Struggles on both ends doom Washington in home loss to Utah

Leave a comment

In opening Pac-12 play 4-0 the Washington Huskies defended far better than they did during the non-conference portion of their schedule. In conference games entering their home tilt against Utah the Huskies ranked second in the conference in field goal percentage defense, limiting teams to 37.4% shooting from the field.

For a program that’s had some great scorers over the years, it’s expected that the Huskies uphold their end of the bargain on the defensive end as well.

“I think there’s some pride here. I think the culture here, the way we go about things, eventually someone wants to be one of those guys that they want to defend,” head coach Lorenzo Romar said on Friday.

Unfortunately for the Huskies (12-6, 4-1) they got away from defending at the level established in their first four games on Saturday night, and the end result was a 74-65 loss to Utah. Brandon Taylor provided a spark off the bench for the Utes with 19 points and six assists, and as a team the Utes shot 60.4% from the field.

Before Saturday’s defeat Washington hadn’t allowed a single team to shoot better than 50% from the field, but Utah’s patience proved to be too much to overcome with leading scorer C.J. Wilcox going scoreless in the first half.

“We just weren’t determined enough early. Throughout parts of the game, we just weren’t determined enough,” said Romar following the defeat. “We’ll go back and look at the film. We’ll be embarrassed at times about our lack of coverage.”

Utah (9-9, 1-5), who picked up their first conference road victory since joining the Pac-12, was able to consistently find quality looks either for Taylor at the end of the shot clock or for forwards Jason Washburn (18 points, seven rebounds) and Jordan Loveridge (17 points, five rebounds and four assists).

Given how well Washington defended leading up to last night’s loss, the more important aspect of the outcome is their perimeter scoring. Averaging 19.1 points per game, Wilcox is one of the Pac-12’s best scorers and still managed to finish with 14 points after going scoreless in the first half.

Utah essentially face-guarded him and forced Abdul Gaddy (2-of-9 FG, five points) and Scott Suggs (4-of-16, 12 points) beat them, and those two were unable to do so despite getting 17 off the bench from Andrew Andrews. As the conference season wears on Washington should expect similar defensive strategies.

“They did a nice job on C.J. I would have to say it’s pretty close to [how they guarded] Brock Motum,” said Romar. “They just kind of face guard and try to take the guy. They seemed to make a decision as to who they’re going to allow to shoot the ball and who they’re not.”

Washington will bounce back defensively. But if they’re to be a contender for the Pac-12 title they’ll need better offensive performances from Gaddy and Suggs to go along with the dependable Wilcox.

Quotes courtesy of University of Washington Athletics

Raphielle also writes for the NBE Basketball Report and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.

Sex assault count dropped against ex-Creighton player Watson

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Prosecutors have dropped a first-degree sexual assault charge against former Creighton point guard Maurice Watson after questions arose about the accuser’s story.

Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine announced Friday that his office had dropped the felony charge, filed earlier this year when a 19-year-old woman accused Watson of assaulting her early Feb. 4 at a party in an Omaha home. Watson has denied that allegation.

The 24-year-old Watson pleaded no contest Friday to misdemeanor assault for an encounter the same night with a different Creighton student, who said Watson touched her thigh and tried to make her touch his genitals. Watson was sentenced to the five days he’d already served in jail.

Watson was a senior when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in January, just days before the party.

Storm damage forces Paradise Jam out of Virgin Islands

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
Leave a comment

MIAMI (AP) — The Paradise Jam basketball tournament will not be played in the U.S. Virgin Islands this year because of damage caused by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria.

The tournament will be played in the U.S., with a new site expected to be announced by Sept. 29.

The Paradise Jam field this year includes Wake Forest, Colorado, Drake, Drexel, Houston, Liberty, Mercer and Quinnipiac, and each of those schools was given the chance to bid for the right to host the tournament.

Tournament officials say they looked at multiple other options, such as moving to another island and using a cruise ship for accommodations, before deciding to move the event to the U.S.

For now, the tournament is scheduled to be played from Nov. 17-20.

Kentucky lands commitment from five-star point guard

Immanuel Quickley (USA Basketball)
1 Comment

Kentucky landed a commitment from Immanuel Quickley on Friday night, a top ten prospect and arguably the best point guard in the Class of 2018.

Quickley picked the Wildcats over Kansas, who he visited earlier this month, and Miami, who he was scheduled to visit before Hurricane Irma struck south Florida.

The 6-foot-3 point guard is the first commitment in the class of head coach John Calipari, and it really comes as no surprise. He’s been considered a Kentucky lean for months, and Quickley played for Calipari on the USA U19 team during the 2017 FIBA World Cup.

While Quickley has the size and the build – he’s 180 pounds with broad shoulders and long arms – of some of Kentucky’s former elite point guards, he’s not the same kind of point guard as, say, De’Aaron Fox or John Wall. He’s more of a smooth athlete than an explosive one, and while his long strides allow him to get out into transition, he’s not the finisher at the rim that those two were. What he is, however, is an intelligent player. He’s good in ball-screens, he’s an excellent passer and facilitator and he is a good enough shooter that he forces defenses to stay honest. He also has the potential to be a plus defender given his physical tools and the fact that he’ll try on that end of the floor.

Where this commitment gets interesting is the current point guard in Kentucky’s back court, Quade Green. Green was a five-star recruit in his own right, but he’s not quite built as a potential one-and-done prospect. Calipari has maneuvered through two point guards in the past, and each of the last five national champions have played major minutes with two point guards on the floor at the same time, but if Green is back next season that will be something to monitor.

That, however, is a long ways away.

What matters now is that Kentucky has gotten this commitment out of the way, and it paves the way for them to also receive a commitment from Zion Williamson. There has long been talk of those two attending college together, and with Quickley on the board, that likely keeps Kentucky in the driver’s seat as they pursue the South Carolina native.

If Kentucky can also wrangle a commitment out of R.J. Barrett, the No. 1 player in the 2018 recruiting class, that would likely be the end of the discussion of whether or not Duke has surpassed the Wildcats on the recruiting trail.

Five-star forward King picks Oregon

Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Oregon has nabbed one of the top players in the 2018 class.

Louis King, a top-20 forward, committed to Dana Altman and the Ducks on Thursday via a video on social media.

“It’s been a tough, strenuous process,” King said, “but today makes all of that worth it. I’ve been blessed with great opportunities.”

The 6-foot-8 New Jersey native selected Oregon over other finalists Seton Hall, NC State, Purdue and Kansas.

“I would like to thank each of them for all the time and effort they put into my recruitment,” King said. “I would like to thank my coaches and my teammates that have pushed me and helped get me to this point in my career. My friends for all their love and support, but most of all I would like to thank my family, who has been by my side through it all.”

King is Altman’s second commit in 2018, joining four-star big man Miles Norris, a top-75 recruit in the class. It’s the beginning of what could be an absolutely dynamic class for Oregon, which still has two scholarships remaining.

“Out of all of my schools I felt like it was best for me and my family,” King said to MADE Hoops. “Coach Altman said that I would have the ball in my hands throughout the season. When I get there, it will be an easy adjustment for me with how I handle rock and get my teammates open. Our goal is to win a national championship next year.”

 

Four-star forward Miller Kopp commits to Northwestern

Photo by Gene Sweeney Jr./Getty Images
Leave a comment

Northwestern has a second four-star recruit in its 2018 class.

The Wildcats received a commitment from Miller Kopp, a 6-foot-6 forward, on Thursday, he announced via social media.

“I built a really strong relationship with (coach) Chris Collins and I fell in love with the campus,” Kopp told Scout. “I knew it would be a nice campus and have that stuff, but I think me and him are wired the same way. II think that his personality fits mine and I think we complement each other. I’m definitely excited to be able to go to a program on the rise and be able to make some history.”

Kopp picked the Wildcats over offers from Georgetown, Butler, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt. The Houston native is ranked in the top-100 of his class by most recruiting services.

He gives Collins and the Wildcats an exceedingly strong 2018 class, which already featured four-star guard Pete Nance of Ohio along with three-star recruits Jordan Lathon and Ryan Young. It represents a major leap forward for Northwestern. It would appear that the program’s first-ever NCAA tournament appearance last March has brought momentum to the recruiting trail.