St. John’s forward Orlando Sanchez played a total of three minutes and thirty-eight seconds with the Dominican National Team in 2010 and, as the NCAA ruled in January, that is apparently enough to cost him his final year of college eligibility.
Sanchez, 24, was a highly touted and versatile forward prospect when he signed with St. John’s in April 2012, part of another strong recruiting class for coach Steve Lavin in Queens. He has since been forced to sit as his Red Storm teammates push for an NCAA tournament berth.
According to NCAA rules, a year of organized competition after the age of 21 counts as a year of eligibility. Thus, he had previously played two years at Monroe College and eight games with a Dominican amateur club team in 2009. That together makes three, plus the NCAA’s assertion that his time with the Dominican team would have used up his available eligibility.
From the New York Times:
If the rules are applied without flexibility, the ramifications can be harsh, said Jason Lanter, an assistant professor of psychology at Kutztown University and a former president of the Drake Group, an N.C.A.A. watchdog. “You are at the whims of the N.C.A.A.,” he said. “They are the judge, jury and executioner.”
St. John’s and Sanchez have now retained the legal counsel of Robert Orr, who was hired by UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad when he was accused by the NCAA of taking impermissible benefits and held out of competition earlier this season.
“Orlando is a thoughtful, humble and focused young man, who has worked diligently toward his goals,” Lavin said in a statement. “He has been successful as a student with a 3.48 GPA during his time at St. John’s, and has shown both promise and progress practicing as a member of our team throughout the year. Our University continues to work in concert with the NCAA as we have throughout the waiver and appeals process.”
If Sanchez’s case is reopened and he wins the appeal, the Red Storm have one open scholarship remaining. They are actively recruiting Philadelphia point guard Rysheed Jordan and senior forward God’sgift Achiuwa is redshirting this season.
Daniel Martin is a writer and editor at JohnnyJungle.com, covering St. John’s. You can find him on Twitter:@DanielJMartin_
Virginia announced the departure of two players Wednesday.
Marial Shayok and Jerred Shayok will both transfer out of the program, the school said.
“Marial and Jarred informed me today that they are leaving the Virginia basketball program and are looking to transfer to other schools,” Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett said in a statement released by the school. “I thank Marial and Jarred for their hard work and contributions to our program, and wish them success in the future.”
Shayok, a a 6-foot-5 junior, played 20.9 minutes per game last season for the Cavaliers, averaging 8.9 points and 2.4 rebounds per game while shooting 44.5 percent from the floor. The Ottawa native started 23 games in three seasons with Virginia.
Reuter played a minimal role for the Cavaliers, averaging just 10.8 minutes and 3.8 rebounds per game.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) Wake Forest’s John Collins is entering the NBA draft but will not hire an agent and is keeping open the option of returning to school for his junior season.
In a statement Wednesday announcing the decision, Collins said he wants “to make an informed decision about what is best for my future.”
Collins is a 6-foot-10 forward who as a sophomore blossomed into one of the best big men in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was voted to the Associated Press all-ACC team.
He averaged 19.2 points and 9.8 rebounds, putting together a string of 12 consecutive 20-point games late in the season.
His progression was a big reason why the Demon Deacons earned their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2010. Kansas State beat Wake Forest in the First Four.
More AP college basketball: http://www.collegebasketball.ap.org
There may be an overwhelming assumption on where Michael Porter, Jr. – and his father – will ultimately end up, but the five-star recruit is said publicly that he see his re-recruitment process through.
Porter, Jr. said in a teleconference Wednesday that he will ask for his release from Washington, and his father, a former Huskies assistant, has been offered a job at Missouri by new Tigers coach Cuonzo Martin.
“Right now I’m just trying to take it slow with my family and weigh my options,” Porter Jr. said, according to the Kansas City Star. “I plan to get my (national letter of intent) from Washington back and just go from there, not saying that I’m not going to Washington anymore, but I just want to get it back and weigh my options.”
The prevailing thought has been that the Porters will ultimately land in Columbia, where they have significant history.
Still, it would appear at least publicly that Porter, Jr., a potential No. 1 pick in the 2018 NBA draft, will weigh his options in at least the short-term.
Kentucky continues to take care of John Calipari.
The Wildcats coach has received a two-year extension, keeping him under contract in Lexington through the 2024 season, the school announced Wednesday.
The contract will pay Calipari $7.75 million next season and increase to $8 million per season thereafter.
“John has achieved consistent championship-level performance at Kentucky,” Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart said in a statement. “No one in America is better suited for everything that comes with being the coach here. Not only has he attained incredible success on the court, he is also a leader in our community and in college basketball.
“We have been blessed to have him and Ellen here for the last eight years and we are blessed they will continue to call Kentucky home.”
Not only does the deal extend Calipari, but it continues to keep Kentucky competitive with the NBA, which would seem to be the only outlet that would even potentially tempt Calipari away from Kentucky. An NBA franchise would have to make him among the highest-paid coaches in the league to even match Kentucky financially.
Of course, given that Calipari has spurned interest from the league since returning to college in 2000, it seems unlikely that financial considerations would be the lone or heaviest variable in making a decision to move on.
Certainly, Calipari has an excellent thing going at Kentucky as the premier recruiting program in the country that has enjoyed serious success on the court, culminating in a 2012 national title and a 38-0 start to the 2015 season before a loss in the Final Four.
“The last eight years at the University of Kentucky have been a terrific ride,” Calipari said in a statement. “This extension shows our full commitment to each other. I believe this school is the gold standard and I’m so thankful and blessed that this university has given me this opportunity at this point in my career.”
The Wildcats face UCLA in the Sweet 16 on Friday.
Louisville’s Donovan Mitchell is the latest to decide to see what the NBA might offer.
“I have decided to test the waters and not hire an agent!” Mitchell wrote in an Instagram post Wednesday. “I am excited to work out this summer for teams and hopefully participate in the NBA combine! I want it to be clear I have not decided to leave Louisville!”
Mitchell, who is expected to be joined by dozens of players, is taking advantage of new NCAA rules that allow him to work out for teams and attend the NBA draft combine before making a decision on whether to remain in the draft and return to school.
Players have until May 24 to withdraw from the draft and return to school.
Mitchell averaged 15.6 points, 4.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists as a sophomore, shooting 40.8 percent overall and 35.4 percent on 3-point attempts.
The 6-foot-3 guard is projected as a potential first-round pick, but should he return, the Cardinals would project as one of the top teams in the country with nearly the entire core returning from this year’s 25-9 squad.