USC has announced the suspensions of Dewayne Dedmon and James Blasczyk from all team activities for a violation of team rules.
“Separately, we are aware of the Spokane investigation into an alleged incident with those player and we are cooperating with the authorities to determine the facts. Until we learn all the facts, it would be inappropriate to comment further,” USC interim head coach Bob Cantu said in a release.
Dedmon is averaging 6.7 points and seven rebounds this season and Blasczyk is at 1.5 points and 1.2 rebounds on the year.
Judging by the tone of the statement, it’s safe to assume that the two players are suspended for their alleged role in an altercation in downtown Spokane earlier this week, following USC’s 76-51 loss at Washington State.
While no players were named in the report following the incident, one person describes someone involved in the brawl as “7-foot, 260 pounds and the center for USC.” That’s a description that could describe both Dedmon and Blasczyk. Dedmon is listed as 7-foot, 255 pounds and Blasczyk is listed at 7-1, 260 pounds.
This is a tough break for the Trojans, especially this close to the Pac-12 Conference tournament. Dedmon is a consistent contributor and Blasczyk provided the post depth that USC sorely needs. With other serious cases of brawls involving college basketball players popping up this season — most notably involving Wyoming’s Luke Martinez — it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen to these two. The investigation will determine that and I think it’s fair to wait and let all the facts come out before passing judgment.
But from an on-court perspective, this is a huge hit to the post depth of the Trojans, who now have to rely on 7-2 Omar Oraby even more. The Trojans were lucky to have three seven-footers on their roster. Now they’ll be lucky to get one of the two back for the Pac-12 Tournament.
USC opens the tournament on Wednesday against Utah.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Prior to a one-year stint as the head coach coach at Bowling Green that came to an end in early April as a result of an incident at a Bowling Green restaurant, Chris Jans was a member of Gregg Marshall’s coaching staff at Wichita State from 2007-14. During those seven seasons Jans was a key figure as the Shockers made the progression to a respected national power.
Jans is back in Wichita, with Paul Suellentrop of the Wichita Eagle reporting Thursday that he’s serving as a consultant to the program. Jans’ consulting agreement runs for 45 days, which the school can renew, and he’ll be paid $10,000 for the work. While Jans isn’t allowed to do any coaching, he can watch practices and provide Marshall and the coaching staff with his observations.
“He will be able to consult with the coaching staff, only on what he observes in practice,” said Darron Boatright, WSU deputy athletics director. “By NCAA rule, a consultant is not allowed to have communication with student-athletes … not about basketball-related activities or performance.”
While Jans (who according to the story has served in a similar role for another school) can’t do any coaching in this role, his return does give Marshall another trusted voice to call upon when needed. Wichita State bid farewell to an assistant coach this spring with Steve Forbes being hired as the head coach at East Tennessee State, with his position being filled by former Sunrise Christian Academy coach Kyle Lindsted.
Thursday afternoon marked the first time since Friday that Louisville head coach Rick Pitino commented on the controversy that has taken his program by storm. Speaking with Terry Meiners of 840 WHAS in Louisville, Pitino discussed the escort scandal, what could have possibly led former staffer Andre McGee down the path he’s alleged to have taken in Katina Powell’s book and his future at Louisville.
The interview began with Meiners asking Pitino if it changed his thinking as to whether or not he needed to resign, which (as one would expect) Pitino shot down. Also discussed was the statement released by school president Dr. James Ramsey, which expressed support for athletic director Tom Jurich but did not mention Pitino at all.
“Well I can’t answer that, Terry,” Pitino said when asked why he wasn’t mentioned in the statement. “Twenty-six years ago Kentucky brought me in to make the program compliant to NCAA rules. (Then-Kentucky president) Dr. (David) Roselle and (then Kentucky athletic director) C.M. Newton thought I was the guy to come in and change around the images, change around the culture and add a lot of discipline to the program. And I did that.
“And then I came here to the University of Louisville, and if someone was five seconds late or not early consequences would be paid from a disciplinary standpoint,” Pitino continued. “This is obviously not a person being late, this is not about a person (not) working hard. This is about things that are very disgusting, things that turn my stomach, things that keep me up without sleeping.
“But unfortunately, I had no knowledge of any of this and don’t believe in it. It’s sickening to me, the whole thing. But I’m thinking of my 13 players, I’m thinking of our program, and I’m sorry that Dr. Ramsey did not think enough to mention me but that’s something I cannot control.”
Below is audio of the full interview, which ran just over 17 minutes in length.