The dog days of August are the worst of the year for sports fans.
Basketball is still three months away and the World Cup is well in our rearview, meaning that the only way to pass the time before fantasy football kicks off again is to watch baseball.
For those of you that need a basketball fix, I have the answer: the U17 World Championships. Team USA sent a really talented group to the Middle East, meaning that watching the games will likely be your first glimpse at some of the top picks in the 2016 and 2017 NBA Drafts. The Americans have been in Doha, Qatar, for the last three days and will get one more practice in Dubai on Thursday before the games begin on Friday.
Here is the US schedule and when the games will be broadcast stateside:
And here is the roster for Team USA:
- Tyus Battle (Gill St. Bernard’s School/ Edison, N.J./2016)
- Henry Ellenson (Rice Lake H.S./Rice Lake, Wis./2015)
- Terrence Ferguson (Prime Prep Academy/Flower Mound, Texas/2016)
- Harry Giles (Wesleyan Christian Academy/Winston-Salem, N.C./2016)
- Josh Jackson (Consortium College Prep H.S./ Southfield, Mich./2016)
- V.J. King (St. Vincent-St. Mary H.S./Akron, Ohio/2016)
- Malik Newman (Callaway H.S./Jackson, Miss./2015)
- Ivan Rabb (Bishop O’Dowd H.S./ Oakland, Calif./2015)
- Devearl Ramsey (Sierra Canyon H.S./Los Angeles, Calif./2016)
- Diamond Stone (Dominican H.S./Milwaukee, Wis./2015)
- Caleb Swanigan (Homestead H.S./Fort Wayne, Ind./2015)
- Jayson Tatum (Chaminade College Prep/St. Louis, Mo./2016)