Doug McDermott

Doug McDermott still debating whether to enter the NBA Draft

Leave a comment

There is an argument to be made that the most important NBA Draft early entry decision will be that of Creighton’s Doug McDermott.

McDermott is a first-team all-american, which is something that doesn’t often come through the Bluejay’s Omaha campus. With him on the roster, Creighton is going to be a tournament team with a chance to make quite a bit of noise in their first season in the new Big East. They may not win the league, but they’ll be a threat to win every time they take the court.

But if McDermott leaves, the Bluejays could find themselves in a bit of trouble. Not only would they lose arguably the best player in the history of the program, but they’ll also be losing their most indispensable piece in center Gregory Echenique. The former Rutgers star had the size and the physicality to battle with centers at any level of the game. There is no replacement for that.

And there also may not be a piece to plug in for Grant Gibbs if he decides not to use a sixth-season of eligibility. Gibbs’ ability to be a playmaker on the wing and a threat in the pick-and-roll was a major reason Creighton got so many open looks at threes this year.

So is McDermott close to making a decision? Doesn’t seem like it.

“I go back and forth all the time,” McDermott told the Omaha World-Herald. “One day, there’s no way I’m leaving this place. The next day, it changes. I’m a guy that has a tough time making decisions. Right now, I don’t even feel like I’m close to making a decision.”

The good news is that McDermott not only has the support of his parents — his dad doubles as his head coach — but he seems to understand that there is more to the equation that simply earning that first guaranteed contract.

“I’ve reached the point where I’m going to the NBA when I feel I’m ready for the NBA,” he said. “I’m not so concerned about the first round or the second round because the reality is I’m either an NBA player or I’m not. If I feel like it’s my time, I’m going to go. If not, I’ve got a great option of getting ready for another year and getting my body better.”

“I’ve been saying it all along I can’t make a bad decision.”

You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.

SMU won’t appeal tournament ban, Brown suspension

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.

Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.

“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.

“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”

Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.

This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.

Kevin Marfo commits to George Washington

Leave a comment

Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.

“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.

This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.

He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.

The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.  The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.