James Madison v Indiana

Is Remy Abell reconsidering transferring out of Indiana? (UPDATED)


(Update 3:05 p.m.: He’s gone.)

Last Friday, Remy Abell announced his intention to transfer out of the Indiana program.

The school even sent out a release, in which Abell was quoted as saying, “I am going to miss everyone. But I just feel at this time a fresh start and new opportunities are what is best in following God’s plan for me.”

The goal, apparently, was to land somewhere where he would be able to get more playing time. Abell averaged 3.5 points in 10.7 minutes off the bench last season. But that line of thinking was a bit questionable, especially considering that Abell looked to be in line for a big bump in minutes this season. With Victor Oladipo and Jordy Hulls gone, Abell would have had a shot at starting at the off-guard spot. Indiana’s going to have a very deep front court next season, but their Yogi Ferrell is the only point guard on their roster, and the only other natural off-guard on the roster is Austin Etherington, who is coming off of a serious knee injury.

Would he have to compete with Will Sheehey and freshman Stanford Robinson for minutes? Probably, but Sheehey’s more of a small forward and there’s no guarantee that Robinson will be ready to compete in the Big Ten immediately.

Apparently, some of this may have gotten back to Abell, as there may be some second thoughts about transferring. From the Indy Star:

Remy Abell’s mother met with Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean about her son returning to the Hoosiers after the school announced last week he would transfer, Abell’s high school coach said.

“I do know that Remy’s mother has met with coach Crean personally,” said Jason Couch, now head coach at Shelby County High School in Kentucky. “His support system wants him to stay at IU.”

Crean texted IndyStar.com this statement:

“Right now, there is no change in his status. We continue to support Remy with ongoing dialogue, assistance and he has full access to our facilities to work out. My main concern is for his academic well being.”

Abell’s support system, according to Couch, wants him to remain at Indiana. The Indy Star report also says that Abell may simply be reacting poorly to Cody Zeller’s decision to enter the draft. Those two are apparently quite close.

You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.

Syracuse receives mixed news on sanctions appeals

Jim Boeheim
Associated Press
Leave a comment

Wednesday the NCAA made its ruling on two appeals of sanctions made by Syracuse University, with the news being mixed for the men’s basketball program.

On the positive side the NCAA ruled that Syracuse will be docked two scholarships per season for the next four years, as opposed to the original ruling of three. As a result Jim Boeheim’s program only has to account for the loss of eight total scholarships, meaning that they’ll have 11 to fill in each of the next four seasons as opposed to ten.

One scholarship may not seem like a big deal, but in a sport where you only get 13 (when not dealing with sanctions) getting that grant-in-aid back really helps from a recruiting standpoint.

As for the negatives, they both concern Boeheim. Not only has there yet to be a ruling on Boeheim’s appeal of his nine-game suspension that goes into effect when ACC play begins in January (that appeal is being heard separately), but the appeal to reinstate the wins that were vacated as part of the sanctions was denied. As a result Boeheim officially has 868 wins instead of 969 (not counting today’s game against Charlotte).

And with Mike Hopkins set to take over as head coach in 2018, the denial means that college basketball will have to wait quite some time before anyone threatens to join Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski in the 1,000 wins club.

While not having the wins officially reinstated does hurt, getting a scholarship back for each of the next four seasons is a bigger deal when it comes to the long-term health of the Syracuse program. Also of great importance will be the ruling regarding Boeheim’s suspension, as a suspended coach is not allowed to have any contact with his players or coaching staff while serving the penalty.

And with the original ruling due to take up half of Syracuse’s league slate, not having Boeheim (or the chance to speak with him) is a big deal when it comes to this current team.

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe cleared by NCAA

Chris Mullin
AP Photo/Rick Bowmer
Leave a comment

St. John’s forward Kassoum Yakwe has been cleared by the NCAA to play this season and will be eligible immediately, the school announced on Wednesday.

Yakwe is a 6-foot-8 forward that reclassified and enrolled at St. John’s this fall. He attended the same high school as Kansas forward Cheick Diallo, who was also cleared by the NCAA to play today.

St. John’s played in the Maui Invitational this week, and Yakwe did not take part. His first game with the Johnnies will be on Dec. 2nd against Fordham if the program plans to play his this season.

The question that must be asked, however, is whether or not he will suit up or simply redshirt. The Johnnies are in the midst of a serious rebuild and will be without their other elite recruit this season, Marcus Lovett. Lovett was ruled a partial qualifier. Would it make sense to burn a year of eligibility on what make amount to a wasted season, or will head coach Chris Mullin opt to save that year for down the road?