Game of the Day: No. 10 Kansas at Georgetown, 7:00 p.m.
The Jayhawks pay a visit to Georgetown on Wednesday night in what should be a great chance for the Hoyas to land a marquee home win. I’m on the record saying that I think the Hoyas are a top 15-20 team this season. I think Josh Smith is finally starting to play good basketball, I think D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera is one of the most underrated players in the country and I think that Georgetown’s talented freshman class is being overlooked nationally.
Kansas? They have been up and down this season, but if Cliff Alexander and Wayne Selden can continue building on the game that they had against Florida last Friday, than the Jayhawks will start to look like a real Big 12 favorite.
The Other Game of the Day: No. 13 Utah at BYU, 9:00 p.m.
This is a terrific rivalry, one that gets overlooked nationally. Utah might be a bit overrated at No. 13 in the country right now — especially with Jordan Loveridge being out of action — but there’s no denying that they are one of the two best teams in the Pac-12 at the moment. BYU, however, has one of the best one-two punches in the country in Tyler Haws and Kyle Collinsworth. If that’s not enough for you, tune in to see Utah’s star Jacob Poeltl.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: No. 23 Northern Iowa at Denver, 9:00 p.m.
Denver has as good of a reputation nationally as any mid-major program, but Northern Iowa might be good enough to challenge Wichita State in the Missouri Valley this year. A loss would be the first of the year for the Panthers.
Who’s Getting Upset?: Colorado State at Colorado, 9:00 p.m.
Another terrific rivalry. Colorado State might be the best team in the Mountain West right now, as San Diego State has forgotten how to score. But the Buffaloes are still an NCAA tournament-caliber team playing at home.
Five Things to Watch For:
1. High Point at No. 12 Ohio State, 7:00 p.m.: I don’t know if High Point can win this game, but John Brown would probably be the best front court player for the Buckeyes.
2. Wyoming at Cal, 11:00 p.m.: Two of the most underrated players on the west coast: Cal’s Tyrone Wallace and Wyoming’s Larry Nance Jr.
3. No. 5 Wisconsin at Milwaukee, 8:00 p.m.: Another day, another Wisconsin road trip to take on an in-state rival.
4. Rhode Island at Providence, 7:00 p.m.: Providence desperately needs a win to change the course of their season, and what better time to get it than against their biggest Ocean State rival.
5. Washington State at No. 9 Gonzaga, 11:00 p.m.: If Gonzaga is as good as I think they are, they should handle Wazzu at home.
The Rest of the Top 25
- Columbia at No. 1 Kentucky, 7:00 p.m.
- Long Beach State at No. 18 San Diego State, 10:00 p.m.
- NC-Central at No. 19 Maryland, 7:00 p.m.
- Fairleigh Dickinson at No. 24 St. John’s, 8:00 p.m.