After capturing a national championship earlier this year, the North Carolina men’s basketball team will not be visiting the White House, a North Carolina spokesman said to Andrew Carter of the The Charlotte Observer.
Although the Tar Heels were invited to go to the White House from the staff of President Donald Trump, the team couldn’t figure out a date that worked.
“We couldn’t find a date that worked for both parties,” North Carolina team spokesman Steve Kirschner said to Carter. “We tried about eight or nine dates and between they couldn’t work out that date, we couldn’t work out that date, so – we would have liked to have gone, but not going.”
According to Carter’s report, Kirschner also said that North Carolina players, “were fine with going.”
With Trump’s recent comments towards NFL players and the national anthem and his Saturday morning tweet at Steph Curry and the Golden State Warriors, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the President with regards to athletes over the past 24 hours.
Although the timing of this may seem like North Carolina is making some sort of political statement, the school is downplaying any sort of politics by focusing on the bad timing.
With the recent commitment of Buddy Boeheim in the Class of 2018, many around college basketball have speculated that Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim would stay in his current position for at least a few more years.
The 72-year-old Boeheim recently signed a contract extension with the Orange this offseason after previous coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins took the head coaching job at Washington.
At the Garden State Basketball Clinic at Immaculate Conception High School late this week, Boeheim confirmed to reporter Adam Zagoria that he would be staying through at least the duration of his son, Buddy’s, career at Syracuse. Boeheim has previously stated that he has five or six more years left, but in speaking directly of Buddy’s career, this is a bit different.
“I’m not leaving my son there,” Boeheim said to Zagoria.
With Buddy Boeheim being a senior in high school this season, it means at least another five years of Jim coaching at Syracuse — and that could be even longer depending on Buddy’s trajectory with the school.
“He might redshirt, too,” Jim Boeheim jokingly said of his son to Zagoria.
The news of Boeheim wanting to coach his son at Syracuse isn’t surprising, but it does mean something if Boeheim is directly saying that he wants to be done when Buddy is finished playing college hoops. If Buddy plays all four years, that would put the older Boeheim at around 78 years old when he might retire.
Obviously, a lot can happen in the next five years, but it does seem that Jim Boeheim has a plan when it comes to finishing out his career and a lot of it will have to do with coaching his son.
Louisville remained hot on the recruiting trail as the Cardinals landed a commitment from Class of 2019 four-star guard David Johnson on Friday night.
The 6-foot-4 Johnson is a local product as he comes from nearby Trinity High School. Johnson is Louisville’s first commitment in the Class of 2019.
Regarded as the No. 80 overall prospect in the Rivals national 2019 rankings, Johnson is a versatile perimeter player who should fit in nicely with what the Cardinals are bringing in over the next few classes.
In the Class of 2018, Louisville already owns perimeter commitments from five-star Anfernee Simons and four-star Courtney Ramey, so Johnson should be able to slide in and play alongside those guys when he enters the program.
Louisville has been doing very well on the recruiting trail over the last few months as they also secured a late spring commitment in the Class of 2017 from McDonald’s All-American Brian Bowen.
Marvin Bagley has been officially cleared by the NCAA to play for Duke this season.
The potential No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, Bagley committed to Duke in August after reclassifying into the school late this summer.
The 6-foot-10 Bagley has a chance to be an All-American in what should be his only year of college basketball as he’ll likely start in the Duke front court and be a featured presence from Day 1. With Bagley joining, Duke is the No. 1 team in the current CBT top 25 as they bring in a loaded freshman class to includes other five-stars like point guard Trevon Duval, guard Gary Trent Jr. and big man Wendell Carter.
Bagley could be a double-double machine at the college level as the bouncy lefty is one of the more skilled big men to enter college basketball as a freshman in recent memory. With his ability to rebound, score on the interior and block shots, Bagley should help Duke on both ends of the floor.
If Bagley is able to knock down perimeter shots and show some ball-handling ability — which he has shown in the past at the high school level — then he could be in line to be a potential No. 1 pick in the next draft as he joins a deep freshman class in college basketball that includes Missouri’s Michael Porter Jr., Arizona’s Deandre Ayton and Texas’ Mohamed Bamba.
Buddy Boeheim, the son of legendary Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim, committed to the Orange as a member of the Class of 2018 on Friday.
The 6-foot-5 Boeheim elevated himself into a legitimate three-star prospect with his strong play this spring and summer in the Nike EYBL. Boeheim averaged 12.2 points per game in EYBL play with the City Rocks as he shot 48 percent from three-point range. Spending his senior season at powerhouse Brewster Academy, Buddy has a chance to be a very solid rotation piece for the Orange.
Boeheim joins five-star wing forward Darius Bazley in the Syracuse Class of 2018 as this has the makings of a very good class for the Orange. Buddy’s commitment also means that Jim Boeheim, now 72 years old, will likely stay to coach his son over the next few years.
N.C. State will have to re-focus its recruiting efforts in the Class of 2018 as four-star guard Jamie Lewis opted to open up his recruitment on Thursday. The news was first reported by Eric Bossi of Rivals.com.
Regarded as the No. 98 overall prospect by Rivals in the national Class of 2018, the 6-foot-4 Lewis pledged to the Wolfpack back in June after taking an unofficial visit to campus. Now he will weigh all of his options as he plays at national powerhouse Findlay Prep during his senior season. According to Bossi’s initial report, Lewis will still consider N.C. State the second time around.
While losing Lewis’ commitment hurts, especially since he was N.C. State’s only commitment in the class so far, the Wolfpack do have two talented transfer guards who are eligible next season in UNC-Wilmington’s C.J. Bryce and Utah’s Devon Daniels.
Lewis made some interesting remarks about his decommitment from N.C. State to Jonathan M. Alexander of the The News & Observer on Thursday as he talked about how he sees himself in a different role than what the Wolfpack are doing with their guards. One of the reasons for decommitting, Lewis said, was that he wanted a more, “systematic offense.”
As a first-year coach at N.C. State, Kevin Keatts already has a perception about how his guards will play, which is something he’ll have to deal with in recruiting. N.C. State still has plenty of options in the Class of 2018 and they already have the two transfer guards coming in next season, so there is still plenty of time to make up for the departure of Lewis.