GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 4 Iowa State 83, Iowa 82
With Jarrod Uthoff scoring 30 points in the first half the Hawkeyes took a 14-point lead into the halftime break and led by as much as 20 in the early stages of the second half. But as many expected the Cyclones steadily worked their way back into the game, with a Monté Morris jumper with 8.9 seconds remaining completing the comeback. Steve Prohm’s team stays undefeated as a result, and Iowa misses out on what could have been a valuable win for their non-conference résumé.
More about this wild game can be seen here.
Penn State 81, Canisius 67: Patrick Chambers’ Nittany Lions moved to 6-3 on the season with a 14-point win over the Golden Griffins at Rec Hall (Penn State’s home before their move to the Bryce Jordan Center in 1996). Brandon Taylor led four Penn State players in double figures with 18 points and Josh Reaves accounted for eight points, ten rebounds, seven assists and four steals.
Seton Hall 78, Troy 69: The Pirates got complacent after their quick start Thursday night, resulting in this game being tougher than many anticipated. Isaiah White head scored 20 points and Desi Rodriguez added 18 and 11 rebounds to lead the way for Kevin Willard’s team, which is now 7-2 on the season. Troy freshman Jordon Varnado led all scorers with 25 points while also grabbing 11 rebounds.
First-half Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa: Uthoff scored 30 points on 11-for-13 shooting and grabbed six rebounds in the first half of Iowa’s game at No. 4 Iowa State.
Jameel McKay, Iowa State: McKay racked up 20 points and 12 rebounds, shooting 10-for-12 from the field in Iowa State’s win over in-state rival Iowa.
Camyn Boone, Missouri State: Boone finished with 24 points and ten rebounds as the Bears beat IUPUI 88-74.
Second-half Jarrod Uthoff, Iowa: On the receiving end of more attention, Uthoff shot 1-for-7 from the field and scored just two points in the second half. Iowa State would come back to win 83-82.
T.J. Carpenter, Nicholls State: Carpenter shot 1-for-11 from the field in the Colonels’ blowout loss at San Diego State.
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS
- Tim Coleman scored 27 points and Ky Howard added 23 as NJIT picked up a 92-86 overtime win at St. Francis-Brooklyn. Tyreek Jewell led five Terriers in double figures with 21 points.
- Cheddy Mosely scored 23 points and grabbed eight rebounds and John Papale added 17 points as Boston University took care of UMass-Lowell, 80-60.
- Having already picked up a win at Mississippi State, Southern beat Wyoming 68-58 in Laramie. Trelun Banks led the way with 21 points, as the Jaguars won despite Wyoming’s Josh Adams leading all scorers with 25 points.
- Kellon Thomas and Xavier Pollard scored 16 points apiece to lead Kent State to a 73-62 win over ULM. ULM’s Jamaal Samuel led all scorers with 18 points, but the Warhawks were outscored 23-9 at the foul line.
- Idaho held off Washington State 78-74, with Perrion Callandret leading the way with 25 points, five rebounds and four assists. The Vandals have beaten the Cougars in consecutive seasons for the first time since 1989-90.
- Jeremy Hemsley scored 20 points and Trey Kell 15 as San Diego State blew out Nicholls State, 84-47. The Aztecs forced 20 Nicholls State turnovers in the win.