Kareem Canty

Has Marshall’s Kareem Canty entered transfer limbo?

Leave a comment

When ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported Tuesday morning that Marshall, despite repeated requests, was denying Kareem Canty’s transfer, it opened a window into the murky situation that is guard’s transfer. At first glance, Goodman’s report confirmed what the freshman himself had tweeted in mid-March. At that point, Canty, who was one of the nation’s best newcomers this past season, had an assist rate around 30 percent, which ranked in Ken Pomeroy’s top 100 (and seventh best of frosh point guards) and was expected to be a cornerstone for whomever Marshall hired to replace coach Tom Herrion, who recruited Canty to Huntington but had been bought out by the school.

Canty tweeted weeks ago, “Smh bad year bad news I loved playing for him not his fault we lost games,” as well as, “But I can’t hold this in any longer I will not be returning back to Marshall next year! It’s been fun.” However, since both tweets were deleted, it appeared Canty would remain at the school until the new coach’s hiring, which is why Zach Braziller’s NY Post report this past weekend that Canty was no longer a member of the Thundering Herd was surprising.

NBC Sports emailed men’s basketball sports information director Andrew Piper on Saturday morning to confirm Braziller’s report, and we were told Canty had, in fact, not asked for his transfer. With regards to Goodman’s tweet, though, that seems contradictory. NBC Sports reached out to Jason Corriher, the school’s assistant athletic director for media relations, on Tuesday and were informed that Mike Hamrick, Marshall’s athletic director, had “…told those guys there wouldn’t be a release until meet with new coach.” Since Marshall’s coaching search is entering its fourth week, that obviously has not happened. Corriher was also asked to confirm his colleague’s statement that Canty hadn’t even asked for a transfer — according to Corriher, “I don’t know and I am not going to comment on whether Kareem has requested his release.”

It isn’t surprising that Marshall wants desperately to keep Canty on the roster. He is a guard who will be a future all-Conference USA first team performer, a player who instinctively understands how to create scoring opportunities for his teammates. Without Canty, a team with promise becomes more of a rebuild. But the combination of Goodman’s reports and the conflicting stances within Marshall’s communications department indicates there is a strange situation developing in Huntington. And in the absence of any reports, or even rumors, regarding the conclusion of Marshall’s coaching search, Canty could be in limbo for the foreseeable future.

Syracuse receives mixed news on sanctions appeals

Jim Boeheim
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Wednesday the NCAA made its ruling on two¬†appeals of sanctions made by Syracuse University, with the news being mixed for the men’s basketball program.

On the positive side the NCAA ruled that Syracuse will be docked two scholarships per season for the next four years, as opposed to the original ruling of three. As a result Jim Boeheim’s program only has to account for the loss of eight total scholarships, meaning that they’ll have 11 to fill in each of the next four seasons as opposed to ten.

One scholarship may not seem like a big deal, but in a sport where you only get 13 (when not dealing with sanctions) getting that grant-in-aid back really helps from a recruiting standpoint.

As for the negatives, they both concern Boeheim. Not only has there yet to be a ruling on Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension that goes into effect when ACC play begins in January (that appeal is being heard separately), but the appeal to reinstate the wins that were vacated as part of the sanctions was denied. As a result Boeheim officially has 868 wins instead of 969 (not counting today’s game against Charlotte).

And with Mike Hopkins set to take over as head coach in 2018, the denial means that college basketball will have to wait quite some time before anyone threatens to join Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the 1,000 wins club.

While not having the wins officially reinstated does hurt, getting a scholarship back for each of the next four seasons is a bigger deal when it comes to the long-term health of the Syracuse program. Also of great importance will be the ruling regarding Boeheim’s suspension, as a suspended coach is not allowed to have any contact with his players or coaching staff while serving the penalty.

And with the original ruling due to take up half of Syracuse’s league slate, not having Boeheim (or the chance to speak with him) is a big deal when it comes to this current team.

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe cleared by NCAA

Chris Mullin
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Leave a comment

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season and will be eligible immediately, the school announced on Wednesday.

Yakwe is a 6-foot-8 forward that reclassified and enrolled at St. John’s this fall. He attended the same high school as Kansas forward Cheick Diallo, who was also cleared by the NCAA to play today.

St. John’s played in the Maui Invitational this week, and Yakwe did not take part. His first game with the Johnnies will be on Dec. 2nd against Fordham if the program plans to play his this season.

The question that must be asked, however, is whether or not he will suit up or simply redshirt. The Johnnies are in the midst of a serious rebuild and will be without their other elite recruit this season, Marcus Lovett. Lovett was ruled a partial qualifier. Would it make sense to burn a year of eligibility on what make amount to a wasted season, or will head coach Chris Mullin opt to save that year for down the road?