Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Reports: Drexel to hire Army West Point’s Zach Spiker as head coach

Larry Toomey

In this Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015, photo, Army head coach Zach Spiker stands on the sidelines during an NCAA college basketball game against Navy in Christl Arena at the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y. Since Mike Krzyzewski left Army to coach Duke in 1980, Army has had only two winning seasons. It could be on its way to a third, sitting 11-5 though struggling in the Patriot League as key contributors have been injured. (AP Photo/Times Herald-Record/Kelly Marsh)

AP

After parting ways with Bruiser Flint earlier this month, Drexel athletic director Dr. Eric Zillmer has found the former head coach’s replacement.

Army West Point head coach Zach Spiker has been hired by Drexel, with the news being first reported by the Drexel Triangle (the school’s independent student newspaper). Spiker spent seven seasons at Army West Point, putting together an overall record of 102-112. The Black Knights won 19 games this season despite being hit hard by the injury bug early in Patriot League play.

Only two other coaches in the history of the program have managed to win at least 19 games in a season: Bob Knight and Mike Krzyzewski.

Spiker’s overall record isn’t overwhelming, but Army made strides during his time at the helm. In three of his final four seasons the Black Knights won at least 15 games, a mark the program reached just once since joining the Patriot League in 1990. And Spiker’s 16-15 campaign in 2012-13 was the program’s first above .500 since Les Wothke led the Black Knights to a 16-13 record in 1984-85.

After winning a total of 50 games in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 seasons Drexel struggled under Flint, posting just one season above .500 in his final four seasons in charge. Drexel went 6-25 this season, which included a 3-15 mark in CAA play. Among the players Spiker and his staff will need to account for the loss of is guard Tavon Allen, who led the team in scoring at 13.1 points per game. Two of Drexel’s top four scorers were seniors, with forward Kazembe Abif being the other.