Cody Larson has been cleared by the NCAA to play immediately at South Dakota State.
The Florida transfer received a legislative release waiver for a one-time transfer exception on Monday, meaning that he’ll have two years of eligibility remaining beginning in 2013-2014.
“We want to thank the committee and the NCAA for taking the time to look at Cody’s waiver,” head coach Scott Nagy said in a release. “We appreciate the fact that this ruling allows him the opportunity to be eligible to compete immediately.”
A star in South Dakota during his high school days, Larson couldn’t find a way to stay out of trouble once he committed to Florida. He was suspended from his high school team as a senior after an incident with prescription pain pills and was suspended by Florida following a bizarre incident outside a bar in Florida in which he allegedly tried to break into a car after sneaking into a bar after closing time to ask about a lost wallet.
He did not meet the requirements set forth by Billy Donovan to remain on the team after the 2011-2012 season, and thus spent last year focusing on improving his academics and life off the court instead of playing basketball.
Larson is a talented basketball player, and better than a typical Summit League athlete. With the Jackrabbits losing Nate Wolters to graduation this offseason, he’s the kind of pick-up that could help them avoid sliding back in the league standings. Larson hasn’t played in two years, but there’s something to be said for an athlete that has had his career taken away from him.
Larson is getting a second chance and, if he makes the most of it, the risk Nagy took bringing him in will look ingenious.
Wednesday the NCAA made its ruling on two appeals of sanctions made by Syracuse University, with the news being mixed for the men’s basketball program.
On the positive side the NCAA ruled that Syracuse will be docked two scholarships per season for the next four years, as opposed to the original ruling of three. As a result Jim Boeheim’s program only has to account for the loss of eight total scholarships, meaning that they’ll have 11 to fill in each of the next four seasons as opposed to ten.
One scholarship may not seem like a big deal, but in a sport where you only get 13 (when not dealing with sanctions) getting that grant-in-aid back really helps from a recruiting standpoint.
As for the negatives, they both concern Boeheim. Not only has there yet to be a ruling on Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension that goes into effect when ACC play begins in January (that appeal is being heard separately), but the appeal to reinstate the wins that were vacated as part of the sanctions was denied. As a result Boeheim officially has 868 wins instead of 969 (not counting today’s game against Charlotte).
And with Mike Hopkins set to take over as head coach in 2018, the denial means that college basketball will have to wait quite some time before anyone threatens to join Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the 1,000 wins club.
While not having the wins officially reinstated does hurt, getting a scholarship back for each of the next four seasons is a bigger deal when it comes to the long-term health of the Syracuse program. Also of great importance will be the ruling regarding Boeheim’s suspension, as a suspended coach is not allowed to have any contact with his players or coaching staff while serving the penalty.
And with the original ruling due to take up half of Syracuse’s league slate, not having Boeheim (or the chance to speak with him) is a big deal when it comes to this current team.
St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season and will be eligible immediately, the school announced on Wednesday.
Yakwe is a 6-foot-8 forward that reclassified and enrolled at St. John’s this fall. He attended the same high school as Kansas forward Cheick Diallo, who was also cleared by the NCAA to play today.
St. John’s played in the Maui Invitational this week, and Yakwe did not take part. His first game with the Johnnies will be on Dec. 2nd against Fordham if the program plans to play his this season.
The question that must be asked, however, is whether or not he will suit up or simply redshirt. The Johnnies are in the midst of a serious rebuild and will be without their other elite recruit this season, Marcus Lovett. Lovett was ruled a partial qualifier. Would it make sense to burn a year of eligibility on what make amount to a wasted season, or will head coach Chris Mullin opt to save that year for down the road?