Rutgers University President Robert L. Barchi And Board Of Governors Chair Ralph Izzo Press Conference

Rutgers announces financial settlement with former coach Mike Rice

1 Comment

Two weeks ago, it was believed that Rutgers would owe former head coach Mike Rice nearly $1.1 million as a result of firing him in the aftermath of a player abuse scandal that included profane language and hitting players with basketballs during practices.

However on Thursday afternoon it was reported that Rutgers president Robert L. Barchi planned to fight the terms of the payout, stating at a meeting on higher education funding that he signed no agreement to pay Rice.

“My personal position – I’m not a lawyer – is that the university was damaged by his actions. My personal position is that his conduct was unethical, not acceptable to the university’s standards, and frankly I’ll have that discussion’’ with school lawyers, Barchi said.

Thursday evening it was reported by the Newark Star-Ledger that the school and Rice settled for $475,000, which is less than half of what Rice was owed for being fired “without cause” and ultimately saves the school a little money in what has been a very costly controversy.

Assemblywoman Bonnie Watson Coleman said she was heartened by Barchi’s testimony but added, “I remain very concerned that Rutgers has doled out so much money to ousted top officials. Consider that based on the in-state tuition and fees listed on the Rutgers website, for every $1 million spent on these deals, the university could have provided 76 students with a scholarship covering full tuition and fees for one year. Rutgers needs to do better. We will be looking more into this situation and we expect a plan to ensure this waste of money at our state university stops.”

With settlements for both Rice and former athletic director Tim Pernetti both handled, the next step for the school should be to hire the replacements for both. Current Los Angeles Lakers assistant Eddie Jordan is the coach many expect to be named Rice’s successor, but there has yet to be an announcement from Rutgers that the two parties have agreed to terms.

Eli Carter and Mike Poole are the most recent players to request a release from their scholarship, and it was reported Thursday that guard Myles Mack may also consider transferring. The longer this saga drags on, the tougher the task gets for whoever the school hires at its head coach.

Raphielle also writes for the NBE Basketball Report and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.

Top-100 guard commits to Xavier

Chris Mack has Xavier back in the Sweet 16 (AP Photo)
Leave a comment

Xavier has added a top-100 prospect into its 2017 recruiting class Wednesday.

Elias Harden, a shooting guard from Georgia, pledged to the Musketeers via social media to become the second member of Chris Mack’s next class.

“The recruiting process was not EASY AT ALL,” Harden wrote on Twitter. “I wanna thank all the coaches that took time to recruit me.

“WIth that being said I will continue my academic and athletic career at Xavier University.”

The 6-foot-6 guard is ranked 92nd overall by 247Sports and had offers from Auburn, Maryland, Texas Tech and Ole Miss. He joins Jared Ridder, a Missouri guard, as part of the 2017 Xavier class.

The Musketeers return the bulk of last year’s 28-6 team that narrowly missed out on the Sweet 16.

Clemson recruit to enroll early

Brad Brownell
Leave a comment

Clemson will get a four-star recruit on campus a year earlier than it expected, though his on-court debut for the Tigers will remain on schedule.

A.J. Oliver, a guard from South Carolina, will enroll early at Clemson and redshirt this upcoming season, he announced via social media Wednesday.

“I woke up this morning and realized that the greatest opportunity for me is to enroll early into Clemson,” he wrote on Twitter. “I will redshirt a year & start my college career early.”

Oliver, whose mother is the head women’s basketball coach at Clemson, was a consensus top-100 player in the class of 2017 who committed to the Tigers last December. Texas Tech and the College of Charleston were involved before his commitment.

A three-star shooting guard, Scott Spencer of Virginia, was previously the only member coach Brad Brownell’s 2016 class. While Oliver’s decision to redshirt will keep him off the court for the 2016-17 season, he’ll have spent a full season in the Tiger program before making his debut in 2017

The cupboard isn’t bare in 2017 for the Tigers due to Oliver’s reclassification because Clemson received a commitment from power forward Malik Williams, a consensus top-150 player, earlier Wednesday.

Kentucky used Calipari-Chaney fight in media training

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 12.41.16 PM
Kentucky Sports Radio
Leave a comment

Kentucky held some media training sessions yesterday, and one of the topics that head coach John Calipari used to make a point was … his blow-up with John Chaney. The moment was captured on SnapChat by a trio of Kentucky newcomers.

You remember that incident. Chaney, then the head coach at Temple, and Cal, who was coaching Atlantic 10 rival UMass at the time, nearly came to blows over the way that Cal handled officials during the game. Before the video below picks up, the two shared this exchange:

“Could I say this to you, please?” Chaney said, before the video above picks up. “You’ve got a good ball club. But what you did with the officials out there is wrong, and I don’t want to be a party to that. You understand?”

Cal responded: “You weren’t out there, Coach. You don’t have any idea.”

Chaney fired back: “You got a game given to you by officials right here with G.W. on three bad calls, O.K.? Then you send your kids out there pushing and shoving. You had the best officiating you could ever get here. And for you to ride them, I don’t want to be a party to that.”

And that led to “I’ll kill you”:

(h/t KSR)

VIDEO: Shaq’s son, Shareef O’Neal, with monster dunk in Vegas

Leave a comment

Shareef O’Neal is a top 50 prospect in the Class of 2018. In Vegas this past weekend, he threw down a monster put-back dunk.

South Dakota State gets two commits

South_Dakota_State_Jackrabbits01
1 Comment

Tuesday was a busy and productive one for South Dakota State on the recruiting trail.

The Jackrabbits secured two 2017 commitments from the state of Wisconsin in Ryan Krueger and Alex Arians, a source tells NBCSports.com.

Krueger is a 6-foot-5 wing player from New London, Wisc. while Arians is a 6-foot-4 guard from Madison, Wisc., who also held an offer from Wright State, which is coached by former SDSU coach Scott Nagy. Both players spend their summers playing for the Wisconsin Swing grassroots program.

The pair make it a trio of commits for the Jackrabbits in 2017 with another Wisconsinite, Alou Dillon, pledging to first-year Jackrabbits coach T.J. Otzelberger, himself a Wisconsin native, earlier this summer.

South Dakota State went 26-8 last year and the bulk of the team that made the NCAA tournament last year, including sophomore Mike Daum, who led the team in scoring and rebounding as a freshman.