USC has announced the suspensions of Dewayne Dedmon and James Blasczyk from all team activities for a violation of team rules.
“Separately, we are aware of the Spokane investigation into an alleged incident with those player and we are cooperating with the authorities to determine the facts. Until we learn all the facts, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” USC interim head coach Bob Cantu said in a release.
Dedmon is averaging 6.7 points and seven rebounds this season and Blasczyk is at 1.5 points and 1.2 rebounds on the year.
Judging by the tone of the statement, it’s safe to assume that the two players are suspended for their alleged role in an altercation in downtown Spokane earlier this week, following USC’s 76-51 loss at Washington State.
While no players were named in the report following the incident, one person describes someone involved in the brawl as “7-foot, 260 pounds and the center for USC.” That’s a description that could describe both Dedmon and Blasczyk. Dedmon is listed as 7-foot, 255 pounds and Blasczyk is listed at 7-1, 260 pounds.
This is a tough break for the Trojans, especially this close to the Pac-12 Conference tournament. Dedmon is a consistent contributor and Blasczyk provided the post depth that USC sorely needs. With other serious cases of brawls involving college basketball players popping up this season — most notably involving Wyoming’s Luke Martinez — it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen to these two. The investigation will determine that and I think it’s fair to wait and let all the facts come out before passing judgment.
But from an on-court perspective, this is a huge hit to the post depth of the Trojans, who now have to rely on 7-2 Omar Oraby even more. The Trojans were lucky to have three seven-footers on their roster. Now they’ll be lucky to get one of the two back for the Pac-12 Tournament.
USC opens the tournament on Wednesday against Utah.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Throughout Tom Izzo’s tenure at Michigan State the team’s half-court man-to-man defense has been a staple, and the Spartans have generally proven difficult to have a high rate of offensive success against. The reliance on that defense is why Izzo’s conversations earlier this summer about using some token full-court pressure due to the shortening of the shot clock caught some people off-guard.
According to the Detroit Free Press there’s another wrinkle the Spartans may use, and it’s likely that this wrinkle will show up more often than the full-court press. During Friday’s opening practice the Spartans worked on a 2-3 zone, and Izzo wants his assistants to make sure the team works on the defense consistently throughout the season.
That’s also why zone in general isn’t going to get heavy play at MSU, but having it as a tool could be beneficial — especially in games with touch fouls on the perimeter called in droves.
“I told (my assistant coaches): ‘You hold me accountable to working on it every day some’ … I have a tendency to drift off on that, and I don’t want to drift off on it,” Izzo said of the 2-3 zone. “But we will be, rest assured, a 90-some percent man-to-man team still and hopefully take some of those principles to zone.”
As noted in the story one of the risks in using pressure is allowing quality shots, which is why it’s unlikely that Michigan State will go to it. But even with Izzo vowing that his team will work on the zone, that doesn’t mean they’ll be playing it as often as Syracuse does.
Man-to-man has been Michigan State’s staple and it will continue to be. But it doesn’t hurt to look for other ways to keep opponents from getting the looks they want, especially if teams have five fewer seconds to find those shots.
When the college basketball rules committee made the decision to trim the shot clock down to 30 second from 35, one reason for the switch was the desire to improve offensive production. With offensive numbers at their lowest point in years, proponents of the move see the shot clock change as a necessary move if scoring is to improve.
Whether or not that winds up being the case will be seen throughout the upcoming season, but teams are still having to make adjustments during the preseason.
Virginia, which has played at a snail’s pace (and with great success, mind you) in recent years, made some adjustments to their summer work in anticipation of playing with a 30-second shot clock. One adjustment was more games of 3-on-3 with a 15-second shot clock, which forced all involved to be more decisive in their offensive decision-making.
While the pack-line defense will always be a staple of Tony Bennett’s teams, the feeling in Charlottesville is that they’ve got the offensive firepower needed to both play faster and be more efficient offensively than they were in 2014-15 (29th nationally in adjusted offensive efficiency per Ken Pomeroy). One of the players who will lead the way is senior guard Malcolm Brogdon, who led the team in scoring and was a first team All-ACC selection, and he discussed the team’s outlook with Mike Barber of the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
And even though Anderson’s highlight-reel shot blocking was the thing that frequently fueled fast-breaks for U.Va. last season, Brogdon and [Anthony] Gill said they expect this year’s team to actually push the tempo even more.
“I think we’re going to be a team that gets out and runs more,” Brogdon said. “I think we’ll have three guards on the floor, most of the time, will be able to handle the ball as a point guard and get out in transition. I think we’ll play a lot faster.”
Brogdon and Gill are two of the team’s three returning starters with point guard London Perrantes being the other, and the Cavaliers also return most of their reserves from last year’s rotation. That experience will help them on both ends of the floor as they prepare for a run at a third straight ACC regular season title. And in theory it also allows them to extend themselves a bit more offensively than they did a season ago.