Rob Dauster

Reports: Kentucky’s Bam Adebayo to sign with an agent

Leave a comment

Kentucky’s Bam Adebayo will sign with an agent and remain in the NBA Draft, according to multiple reports.

Adebayo officially declared for the draft the day after the national title game, but he initially did not sign with an agent. “I feel like I’m making the right step in declaring for the draft,” he said at the time, “but I want to be absolutely sure that I’m making the right decision for me and my mom.”

A 6-foot-10 big man that averaged 13.0 points, 8.0 boards and 1.5 blocks, Adebayo is a borderline first round pick. He’s a freak athlete but he’s a little undersized for a five and doesn’t have the perimeter ability to play a stretch role.

Adebayo is one of six players that has declared for the draft from Kentucky: De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Hamidou Diallo, Isaiah Briscoe and Isaac Humphries are the other five.

Louisville’s Jaylen Johnson to hire agent, pursue pro career

Grant Halverson/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Louisville center Jaylen Johnson’s college career is over, as he will sign with an agent and remain in the NBA Draft.

“After a lengthy conversation with Coach P I have decided to hire an agent and forego my senior year,” said Johnson. “I will miss my teammates and coaches, but it is really important that I help out my mom and family. I’m going to work incredibly hard to give it my best shot. I’ll be rooting for the Ville next year.”

As a junior, the 6-foot-8 Johnson averaged 8.0 points and 5.8 rebounds. He likely would have started next season for a team that is ranked No. 1 in the latest NBC Sports preseason rankings.

Johnson plead guilty last week to possession of marijuana. At the time, Louisville SID Kenny Klein told a reporter from WDRB in Louisville that the program “just became aware of the matter“.

“Jaylen and I had a long conversation,” said UofL Coach Rick Pitino. “He feels strongly about trying to make the league and help his family, as they have always been there for him. Jaylen has been a valuable asset to our program and has given me his heart and soul for the last three years. We wish him great success and we will be following his progress closely.”

UNC’s Berry, Bradley, Pinson to declare for the NBA Draft

Sara D. Davis/Getty Images
1 Comment

North Carolina announced on Monday that Joel Berry II, Tony Bradley and Theo Pinson will be declaring for the NBA Draft. None of the three will hire an agent initially.

“We fully support our players taking this step of being evaluated by NBA teams to see where they stand in relation to the Draft,” says Carolina head coach Roy Williams. “All three players have options to do what is best for their careers and going through the evaluation process helps them make the best decision available to each of them.”

The Tar Heels are coming off of winning the 2017 National Title and already lost Justin Jackson, a potential lottery pick, to the NBA. He is hiring an agent.

Of the three, Bradley is the only potential first round pick. A 7-footer with broad shoulders, long arms and a penchant for getting to the offensive glass, Bradley has a shot at sneaking into the back-end of the first round this year. He averaged 7.1 points and 5.1 rebounds and shot 57.3 percent from the floor, although those numbers were kept in check because he played behind the senior front line of Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks. If he returns to school, he’ll have a shot to be a first-team all-ACC player and maybe play his way into the lottery of a weaker draft.

Berry and Pinson, who will be seniors next season, have a more interesting decision on their hands. Both would be drafted in the second round, if at all, but it’s fair to wonder if it makes sense to return. Berry built on a terrific end to his sophomore season by playing at an all-ACC level as a junior and winning Final Four MOP. Pinson battled injury much of the year.

If all three stay in the draft, UNC will be losing their top seven off of last years title-winning team.

Kentucky freshman Hamidou Diallo declares for NBA Draft

Jon Lopez/Nike
Leave a comment

Kentucky’s Hamidou Diallo is declaring for the NBA Draft, although he is not signing with an agent to retain his collegiate eligibility.

Diallo was originally a member of the Class of 2017, but he spent half of last season at a prep school and enrolled at Kentucky in January as a redshirt. Being a year removed from his high school graduation and 19 years old, he is allowed to declare for the draft.

“When I decided to enroll in school in January, my plan was to come to Kentucky to work on my game and to focus on school,” Diallo said. “At the end of the season, I knew I wanted to see where I was in the draft process and go through that so I could get a proper evaluation.”

“That plan hasn’t changed and that’s why I am declaring for the NBA Draft. I want to see where my game is and explore my options.”

Diallo, a top ten player in the class, is as explosive of an athlete as you are going to find. He should be an elite defender, but he will be drafted based mostly on his potential offensively.

Since Diallo is not signing with an agent, he will be able to return to school without penalty. He’s currently projected as a late second round pick in the 2018 draft, but he’s likely a second round pick in a deeper draft this year.

Reports: Duke’s Frank Jackson to declare for draft

1 Comment

Frank Jackson will declare for the draft but will not be signing with an agent, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

Previous reports had indicated that Jackson “planned” to return to school, and that still may end up proving true. But the combination of Trevon Duval potentially enrolling at Duke combined with the fact that there is zero downside to going through the draft process, it makes sense for Jackson to declare.

Jackson averaged 10.9 points and shot 39.5 percent from three. He’s projected as a mid-first round pick in 2018 by Draft Express, but at 6-foot-3, he’s too small to play the two in the NBA and has yet to prove he can be a point guard.

Jackson is the fourth Duke player to declare, following Jayson Tatum, Harry Giles III and Luke Kennard. All three signed with an agent. Grayson Allen and Marques Bolden are both returning to school.

Report: NCAA ‘anticipates’ hearing UNC case in mid-August

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
8 Comments

Today, the AP churned out a story on Greg Sankey’s involvement with the NCAA’s investigation into the academic scandal at North Carolina, and buried within that story is this little nugget:

UNC must respond to the latest charges by May 16. The NCAA enforcement staff then has until July 17 for its own response. Sankey wrote that his panel will hear the case in August with “anticipated” dates of Aug. 16 and 17.

Rulings typically come weeks to months later.

We’ve been down this road before, as the current iteration of the Notice of Allegations is the third that the NCAA has provided the university. The first was given out back in May of 2015 for an investigation that began back in 2010.