for an at-large bid.
2. CSUN at No. 4 Louisville, 7:00 p.m.: Louisville will be playing without the suspended Montrezl Harrell.
3. No. 3 Arizona at UNLV, 11:00 p.m.: Arizona plays their second straight road game against a talented, albeit inconsistent, team. Can UNLV handle Zona’s defensive pressure?
4. Louisiana Tech at N.C. State, 7:00 p.m.: Louisiana Tech is one of the nation’s best mid-majors, a program that plays a similar pressing style to West Virginia. The Mountaineers just beat N.C. State in New York.
5. South Dakota State at No. 14 Utah, 9:00 p.m.: SDSU is a sleeper this year, as they are led by Florida transfer Cody Larson and just added Wisconsin transfer George Marshall last week.
The Rest of the Top 25:
- NJIT at No. 7 Villanova, 7:00 p.m.