FLINT, Mich. (AP) Prosecutors say officers drove former Michigan State basketball star Mateen Cleaves to his home after police responded to a reported sexual assault of a woman at a Flint-area motel.
The Flint Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2culHoQ ) that Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Lindsey made the statement to a judge during a hearing Thursday.
Defense attorney Frank Manley later told reporters that the officers’ actions showed they “saw nothing that would rise to the level of some type of crime.”
The 39-year-old Cleaves is charged with assaulting the woman at a Mundy Township motel last summer following a charity golf outing. He denies the charge.
Wayne County prosecutors are handling the case after Genesee County’s prosecutor did not take it due to a possible conflict of interest.
Information from: The Flint Journal, http://www.mlive.com/flint
The Chancellors for North Carolina and N.C. State released a joint statement on Wednesday afternoon in support of the decision the ACC made to remove all neutral site championship games from the state in protest of the controversial HB2 law.
“UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State remain steadfast in our commitment to welcoming and supporting all people,” the statement reads. “Our policies protect students, faculty and staff from discrimination, regardless of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. As such, we remain dedicated to providing and promoting equal opportunity and non-discrimination to everyone who participates in athletic events on our campuses.”
“We regret today’s decision will negatively affect many North Carolinians, especially in the affected host communities.”
The ACC announced on Wednesday that there would be no neutral site conference championship games played in North Carolina just two days after the NCAA announced that it would be pulling all NCAA tournament games — including basketball — from the state for the 2016-17 season.
Miami’s incoming McDonald’s All-American Dewan Huell was arrested for battery on Tuesday.
According to a police report obtained by WINZ’s Andy Slater, Huell walked uninvited into the dorm room of his ex-girlfriend, who attends Florida International. He found her in the closet with another man, according to the report, and allegedly dragged him out of the room by his shirt and left him with scratches on his neck and face.
“I am aware of the reported incident involving Dewan Huell last night and we are still gathering information,” athletic director Blake James said in a statement. “I have very high expectations for all of our student-athletes, as I know Coach Larrañaga does for his team, and any misconduct will be addressed.”
Huell was a top 30 prospect in the Class of 2016 and a key piece for the Hurricanes heading into the season.
The ACC announced on Wednesday that the conference will be relocating all neutral-site championships for the 2016-17 season from the state of North Carolina due to HB2.
The ACC Council of Presidents “reaffirmed our collective commitment to uphold the values of equality, diversity, inclusion and non-discrimination,” a statement released by the conference read.
“Every one of our 15 universities is strongly committed to these values [but] we believe North Carolina House 2 is inconsistent with these values.”
The most notable championship that will be moved this season is the ACC’s football title game, which was to be played in Charlotte. Baseball, women’s basketball, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s swimming and diving and women’s soccer will also be moved. The new locations will be announced “in the future” by the conference.
The amount of time it takes to plan for an event as big as the ACC’s football title game is significant. There’s a reason these things are announced so far in advance. With that game scheduled to be played in just two months, there are two points you need to understand:
- The stand the ACC is taking here is significant. Not only are they moving the title game, they are moving it out of the state when the conference is based. The ACC’s offices are in Greensboro.
- This wasn’t a decision solely in response to the NCAA’s decision yesterday. The process of finding a new home has likely been in the works.
The conference will allow championships that are played on campus sites to be played in the state.
“The ACC Council of Presidents made it clear that the core values of this league are of the utmost importance, and the opposition to any form of discrimination is paramount,” commissioner John Swofford said. “Today’s decision is one of principle, and while this decision is the right one, we recognize there will be individuals and communities that are supportive of our values as well as our championship sites that will be negatively affected. Hopefully, there will be opportunities beyond 2016-17 for North Carolina neutral sites to be awarded championships.”
The ACC’s basketball tournament will be held in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center for the next two years and is scheduled to be played in Charlotte and Greensboro in 2019 and 2020, respectively.
In this week’s episode of the NBCSports.com College Basketball Talk podcast, we spend time talking about the NCAA’s decision to remove all NCAA tournament games from the state of North Carolina before diving into a conversation about potential changes in the rules regarding transfers, Deandre Ayton’s commitment to Arizona and Dillon Brooks’ foot.
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) Southern Conference commissioner John Iamarino has hinted that the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments in the collegiate sports league could be moved from Asheville, North Carolina.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports (http://avlne.ws/2cDKREk) that Iamarino’s comments Tuesday came a day after the NCAA pulled seven championship events out of North Carolina because of a law requiring transgender people to use bathrooms matching the sex on their birth certificate.
Iamarino said Tuesday that upcoming meetings of athletic administrators in October and of presidents and chancellors in November could result in the tournament being moved. He says the groups will “have a full discussion” on the issue.
Currently, the 2017 SoCon tournament is scheduled for March 2-6 at the U.S. Cellular Center.
Information from: The Asheville Citizen-Times, http://www.citizen-times.com