The 2011-2012 college basketball season has come to a close. But that doesn’t mean that the news cycle is going to stop.
Today’s Morning Mix will be broken up into two parts. The first will focus on the rest of the college basketball landscape, while the second part will cover just the best reads from a tremendous weekend in New Orleans.
– Stephen Danley provides some good analysis projecting Anthony Davis’ future as an NBA player
– congratulations are in order for journalist Mike DeCourcy, who was recently inducted in to the Basketball Writers Hall of Fame
– Bruce Pearl was in New Orleans and spent time mending his relationship with former-UIC coach Jimmy Collins. The two coaches feuded for years following Pearl’s dubious taping of a phone call with former-recruit Deon Thomas
– Jim Calhoun was awarded the Basketball Human Spirit Award from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
– UNC guard Kendall Marshall was awarded the Bob Cousy Award for being the nation’s top point guard
– Texas guard J’Covan will forgo his senior year in order to declare for the NBA draft. Brown had a successful year for the Longhorns and will become the sixth backcourt player to leave Texas early since 2000
– Illinois center Meyers Leonard will forgo his final two seasons in order to enter the NBA draft. He is projected to be a mid-to-late first round pick
– UNLV forward Mike Moser will return to school for his junior year after briefly contemplating a jump to the pros
– Indiana’s Christian Watford is still mulling his NBA draft decision. Due to the new early entry rules, he only has seven more days to do so
– Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz is reportedly considering Maryland as his landing spot
– Two Virginia Tech assistant coaches are leaving Blacksburg in order to take jobs at UAB under new head coach Jerod Haase. Seth Greenberg has now seen five assistant coaches leave to take other jobs in four years
– Former Drake and Providence coach Keno Davis has been hired as the new basketball coach at Central Michigan
– TCU head coach Jim Christian will be named as the new head coach at Ohio University. The opening was made available when John Groce left to take the job at Illinois following the Bobcats Sweet-16 run
– Former-Rhode Island head coach Jim Baron has been hired as the new head coach at Canisius
– Bruce Weber was hired by Kansas State to replace Frank Martin. But does the quick coaching hire spell trouble for the Wildcats down the road?
– Clemson assistant coach Rick Ray has been officially introduced as the new head coach at Mississippi State
– Sam Cassell Jr. is reportedly decommitting from Maryland after announcing his commitment to the school last week
– The story about the Michigan State AD tweeting at Trey Burke just won’t go away
– This is unquestionable the best Twitter meme of the NCAA tournament. Thank you Kansas