AP Photo

AD DeLoss Dodds on Texas athletics: ‘I worry more about basketball’

Leave a comment

Texas head coach Rick Barnes is on the hot seat.

This shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. The Longhorns have struggled mightily in the past two seasons, getting knocked out in the Round of 64 in the 2012 tournament and missing the NCAA tournament all together last season after finishing the year 16-18.

Barnes hasn’t been able to recruit the state of Texas despite the fact that there has been a talent boom in recent years. He lost Myck Kabongo, Ioannis Papapetrou (both went pro), Julien Lewis and Shelden McClellan (both transferred) this offseason. Current Texas athletic director and Barnes supporter DeLoss Dodds will be stepping down soon.

There’s a valid reason that he found himself at the top of this list.

But apparently we’re not the only ones that feel that way about Barnes. Earlier today, Pete Thamel of SI.com published a story on the downfall of Texas athletics, and buried on the second page were some pretty harsh words about the Longhorn’s basketball coach:

“I worry more about basketball,” Dodds said. “If I were going to pick one [program] to worry more about, I worry more about basketball.”

Added the high-ranking Texas official: “I can’t imagine [Barnes] turning it around.”


“I can’t put my finger on it or pinpoint exactly, but we’re not getting Texas kids,” Dodds said. “We’ve had a lot of kids come into the program that are pretty good players that have left, not to go to the NBA.”


“They were the least competitive Texas team, in terms of winning and competing, that I’d seen,” said a veteran Big 12 coach of the Longhorns’ performance last season. “They used to have rugged, physical dudes who playing for Texas mattered to them. Last year, they just folded, like a lot of guys on the team didn’t care if they won or not.”

When the administrators at a football school with a struggling football program are more worried about the basketball coach, well, that’s not a good sign for Barnes.

Syracuse receives mixed news on sanctions appeals

Jim Boeheim
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Wednesday the NCAA made its ruling on two¬†appeals of sanctions made by Syracuse University, with the news being mixed for the men’s basketball program.

On the positive side the NCAA ruled that Syracuse will be docked two scholarships per season for the next four years, as opposed to the original ruling of three. As a result Jim Boeheim’s program only has to account for the loss of eight total scholarships, meaning that they’ll have 11 to fill in each of the next four seasons as opposed to ten.

One scholarship may not seem like a big deal, but in a sport where you only get 13 (when not dealing with sanctions) getting that grant-in-aid back really helps from a recruiting standpoint.

As for the negatives, they both concern Boeheim. Not only has there yet to be a ruling on Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension that goes into effect when ACC play begins in January (that appeal is being heard separately), but the appeal to reinstate the wins that were vacated as part of the sanctions was denied. As a result Boeheim officially has 868 wins instead of 969 (not counting today’s game against Charlotte).

And with Mike Hopkins set to take over as head coach in 2018, the denial means that college basketball will have to wait quite some time before anyone threatens to join Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the 1,000 wins club.

While not having the wins officially reinstated does hurt, getting a scholarship back for each of the next four seasons is a bigger deal when it comes to the long-term health of the Syracuse program. Also of great importance will be the ruling regarding Boeheim’s suspension, as a suspended coach is not allowed to have any contact with his players or coaching staff while serving the penalty.

And with the original ruling due to take up half of Syracuse’s league slate, not having Boeheim (or the chance to speak with him) is a big deal when it comes to this current team.

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe cleared by NCAA

Chris Mullin
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Leave a comment

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season and will be eligible immediately, the school announced on Wednesday.

Yakwe is a 6-foot-8 forward that reclassified and enrolled at St. John’s this fall. He attended the same high school as Kansas forward Cheick Diallo, who was also cleared by the NCAA to play today.

St. John’s played in the Maui Invitational this week, and Yakwe did not take part. His first game with the Johnnies will be on Dec. 2nd against Fordham if the program plans to play his this season.

The question that must be asked, however, is whether or not he will suit up or simply redshirt. The Johnnies are in the midst of a serious rebuild and will be without their other elite recruit this season, Marcus Lovett. Lovett was ruled a partial qualifier. Would it make sense to burn a year of eligibility on what make amount to a wasted season, or will head coach Chris Mullin opt to save that year for down the road?