Earlier this summer, rumors swirled that Rupp Arena may undergo a face-lift in the near future. This news came with some very mixed emotions to many, and that hasn’t changed in the subsequent months.
Change can be good, but not to all in Big Blue Nation who feel that renovating Rupp Arena and potentially changing the name of the arena — gasp — would cause a divide among the fan base. In the latest update of this saga, mayor Jim Gray said he welcomes all kinds of second-guessing when it comes to renovating Rupp, according to KentuckySports.com: “It’s been very informing to hear those voices, which illustrate just how much people care and the attachment they have to this shrine.”
A major part of the renovation would be to add luxury suites, loge boxes and a private lounge. Suites and other lavish amenities — who wouldn’t want this? On the surface it looks nice, but the primary issue is that ticket prices would almost assuredly increase, and that is reason for concern for much of Big Blue Nation. Fans whose wallets aren’t quite as thick as some others may be forced to give up their seats.
University of Kentucky trustee Carol Martin “Bill” Gatton summed up his thoughts on the possibility of fans losing their seats due to a rise in prices: “That’s not fair.”
As for naming rights, Gray saw multiple possibilities: the Lexington Convention Center (Alltech and an undisclosed second firm have made bids), Rupp Arena, the entire entertainment district, an outdoor amphitheater and who knows what other elements. But he called adding a corporate name to Rupp Arena a “last resort.”
Gatton also said he’d give “a few million” to Gray’s project if the city agreed to a scaled-down renovation: Only upgrade the restrooms, plus install a scoreboard over center court and electronic ribbon signage at the bottom of the upper arena. After noting that a scoreboard over center court would require a “substantial” strengthening of Rupp Arena’s roof, Gray showed little interest in a modest renovation. “To me, it’s worth doing only if it’s extraordinary and remarkable,” he said.
Would Kentucky basketball have it not be “extraordinary” or “remarkable?” That’s all they know.
Just what you wanted to see, a video of former Michigan State star Denzel Valentine throwing an alley-oop off the glass to current Michigan State star Miles Bridges in a Pro-Am in Michigan:
A day after Grayson Allen threw an alley-oop to Trevon Duval for Duke’s entry into the #DriveByDunkChallenge, Kentucky’s team of freshmen decided to do one of their own:
That would be, in order, Johnny David, Jarrod Vanderbilt, Nick Richards, PJ Washington and Kevin Knox abusing some poor sap’s rim somewhere in Lexington.
But was that better than John Calipari’s attempt?
Watching Michigan State’s Miles Bridges throw down high-level dunks in local summer pro-ams has been a good way to pass the time the last few weeks.
The 6-foot-7 Bridges has been annihilating rims all summer as he had more ridiculous dunks on Tuesday night. Playing with former Michigan State star Denzel Valentine and some of his current Spartans teammates, Bridges had more crowd-pleasing plays to add to his summer reel.
Lansing State Journal reporter James Edwards III has been on the scene for Bridges’ games all summer as he has more dunks from the future lottery pick.
Minnesota is keeping a big-time shooter at home as Class of 2018 shooting guard Gabe Kalscheur pledged to the Golden Gophers on Tuesday.
The 6-foot-4 Kalscheur is the third in-state prospect to pledge to head coach Richard Pitino in the Class of 2018 as he joins three-star forward Jarvis Thomas and four-star big man Daniel Oturu. The three-star Kalscheur gives Minnesota a valuable floor spacer and a winner as he’s a three-time state champion at DeLaSalle. All three of these commitments also played together with Howard Pulley in the Nike EYBL.
During this spring and summer in the Nike EYBL, Kalscheur averaged 14.9 points and shot 39 percent from three-point range as he made 61 treys in 21 games.
Pitino has certainly done a nice job of keeping local players home as he’s hoping that trend continues with upcoming in-state five-star prospects like 2018 point guard Tre Jones and 2019 forward Matthew Hurt. The Golden Gophers will have to win national recruiting battles to keep those guys home, but they’ve done a nice job of getting the other guys that they need to keep home.
North Carolina and the NCAA have released additional responses and set the dates for a future hearing on Tuesday amid an investigation into paper classes given by the university’s African-American Studies Department.
The NCAA’s allegations center around UNC’s athletes — most notably members of football, men’s and women’s basketball teams — allegedly being guided to the fake classes in order to keep GPAs high enough to remain eligible. The fake classes typically had a high number of athletes enrolled each semester.
While North Carolina argued in May that this should be a school matter and not an NCAA matter, the NCAA responded to the matter in its belief that it has the right to investigate the classes. North Carolina is facing five top-level charges in the case with lack of institutional control among the charges.
A two-day hearing will be held with the NCAA in Nashville on August 16-17.
“The hearing is the next step in bringing closure to this longstanding issue by allowing us the opportunity to address the Committee on Infractions and present the facts,” said Joel Curran, vice chancellor of University communications. “The NCAA has requested certain individuals from the University attend the proceedings. It is standard practice for the current head coaches of programs referenced in a notice of allegations to attend. Therefore, Coaches Larry Fedora (football), Sylvia Hatchell (women’s basketball) and Roy Williams (men’s basketball) will accompany University representatives to the hearing.”