– I’m not sure this have ever been done before in The Morning Mix, but well, your must-read #ReadoftheDay has nothing to do with college hoops. But it does have to do with the financial benefits of “the guarantee game”. See, Savannah State’s FCS-divison football team got walloped by Oklahoma State 84-0 last Saturday, and are -70.5 underdogs in their upcoming game at Florida State. But the small MEAC school will receive roughly a quarter of its total endowment by serving as sacrificial lambs. It’s really a great-read, which is why I just wrote so much about it
– If the above link isn’t the #ReadoftheDay, this retrospective from Dana O’Neil on her all-access encounter with then-Kentucky head coach Billy Gillispie
– The Big East is looking into potentially changing it’s name? No, no and no. If the Big East goes, so should MSG.
– Hip-Hop sensation Drake never attended nor graduated from Kentucky, yet the #BBN fan celebrity will serve as one of the head coaches for the Wildcat’s NBA Alumni Game
– I don’t have a wife, nor do I have a kid. But if/when I do, they will not root for my rival basketball team. Point-blank period. This UConn fan however, failed to put his foot down
– Speaking of UConn, Jim Calhoun remains mum on his future has head coach. In this great-read froM Kevin Duffy, it’s explained that whoever replaces Calhoun is not likely to be an outside hire
– Rick Pitino told his players to avoid pick-up games and bad situations. I agree. If you want to play, go 1-on-1. Limit the number of potential injury opportunities. This team has been brutalized by injuries the past few seasons. Hopefully the M.A.S.H unit will be much less busy in Louisville this season
– The NCAA is discussing the possibility of moving future Final Four sites out of Domes and back into arenas. I was in the stands for the 2005 Elite-8 at the Verizon Center and the 2007 Elite-8 at the Continental Airlines Arenas. I was also in the stands for the 2010 Final Four at Reliant Stadium. Trust me: arena > dome
– It’s not often that assistant coaches leave programs in order to take positions in industries completely unrelated to college athletics. But it looks like a Bradley assistant coach is bucking the trend
– Which ever team wins the 2012 Hall of Fame Tip-Off Classic will be awarded with the newly-minted Gavitt Cup, in honor of the late Big East Commissioner Dave Gavitt
– Daryl Traynham, a JuCo transfer who was likely to be named the starting point guard at Morgan State, was deemed academically ineligible because he failed to gain his associate’s degree at Palm Beach State
– I’ve done work like this before. Trust me it’s exhaustive, but the finish product is worth it. But would it kill you to link to the Twitter handles?
– Finally the Horizon League is getting itself some network HD clarity and will implement instant replays. Friday night blogger productivity just went up 35%
Remember, if you find an article that is worthy of being in The Morning Mix, be sure to use the #ReadoftheDay hashtag on Twitter.