Most colleges and universities will welcome the students back to campus next week. But while a lot of programs are taking the week off, The Morning Mix is going strong.
Time to hit the links.
– ESPN is rolling out a huge late-summer conversation starter series: 50 in 50, ranking the top 50 basketball programs of the past 50 years
– This very well may be the best freudian slip in the past decade of college hoops
– Kentucky or not, Glen Logan is one of the best writers in college hoops. Here’s the evidence
– Well will you look at that…..the academic support director for North Carolina student-athletes has resigned from his post
– Although nobody really talked about Xavier’s season hinging on the performance of Dez Wells, it’s now a sobering reality. The freakishly athletic sophomore was expelled from the university on Tuesday for a “serious violation” of the school’s code of conduct. Without Wells, the X-Men look to shift towards the rebuilding mode
– Expansionocalypse never sleeps. New Orleans is joining the D-I ranks. Wait, didn’t UNO leave D-I just a few years ago? Yes. Yes they did. What are the chances they can actually compete in the Southland Conference
– Here is a list of words you can’t use on Twitter if you just so happen to be a student-athlete at Louisville
– Ahh Christ, it looks like Syracuse is in-fact taking over the world
– Although the Big East Tournament will never be the same without Pittsburgh and Syracuse, the venue is never going away. The Big East and new commissioner Mike Aresco announced their plans to extend the contract with Madison Square Garden
– Andy Glockner continues to brief us on the best non-conference games of the season
– Fomer-North Carolina coach and player Matt Doherty went off an a killer Twitter-rant, stands up for Julius Peppers, who Doherty says was one of the smartest players he ever coached
– Former-St. John’s signee Norvel Pelle announced his plans to attend Iona on Tuesday. This was the Gaels’ second big pick-up in as many day, thanks to the Monday addition of Tre Bowman. If Pelle is able to get eligible, and that’s a big “IF”, Iona could have legitimate chance to make a second straight NCAA tournament appearance
– Gripping account of the conclusion to Tony Farmer’s assault hearing. Once a highly touted recruit, the Ohio-native will now spend the next three years in prison for assaulting and kidnapping an ex-girlfriend
– With Marshawn Powell back in the mix, Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson is excited about his team’s future
– Eric Angevine went “ham” on this article. Great stuff. Must-read
– I never not been interested in discussions pertaining to alternate uniforms
– One of the guys at Big Apple Buckets ranks the top-10 recruits in the Northeast Conference
– The youngest Gasol brother, Adria, was recently named as a walk-on at UCLA, will skip the Bruins’ exhibition trip to China
– This may end up being the weirdest college hoops-related story of the year
Remember, if you find an article that is worthy of being in The Morning Mix, be sure to use the #ReadoftheDay hashtag on Twitter.
Troy Machir is the managing editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @TroyMachir./