Kevin Ware has no doubt he’ll play next season

Leave a comment

The most iconic moment from this year’s NCAA tournament, and possibly this entire college basketball season, was the photo of Kevin Ware laying on his back, the training staff working on his broken leg as he held his teammate’s hands and told them to win the game and not worry about him.

At that point, Ware’s lower leg was, essentially, in two pieces, held together by nothing more than muscle and skin while part of his tibia was exposed, sticking through the skin.

The idea that he would play basketball again in 2013 seemed unlikely, and anyone that watched the injury happen at some point thought that might be the end of Ware’s basketball career.

Nope. Turns out that Ware could possibly end up being ready to play by next season.

“None, honestly,” Ware said when asked by WDRB whether there’s any doubt he’ll play in 2013-2014. “Just looking at the scar and how it’s healing, it’s really just going to be about me having the confidence to work hard.”

“I’ve been able to put pressure on it a lot more and in about three months I’ll be doing swimming exercises,” Ware added. “I’ll be good in six months. Doctors keep telling me that I’m young and that’s why it’s healing a lot faster. I’ve always tried to keep myself in good shape, and not put in a lot of outside things that hurt my body, like fast food. I really feel like I’m good.”

Ware may be able to get back on the floor next year, but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be the same Kevin Ware that had played the first couple of rounds of the NCAA tournament. He’ll be coming off of a long stretch where he didn’t touch a basketball. He’s going to be out of shape and he’s not going to have the same kind of strength in his legs. He’s going to have to learn to have the confidence and comfort to do something like run full speed at a shooter on the wing.

That will take time.

But it will be an adjustment that happens while he’s playing.

That’s impressive enough in its own right.

You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.

SMU won’t appeal tournament ban, Brown suspension

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.

Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.

“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.

“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”

Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.

This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.

Kevin Marfo commits to George Washington

Leave a comment

Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.

“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.

This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.

He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.

The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.  The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.