Prior to embarking on a lengthy NBA career that resulted in one MVP trophy (1993) and a spot in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, Charles Barkley played three seasons at Auburn University and to this day remains arguably the greatest basketball player in school history (current assistant Chuck Person is the school’s all-time leading scorer). Barkley played three seasons for Sonny Smith on the Plains, but according to Brandon Marcello of AL.com the “Round Mound of Rebound” states in a documentary set to debut later this month that he was nearly done after two.
Plenty of players have frustrating moments during their career, and that was the case for Barkley as he and Smith butted heads on occasion. Also of note in the documentary is the school Barkley had plans of transferring to: Alabama.
“I called the coaches at Alabama at the end of my sophomore year and told them I’m transferring to Alabama because I had just had enough,” Barkley said.
“I got on him really bad one day and he couldn’t take it any more,” Smith says in the documentary. “He just walked off the floor and quit.”
The documentary “Bo, Barkley and the Big Hurt” focuses on the careers of Auburn greats Barkley, Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas, who all moved on to put together impactful careers in the athletic world (and Tecmo Bowl in the case of Bo) after their time at Auburn. But the possibility of Barkley making the move to Auburn’s biggest rival is one that leads to asking what would have happened with his career had he followed through.
While some conferences prohibit athletes from transferring within the league, and as we’ve seen many schools will take the step of not releasing an athlete to fellow league members. But the SEC’s transfer rule is simply that an athlete would have to sit out a year (the usual NCAA rule) before being allowed to play, and they can receive an athletic grant-in-aid as well.
Had Barkley actually transferred, would his career still conclude with a spot in the Hall of Fame? And, having to sit out a season, when would Barkley be drafted in the 1985 NBA Draft? Barkley was picked fifth overall in the 1984 NBA Draft, considered by many to be the greatest draft in the history of the NBA.
Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.
Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.
“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.
“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”
Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.
This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.
Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.
“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.
This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.
He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.
The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.