This is the week where it all went to hell.
16 of the top 25 teams in the AP Poll lost in the last week, with two of those 16 — Arizona and Iowa — losing twice. So at this point … I don’t even know. I may let you maniacs do this for me next Monday, because the struggle to find teams that are good enough to be ranked, let alone in and around the top ten, is way harder than it looks.
Anyway, here is today’s CBT Top 25:
[ Coaches Poll | AP Poll | NBC Bracketology ]
1. Kansas (25-4, LW: No. 1): The Jayhawks clinched their 12th straight Big 12 title on Saturday, which is a run that we may never, ever see matched again.
2. Michigan State (24-5, LW: No. 3): For my money, the Spartans are the best team in the country right now and are just about assured a spot in my Final Four when the brackets are released in 14 days.
3. Virginia (22-6, LW: No. 5): I was not a believer in Virginia earlier in the year. Their improvements on the defensive end of the floor, combined with Malcolm Brogdon’s emergence as a bonafide superstar, gets them the title of best team in the ACC.
4. Villanova (25-4, LW: No. 4): I’m not putting too much stock in Villanova losing at Xavier when they beat Xavier by 31 points at home.
5. Xavier (25-4, LW: No. 6): For me, the loss at Seton Hall on Sunday was almost as concerning as the win over Villanova was on Wednesday.
6. Oklahoma (22-6, LW: No. 2): The Sooners took another loss this week, this time to Texas. They’ve lost three of their last four games, a stretch in which they are shooting 33.1 percent from three.
7. West Virginia (22-7, LW: No. 9): I don’t trust the Mountaineers as an elite team — I don’t trust anyone that relies on an all-out press the way Press Virginia relies on an all-out press — but I don’t trust anyone else either, so …
8. Oregon (23-6, LW: No. 11): I went all-in on Oregon three weeks ago, before they went and lost at Stanford and Cal. I’m back all-in on the Ducks.
9. Utah (22-7, LW: No. 19): I think I’m also all-in on Utah, assuming the Brandon Taylor we’ve seen the last three weeks is, you know, the new Brandon Taylor.
10. Miami (23-5, LW: No. 16): The Hurricanes bounced back from the embarrassing loss at North Carolina by beating Virginia and Louisville. Not bad, ‘Canes. Not bad.
11. Kentucky (21-8, LW: No. 10)
12. Louisville (22-7, LW: No. 13)
13. Duke (21-8, LW: No. 14)
14. North Carolina (23-6, LW: No. 8)
15. Cal (20-8, LW: No. 23)
16. Texas (19-10, LW: No. 24)
17. Purdue (22-7, LW: No. 17)
18. Indiana (23-6, LW: No. 20)
19. Iowa (20-7, LW: No. 7)
20. Wisconsin (19-10, LW: UR)
21. Maryland (23-6, LW: No. 12)
22. Arizona (22-7, LW: No. 15)
23. Iowa State (20-9, LW: No. 18)
24. Baylor (21-8, LW: No. 22)
25. Notre Dame (18-9, LW: No. 21)
DROPPED OUT: No. 25 USC
NEW ADDITIONS: No. 20 Wisconsin