Eastern Michigan v Syracuse

Eastern Michigan suspends forward Glenn Bryant following arrest

Leave a comment

Eastern Michigan forward Glenn Bryant was arraigned on charges of assault by strangulation and aggravated domestic violence after being accused of choking his girlfriend during an argument between the two on Monday.

The assault by strangulation charge is a felony, while the domestic violence charge is a misdemeanor.

The 19-year-old woman called police and met investigators at the Peninsular Place manager’s office Monday afternoon after the alleged assault. [Ypsilanti PD Sgt. Tom] Eberts said the woman told police the argument was about “nothing in particular” and the couple, who had been dating for one year, argues frequently.

“During the argument, the victim claims the suspect choked her,” Eberts said.

Bryant was suspended by EMU following the arraignment, and will remain suspended “until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved” according to school officials.

“Eastern Michigan University Athletics takes this matter very seriously and is continuing to gather information about the incident from the police and the prosecutor’s office. The conduct of our student-athletes is of the utmost importance to Eastern Michigan,” athletic director Melody Reifel-Werner said in a statement released by the school.

“Following our Student-Athlete Discipline Policy, Bryant will be automatically suspended as the policy states, ‘until the charges are dropped, dismissed or otherwise resolved.’ In addition, student athletes also are subject to the University’s Student Code of Conduct, administered by Eastern’s Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards.”

In his first season at EMU, Bryant averaged 10.6 points and 4.5 rebounds per contest. Bryant sat out the 2011-12 season after spending the first two seasons of his college career at Arkansas, where he didn’t play more than 13 minutes per game in either campaign.

Raphielle also writes for the NBE Basketball Report and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.

Syracuse receives mixed news on sanctions appeals

Jim Boeheim
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Wednesday the NCAA made its ruling on two appeals of sanctions made by Syracuse University, with the news being mixed for the men’s basketball program.

On the positive side the NCAA ruled that Syracuse will be docked two scholarships per season for the next four years, as opposed to the original ruling of three. As a result Jim Boeheim’s program only has to account for the loss of eight total scholarships, meaning that they’ll have 11 to fill in each of the next four seasons as opposed to ten.

One scholarship may not seem like a big deal, but in a sport where you only get 13 (when not dealing with sanctions) getting that grant-in-aid back really helps from a recruiting standpoint.

As for the negatives, they both concern Boeheim. Not only has there yet to be a ruling on Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension that goes into effect when ACC play begins in January (that appeal is being heard separately), but the appeal to reinstate the wins that were vacated as part of the sanctions was denied. As a result Boeheim officially has 868 wins instead of 969 (not counting today’s game against Charlotte).

And with Mike Hopkins set to take over as head coach in 2018, the denial means that college basketball will have to wait quite some time before anyone threatens to join Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the 1,000 wins club.

While not having the wins officially reinstated does hurt, getting a scholarship back for each of the next four seasons is a bigger deal when it comes to the long-term health of the Syracuse program. Also of great importance will be the ruling regarding Boeheim’s suspension, as a suspended coach is not allowed to have any contact with his players or coaching staff while serving the penalty.

And with the original ruling due to take up half of Syracuse’s league slate, not having Boeheim (or the chance to speak with him) is a big deal when it comes to this current team.

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe cleared by NCAA

Chris Mullin
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Leave a comment

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season and will be eligible immediately, the school announced on Wednesday.

Yakwe is a 6-foot-8 forward that reclassified and enrolled at St. John’s this fall. He attended the same high school as Kansas forward Cheick Diallo, who was also cleared by the NCAA to play today.

St. John’s played in the Maui Invitational this week, and Yakwe did not take part. His first game with the Johnnies will be on Dec. 2nd against Fordham if the program plans to play his this season.

The question that must be asked, however, is whether or not he will suit up or simply redshirt. The Johnnies are in the midst of a serious rebuild and will be without their other elite recruit this season, Marcus Lovett. Lovett was ruled a partial qualifier. Would it make sense to burn a year of eligibility on what make amount to a wasted season, or will head coach Chris Mullin opt to save that year for down the road?