Before we begin, take a moment of silence for the passing of Louisiana Tech bulldog mascot “Tech XX”. After being labeled “missing” for two days, animal care workers came forward and revealed that the dog had been mistakenly left outside for too long, and died of heat stroke.
Bulldogs are way too damn cute to pass away.
– Your must-read of the day is from Eric Prisbell of The USA Today. It’s about recruiting and improper benefits. You’ll want to make sure you read this. Apparently a former Big-XII recruit who was drafted in the second round a recent NBA draft got paid six figures (I’d go with Tiny Gallon, but all the evidence points towards DeAndre Jordan)
– Ken Pomeroy thinks there are three specific players that could have breakout seasons due to an expanded role (Insiders Only)
– Central Florida head coach Donnie Jones is optimistic about the Golden Knight’s future despite their one-year postseason ban
– Ken Caldwell, the runner at the focus of the UCF violations, took to a webcam to “speak the truth”. Gary Parrish reviewed the video. It’s hilarious
– Gary Parrish also ripped in to the sleazy side of recruiting. Reads like this never get old
– This is what our US Olympic basketball teams would have looked like if it was open to college players only
– Jeff Goodman takes a gander at what the 2016 Olympic Team might end up looking like
– The Hustle Belt is one of the best conference-specific blogs out there. They showed why with a great list of all the NCAA violations in MAC history. Quality stuff, gents
– Fran Fraschilla details the list of schools that need to bolster their rosters with a strong 2013 recruiting class (Insiders Only)
– Both Laurence Bowers and Jio Fontan have been cleared to participate following extended time off due to ACL tears. Bowers should stake his claim again as one of the best dunkers in the country. Fontan is going to be doing a lot of the heavy lifting for USC this season
– Andy Glockner explains why some improved luck will help schools like Memphis St. Joseph’s, and USC
– Here are the five keys to success for Ben Howland at UCLA this season
– A list of the top student sections in Philadelphia
– A preview about Robert Morris with only one sentence about Velton Jones? Homeboy deserves more than one sentence. Dude is a wrecking machine
Troy Machir is the managing editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @TroyMachir.