Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard charged with disorderly conduct

Tanner Smith, Pe'Shon Howard

Clemson’s Tanner Smith, left, falls backwards after fouling Maryland’s Pe’Shon Howard in the second half of their NCAA college basketball game on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2012 in Clemson, S.C. (AP Photo/Anderson Independent-Mail, Mark Crammer) GREENVILLE NEWS, SENECA JOURNAL - OUT

AP

According to the Diamondback, the University of Maryland’s student newspaper, sophomore point guard Pe’Shon Howard was arrested early Sunday morning and charged with disorderly conduct.

According to University Police spokesman Captain Marc Limansky, Howard was seen outside of Shanghai Cafe taunting someone.

Limansky said police responded to a fight outside of Shanghai, but did not know whether Howard was involved in the fight. In front of a crowd of more than 30 patrons, Howard allegedly began taunting the aggressor involved in the fight, Limansky said.

Officers reportedly asked Howard to step back and to stop instigating, but Howard continued what he was doing, Limansky said.

According to the Diamondback, Howard denied that he was provoking the fight.
“They thought that I was instigating,” Howard said in a phone interview. “But people around me said I wasn’t.”

Howard was released at the scene, and it’s likely that more information on this will be learned in the coming days.

The Los Angeles native had an injury-plagued 2011-12 season, playing in just 14 games due to foot and knee injuries. Howard averaged 6.5 points and 3.7 assists per game.

There’s been no statement from the basketball program in regards to this situation.

Raphielle is also the assistant editor at CollegeHoops.net and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.