Could the NCAA’s latest gaffe create a change to enforcement practices?

5 Comments

The NCAA suffered yet another embarrassing blow on Wednesday as it was revealed that they may have botched the seemingly-ironclad case that Charles Robinson and Yahoo! handed them involving Miami booster Nevin Shapiro.

You can find more details about the NCAA investigation into violations that occurred during an NCAA investigation of possible NCAA violations — That sentence just about sums it up, dontcha think? — and how it could affect current Missouri and former Miami coach Frank Haith here, but in short: the NCAA got access to bankruptcy proceeding they weren’t supposed to get access to, and they did so while Shapiro’s attorney was billing them for work he did.

This is yet another embarrassment for the NCAA’s enforcement staff. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say that one of the main reasons Shabazz Muhammad was only forced to sit out threes games this season was because of a conversation that was overheard on a plane where the boyfriend on an investigator was bragging about how Shabazz would never be allowed to play. That occurred just days before a judge ruled that the investigation into for USC football coach Todd McNair was “malicious” and “over the top”.

And based on what NCAA president Mark Emmert said on a teleconference on Wednesday afternoon, it may be the last time we see an investigation go this way.

“I’m very concerned about it,” Emmert said of the recent problems involving the NCAA’s investigative arm. “The reality is there is alwasys going to be criticisms of an enforcement process. When it comes to credibility and integrity, we have to make sure that it absolutely is at the forefront of mind in all of these activities. When you have several issues that call that into question, you have to pause and make sure you have those things right.”

Emmert has called in an outside law firm to review the NCAA’s investigation. He’ll also be asking that law firm to review the NCAA’s enforcement processes as a whole.

“I’ll ask this firm also to continue their work to look into whether or not we have similar problem of any kind in the enforcement operation and the broader regulatory role,” he said. “It’s the whole regulatory envirooment that needs to operate in a way that gives us great confidence, and right now that isn’t the case.”

He’s saying the right things.

The NCAA has a major PR problem if their investigations into improper conduct involve their own improper conduct. How can anyone trust that anything the NCAA does is above board after watching them repeatedly backtrack over recent months? The majority of the people that are paying attention believe that the NCAA’s current structure is a joke, and they aren’t helping themselves at all with black eyes like this continually popping up.

You have to think that something is going to change as a result of this news.

But we’ve thought that the NCAA has to change the way they handle rules violations for a long time. Why would things be any different now?

Perhaps the best question to ask is this: Why now? From CBSSports.com’s Bruce Feldman:

As CBSSports.com reported in September, the NCAA came to South Florida on Dec. 19, 2011 — the day that former Miami assistant equipment man Sean Allen testified after having been subpoenaed in Shapiro’s federal bankruptcy case. Allen told CBS that he spotted NCAA investigator Ameen Najjar in the room. Allen requested that Najjar be removed from the room. The NCAA investigator was told to leave, but clearly Najjar and the NCAA had been working with Shapiro’s attorney.

So the NCAA was tagging along with Shapiro’s attorney back in Dec. of 2011, but it took until the week that the Notice of Allegations were supposed to be released for the NCAA to realize they did something wrong? Who found out about the fact that the NCAA paid Shapiro’s attorney? Did someone get into the NCAA’s ear? Were lawsuits threatened?

Will that be enough to get the NCAA to make changes?

Because I can’t imagine how much longer the schools are going to be willing to put up with this kind of thing for much longer.

You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.

 

Preaching patience, new Pitt AD says hoops program “a complete rebuild”

AP Photo/Athens Banner-Herald, AJ Reynolds
Leave a comment

Things did not go particularly well for Kevin Stallings in his first year at Pitt. The program, which essentially pushed Jamie Dixon out the door for being consistently good but not often enough great, struggled, going 16-17 overall and 4-14 in the ACC, just two games out of the cellar.

On top of that, six players prematurely left the program this spring.

Not great, especially when you’ve got a new boss that didn’t hire you, as is the case for Stallings with new Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke, who came aboard in March. In her first meeting with Stallings, Lyke asked a rather blunt question.

“Do you want to be here?” according to the Beaver County Times.

Stallings answered that he did, and his new athletic director would appear to be willing to give her predecessor’s hire time to reclaim and rebuild the program.

“It’s a steep climb, if you will,” Lyke said. “It’s not something that’s going to come easy and it takes an incredible amount of work.”

Stallings’ personal reputation took a significant amount of damage this spring when he attempted to block Cameron Johnson from an intra-ACC transfer to North Carolina. NBC Sports’ Scott Phillips called him a “town-deaf clown” in his attempt to keep Johnson from being a Tar Heel, a position he later relinquished, allowing Johnson to head to Chapel Hill.

Losing Johnson certainly won’t help Stallings and the Panthers recover from the difficult first season. Pitt didn’t hit any grand-slams in recruiting but is adding four-star guard Marcus Carr in its 2017 class.

The immediate outlook doesn’t look particularly bright, but Pitt appears to be positioning itself to exhibit some patience.

“If you look at the team, it is a complete rebuild,” Lyke said. “So I do think that (Stallings) is going to need a little time to develop it.

“But, we’ve got to be headed in the right direction. There’s some things that have got to get better and noticeable improvements. I’ve already seen those things start to happen.”

 

Miller Time: Indiana coach cashes in with $24 million deal

Frederick Breedon/Getty Images
1 Comment

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — New Indiana coach Archie Miller will make $24 million under his seven-year deal — and potentially even more in bonuses.

Miller accepted the job in March, but the athletic department didn’t announce details of the contract until Tuesday.

He will receive a base salary of $550,000 per year and $1 million in deferred income each season. Miller also will receive an additional $1.85 million in outside marketing and promotional income — and will get a $50,000 per year raise each year through March 2024.

Miller can earn a $250,000 bonus for winning a national championship. He can earn an additional $125,000 for a Big Ten regular-season title, reaching the Final Four and producing multiyear Academic Progress Rate scores over 950.

Utah, BYU rivalry back on after one-year hiatus

AP Photo/Brennan Linsley
1 Comment

The BYU-Utah annual rivalry series will be back on this season after taking a one-year hiatus last year.

For just the second time since 1909, the Utes and the Cougars did not play in 2016-17 after Utah head coach Larry Kyrstkowiak asked for a one-year cooling off period stemming from an intense and emotional game against BYU in 2015-16. In that game, then-freshman Nick Emery was ejected as a result of this punch that he threw:

The last time those two teams did not play was due to World War II.

The game will be played at BYU on Dec. 16th.

Utah will also play Utah State this season, the first time that they have played the Aggies since 2011.

 

California bans state-funded travel to eight states; does it affect college hoops?

Alex Wong/Getty Images
4 Comments

A new California law could end up causing a headache for the sports teams for public universities in the state.

Because of recently-added laws that are perceived as discriminatory against the LGBT community, California has now banned travel to eight states: Texas, Alabama, Kentucky and South Dakota join a list that already includes Kansas, Mississippi, North Carolina and Tennessee.

The law states that contracts that were signed before Jan. 1st, 2017, are exempted and can be fulfilled, but there’s not guarantee that will be the case in the future.

“Moving forward, the athletic department will not schedule future games in states that fail to meet the standards established by the new law,” a UCLA spokesman told the Sacramento Bee. That said, the university does not use state funding for travel sports teams as it currently stands, and the goal of the law to avoid “spending taxpayer dollars in states that discriminate,” according to California’s Attorney General.

On the college basketball side of things, the biggest question mark here is whether or not this law will prevent teams from playing in the NCAA tournament if they are sent to a site in one of those eight states. Next season alone, there are first weekend sites in Kansas, Texas, North Carolina and Tennessee, not to mention the Final Four taking place in San Antonio. The location for many of those events were determined prior to January 1st.

“We are generally not going to deny student-athletes the opportunity to compete in the postseason,” a UCLA spokesman told NBC Sports.

The next question then becomes whether or not regular season travel will be allowed. Earlier this year, Cal dropped out of talks with Kansas about a potential home-and-home series due to this law, and if regular season travel is not allowed, it would mean that Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Louisville and Wichita State, along with Kansas, are not allowed to be visited by California public schools that need state funding to travel. A request for a clarification on the legality of college sports teams traveling to those states has been filed with the Attorney General by Fresno State, whose football team is headed to Alabama for a game this year.

Travel for recruiting is also a question that needs to be answered, but at the highest level of the sport, that is typically funded by boosters.

N.C. State adds grad transfer Sam Hunt

Leave a comment

N.C. State added its fourth transfer this offseason. Like ex-Baylor guard Al Freeman, the latest one is eligible to play next season.

Sam Hunt, a double-digit scorer the past two seasons at North Carolina A&T, officially enrolled at North Carolina State on Monday morning.

“Sam is a great young man and will bring much needed depth to our backcourt,” N.C. State head coach Kevin Keatts said in a statement. “I want guys who are excited about being a part of our program and Sam really wants to be here.

“Sam is a combo guard that can space the floor with his ability to shoot the basketball. He is a good fit for the system and will bring a wealth of experience to our roster.”

Hunt, the 6-foot-2 guard, averaged 12.7 points per game last season, a dip from the 15.4 points per game he posted for the Aggies as a redshirt sophomore.

Hunt joins a roster that lost its three leading scorers from a season ago, one that ended 15-17 (4-14 ACC). Dennis Smith Jr. is a member of the Dallas Mavericks. Maverick Rowan also pursued a professional career and Terry Henderson was denied an additional year from the NCAA.

The Wolf Pack bring back forwards Abdul-Malik Abu and Omer Yurtseven as well as Torin Dorn.

Keatts, who took over the program after leading UNC Wilmington to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments, has already built for the future. UNC Wilmington transfer C.J. Bryce, 17.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game for the Seahawks, has followed him to Raleigh. Utah transfer Devon Daniels committed to the Wolf Pack the same day as Bryce. Both will have to sit out next season due to NCAA transfer rules. Bryce will have two years of eligibility while Daniels will have three.