No. 8 Duke, Maryland end rivalry in fitting fashion

2 Comments

source: Getty Images

Dez Wells was well on his way to being a legend in College Park.

Maryland’s star guard had taken over late in the second half as the Terps made their final trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium as a member of the ACC. For all we know, it may be the final installment of the rivalry if the folks that plan the matchups for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge decide not to make the obvious decision to force the two teams to play.

That’s what made Wells’ second half so impressive.

He took over down the stretch scoring 15 of his 17 points in the second half, capped off by a three with just over a minute left that game the Terps a 67-64 lead. No. 8 Duke would score the next two buckets, giving them a 68-67 lead on the final possession.

source:
This is how close Maryland was to winning (ESPN)

Maryland had the ball, with just over seven seconds left on their baseline. Charles Mitchell, who had been overpowering everyone Mike Krzyzewski threw at him in the post, got the ball about 12 feet from the rim. He came across the middle of the lane, faked the spin over his right shoulder and put up a jump-hook with his right hand that hit the rim … then hit the back board … then hung on the front of the rim before finally falling harmlessly into the arms of Amile Jefferson.

Duke wins, 69-67.

If this is, indeed, the end of this rivalry, it could not have ended in a more fitting manner. An overmatched Maryland team, fighting and scrapping for their tournament lives, giving a Duke team chock-full of all-americans and Final Four expectations everything they can handle, the game being decided by the way that the ball happened to fall off the rim.

It was everything you could ask for in a basketball game. Raucous environment, great individual performances, two teams leaving everything they had on the floor, a national television audience, a thrilling finish.

That moment when Mitchell’s shot hung on the rim? That is what makes college basketball great. Maryland’s season is more or less boiled down to whether or not they’ll have a chance to lose in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament or if they’ll be banished to the NIT. In other words, they aren’t going to be contending for ACC titles or National Championships. They just want a chance to play on March’s biggest stage.

In order to do so, they needed to beat their biggest rival on the road.

That shot from Mitchell? That ball’s momentum carrying it away from the basket instead of into the basket? Not only did it cost the Terps their best chance to salvage what has been a disastrous season to date, but it would have given them bragging rights for … well, for eternity as far as we know.

Instead, Maryland fans can now look forward to trying to earn a home game in the NIT and their future league matchups with the likes of Purdue, Nebraska and Rutgers.

Coach K has already said he won’t play Maryland in the non-conference. To him, this rivalry is dead.

If only the people whose dollars fueled realignment had a way to force these two to play every season.

Shayok and Reuter transferring from Virginia

Photo by Chet Strange/Getty Images
2 Comments

Virginia announced the departure of two players Wednesday.

Marial Shayok and Jerred Shayok will both transfer out of the program, the school said.

“Marial and Jarred informed me today that they are leaving the Virginia basketball program and are looking to transfer to other schools,” Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett said in a statement released by the school. “I thank Marial and Jarred for their hard work and contributions to our program, and wish them success in the future.”

Shayok, a a 6-foot-5 junior, played 20.9 minutes per game last season for the Cavaliers, averaging 8.9 points and 2.4 rebounds per game while shooting 44.5 percent from the floor. The Ottawa native started 23 games in three seasons with Virginia.

Reuter played a minimal role for the Cavaliers, averaging just 10.8 minutes and 3.8 rebounds per game.

Wake’s Collins declares for NBA draft without hiring agent

Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
Leave a comment

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) Wake Forest’s John Collins is entering the NBA draft but will not hire an agent and is keeping open the option of returning to school for his junior season.

In a statement Wednesday announcing the decision, Collins said he wants “to make an informed decision about what is best for my future.”

Collins is a 6-foot-10 forward who as a sophomore blossomed into one of the best big men in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was voted to the Associated Press all-ACC team.

He averaged 19.2 points and 9.8 rebounds, putting together a string of 12 consecutive 20-point games late in the season.

His progression was a big reason why the Demon Deacons earned their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2010. Kansas State beat Wake Forest in the First Four.

More AP college basketball: http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org

Porter, Jr. will ask for Washington release

Photo by Brace Hemmelgarn/Getty Images
1 Comment

There may be an overwhelming assumption on where Michael Porter, Jr. – and his father – will ultimately end up, but the five-star recruit is said publicly that he see his re-recruitment process through.

Porter, Jr. said in a teleconference Wednesday that he will ask for his release from Washington, and his father, a former Huskies assistant, has been offered a job at Missouri by new Tigers coach Cuonzo Martin.

“Right now I’m just trying to take it slow with my family and weigh my options,” Porter Jr. said, according to the Kansas City Star. “I plan to get my (national letter of intent) from Washington back and just go from there, not saying that I’m not going to Washington anymore, but I just want to get it back and weigh my options.”

The prevailing thought has been that the Porters will ultimately land in Columbia, where they have significant history.

Still, it would appear at least publicly that Porter, Jr., a potential No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, will weigh his options in at least the short-term.

Calipari signs two-year extension with Kentucky

AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez
1 Comment

Kentucky continues to take care of John Calipari.

The Wildcats coach has received a two-year extension, keeping him under contract in Lexington through the 2024 season, the school announced Wednesday.

The contract will pay Calipari $7.75 million next season and increase to $8 million per season thereafter.

“John has achieved consistent championship-level performance at Kentucky,” Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart said in a statement. “No one in America is better suited for everything that comes with being the coach here. Not only has he attained incredible success on the court, he is also a leader in our community and in college basketball.

“We have been blessed to have him and Ellen here for the last eight years and we are blessed they will continue to call Kentucky home.”

Not only does the deal extend Calipari, but it continues to keep Kentucky competitive with the NBA, which would seem to be the only outlet that would even potentially tempt Calipari away from Kentucky. An NBA franchise would have to make him among the highest-paid coaches in the league to even match Kentucky financially.

Of course, given that Calipari has spurned interest from the league since returning to college in 2000, it seems unlikely that financial considerations would be the lone or heaviest variable in making a decision to move on.

Certainly, Calipari has an excellent thing going at Kentucky as the premier recruiting program in the country that has enjoyed serious success on the court, culminating in a 2012 national title and a 38-0 start to the 2015 season before a loss in the Final Four.

“The last eight years at the University of Kentucky have been a terrific ride,” Calipari said in a statement. “This extension shows our full commitment to each other. I believe this school is the gold standard and I’m so thankful and blessed that this university has given me this opportunity at this point in my career.”

The Wildcats face UCLA in the Sweet 16 on Friday.

Louisville’s Mitchell declaring for draft, won’t hire an agent

Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Louisville’s Donovan Mitchell is the latest to decide to see what the NBA might offer.

“I have decided to test the waters and not hire an agent!” Mitchell wrote in an Instagram post Wednesday. “I am excited to work out this summer for teams and hopefully participate in the NBA combine! I want it to be clear I have not decided to leave Louisville!”

Mitchell, who is expected to be joined by dozens of players, is taking advantage of new NCAA rules that allow him to work out for teams and attend the NBA draft combine before making a decision on whether to remain in the draft and return to school.

Players have until May 24 to withdraw from the draft and return to school.

Mitchell averaged 15.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a sophomore, shooting 40.8 percent overall and 35.4 percent on 3-point attempts.

The 6-foot-3 guard is projected as a potential first-round pick, but should he return, the Cardinals would project as one of the top teams in the country with nearly the entire core returning from this year’s 25-9 squad.