While they weren’t the subjects of a movie meant to depict their experiences like the 1966 Texas Western basketball team (“Glory Road”), the 1963 Loyola (Ill.) Ramblers hold a special place in the history of college basketball.
Head coach George Ireland’s team would win the national title that season with four African-American starters, a development that served as a catalyst for the integration of college basketball.
One of the Ramblers’ NCAA tournament games was played against a Mississippi State team that had to sneak out of its own state to play in the game. Prior to that contest Mississippi State did not participate in postseason play due to a state law that prohibited teams from playing against teams that used African-American players.
This past December the two schools met for the first time since “The Game of Change” to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the tournament meeting, with surviving members of both teams honored throughout the weekend (Loyola won the game, 59-51).
On Thursday Loyola met with President Barack Obama at the White House, capping a two-day trip to the nation’s capital. Among the seven surviving players making the trip were Les Hunter, Jerry Harkness and John Egan, three of the Ramblers’ five starters in the national title game.
Harkness said Obama put him at ease calling him “Cap,” and that they discussed being left-handers who love basketball.
Harkness said the exchange prompted another former player, guard Ron Miller, to ask Obama: “You’re left-handed, but can you go to your right? Because Jerry (Harkness) could never go to his right.”
Obama, Harkness said, replied: “I can’t either, but we’re just so fast that they can’t keep up, even though they know which side we’re going at.”
Current head coach Porter Moser made the trip, as did Judy Van Dyck (the late coach Ireland’s daughter) and university president Rev. Michael Garanzini. On Wednesday the traveling party was led on a tour of U.S. Capitol.
Raphielle can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.
Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.
Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.
“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.
“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”
Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.
This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.
Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.
“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.
This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.
He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.
The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game. The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.