Doug Wojcik and the College of Charleston have reached a settlement that will finally end a soap opera that has dragged on for more than two months.
Wojcik was accused of verbally and physically abusing his players during his two seasons at the helm at Charleston leading to his dismissal in early August. He was fired for cause, but it was determined that there were no signs of physical abuse.
After a long, drawn-out and fairly embarrassing coaching search, the Cougars not only have a head coach but they now have finally cut all ties with their former coach. On Tuesday, the Charleston Post and Courier reported that Wojcik and the university had reached a settlement that would pay him $400,000, or the equivalent on one year’s salary. He had three years and $1.2 million left on his contract.
The College of Charleston and former head coach Doug Wojcik reached a settlement on Tuesday afternoon, according to Wojcik’s attorney, Ronald L. Richter Jr.
Wojcik was fired for just cause on Aug. 5 after two seasons as former players had accused him of verbal abuse. Those allegations went public in July with a 50-page report documenting their claims.
“After a full review of the facts relating to the allegation of physical abuse made by a player, the College made no finding of physical abuse, but concluded physical contact occurred that was offensive to the player,” a statement from Richter read, according to Andrew Miller of the Post and Courier.
A second investigation was conducted later on July 23 after Trevonte Dixon, who played for Wojcik during the 2012-2013 season, said he was involved in a physical confrontation with Wojcik during a game against Elon on Dec. 1, 2012. College of Charleston determined there was no evidence of physical abuse, according to the Post and Courier.
The terms of the settlement were not released.
College of Charleston coaching search came to an end last Tuesday when the school hired Clemson assistant Earl Grant. The first-year head coach had been at Clemson for four seasons, previously serving on Gregg Marshall’s staff at both Winthrop and Wichita State.
It appeared last week that the College of Charleston was ready close the book on a difficult summer. It took more than a month — and a second investigation — to remove Doug Wojcik from his head coaching duties. On Aug. 26, three weeks after Wojcik’s firing, the search committee reportedly gave College of Charleston president Glenn McConnell two finalists.
The next day, Wofford head coach Mike Young and former CofC guard Anthony Johnson both removed their names from consideration. Young and Johnson became the top options out of the six candidates in contention. This weekend, Clemson assistant coach Earl Grant and N.C. State associate head coach Bobby Lutz — both previously had interviewed — were back on campus for a second time, according to Jimmy Utter of the News & Observer.
Lutz, 56, is set to begin his fourth season on coach Mark Gottfried’s staff at N.C. State and his third year as associate head coach. The Wolfpack advanced to its third straight NCAA tournament and ended the season with a 22-14 record.
Sources said the College of Charleston has also spoke to Clemson assistant Earl Grant about the position. The school expects to make a decision by the middle of next week, sources said.
Lutz coached Charlotte from 1998-2010, leading the 49ers to five NCAA tournament appearances. Grant has been on the Clemson coaching staff for the past four seasons. Before joining the Tigers coaching staff, he was an assistant under Gregg Marshall at Winthrop and Wichita State. According to Jeff Goodman of ESPN, Grant has the support of former CofC head coach John Kresse.
UConn assistant Karl Hobbs and Virginia associate head coach Ritchie McKay — both of whom have head coaching experience — were also interviewed before the search committee keyed in on Johnson and Young. McKay reportedly withdrew from consideration on Sunday.
The college basketball season begins in 33 days.