Did you really think news about Jim Calhoun and Notre Dame would fade after 24 hours? I hope you’re ready for a heavy dose of mixology.
Let’s hit the links.
Wanna know what the press thought about Jim Calhoun? Based on the near-flood of content pouring out of Storrs, CT this week, they must have thought he was a pretty awesome guy. In case you don’t really feel like clicking on all of the following links, you can just head on over to the Hartford Courant. They have everything
– Our very own Raphielle Johnson provides snippets of the best of the press on Jim Calhoun’s retirement
– The UConn past: Jay Bilas, ESPN; Jim Boeheim (via Mike Waters), Syracuse Post-Standard; Eamonn Brennan, ESPN; Seth Davis, Sports Illustrated; Fran Fraschilla, ESPN; Jeff Goodman, CBS Sports; Andy Katz, ESPN; Jim Litke, Associated Press; Bobby Wheel, SB Nation;
– The UConn future: Kevin Duffy, CTpost.com; Jeff Eisenberg, Yahoo Sports; Andy Glockner, Sports Illustrated; Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog
– A fantastic video tribute to coach Calhoun
Notre Dame to the ACC:
– The ACC has raised its exit fee to $50-million. Get comfortable boys. You ain’t going nowhere. Boston College is so screwed
– Surprisingly enough, Notre Dame’s realignment will have an impact on the mid-majors
– Stats don’t lie: Conference newcomers usually tend to struggle in year one
– Andy Katz drops a pretty bold prediction: The Irish will be in the ACC title hunt right away
General CBball News & Notes:
– Add two more to the growing list of ineligible players for the 2012-2013 season
– Prized Philly recruit Rondae Jefferson has committed to Arizona, a huge-get for Sean Miller
– John Infante from the Bylaw Blog did it again: two rejected NCAA proposals back in 2010 would have drastically changed the UNC academic scandal
– Speaking of scandals, and speaking of speaking, Harvard president Drew Faust finally spoke publicly about his university’s school-wide cheating scandal
– If there is one thing I’m certain of this season, it’s that I’m not too sure about UCLA. Good to know somebody else shares my sentiments. Still confused? The Bruins will start Larry Drew II at the point. Blechh.
– New Mexico State was kinda interested in possibly joining the ever-growing Big West, but the conference doesn’t want to expand any further
– Of course a “Joey Dorsey sighting:” features a broken backboard. We wouldn’t want it any other way
– It’s going to cost $1,200 to go see a basketball game on a boat? No thank you
Remember, if you find an article that is worthy of being in The Morning Mix, be sure to use the #ReadoftheDay hashtag on Twitter.
Troy Machir is the managing editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @TroyMachir.