University of Louisville's Chane Behanan celebrates his team's win over North Carolina A&T after winning their second round NCAA basketball game at Rupp Arena in Lexington

Rick Pitino expects Chane Behanan back ‘in a short period of time’


When Louisville head coach Rick Pitino announced that junior forward Chane Behanan was suspended indefinitely, many wondered when Behanan would be back with the program. At the time of the announcement Pitino stated that the suspension would be lengthy, but how Behanan handled his personal affairs would determine just how soon he’d be able to return.

On Thursday night, Pitino stated during a book signing at Kentucky Wesleyan University that he expects Behanan back with the program “in a short period of time” according to Cole Claybourn of the Messenger-Inquirer.

“The reason he’s suspended and not off the team: He told the truth,” Pitino said. “I said OK. There’s going to be a penalty and a price to pay, but he told the truth. We’ll get through this. Just do the right things and he’ll be back on the team in a short period of time.”

“Short is relative, now,” Pitino said. “I don’t say in the next couple of weeks. He’s doing the right things right now. I was skeptical about a week ago, but so far this week he’s put in everything we’ve asked him to do. It’s not easy for him.

“It won’t be any time in the next couple of weeks, but I expect him back.”

Behanan averaged 9.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game for the national champion Cardinals, who have to account for the departure of center Gorgui Dieng and point guard Peyton Siva as they look to repeat. In the backcourt Louisville has plenty of depth, featuring seniors Russ Smith and Luke Hancock and juniors Wayne Blackshear and Chris Jones.

But that isn’t the case in the front court, with senior Stephen Van Treese and sophomore Montrezl Harrell the lone returnees now that Behanan’s been suspended. Louisville can go small given the amount of talent they have on the perimeter, but Behanan’s suspension puts the Cardinals in a position where they can ill-afford significant foul trouble (or an injury) for any of their big men.

We still don’t know just how long Behanan’s suspension will be, but there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the Cincinnati native.

SMU won’t appeal tournament ban, Brown suspension

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.

Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.

“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.

“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”

Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.

This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.

Kevin Marfo commits to George Washington

Leave a comment

Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.

“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.

This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.

He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.

The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.  The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.