According to Gabe DeArmond of PowerMizzou.com, suspended guard Michael Dixon’s career as a Tiger is over. NBCSports.com was able to confirm DeArmond’s report.
Dixon was suspended back in October, but it wasn’t until this week that the cause of the suspension started to leak out. In August, a woman accused Dixon of forcible rape, and while Dixon was never charged by police — there wasn’t enough evidence to press charges — he did have to face punishment from the university. You can read the entire account of the encounter here.
Without Dixon in the fold, getting Jabari Brown eligible becomes the most important part of the season for the Tigers. They have a lack of perimeter shooting right now, and Brown may actually be the best shooter in the program. He’ll be able to take the floor at the end of the semester.
(UPDATE: It’s now official.
“It’s been a challenging few months and while I appreciate the support of many in the Mizzou community including my coaches and teammates,” Dixon said in a statement, “it’s in the best interest of me, my family and the University of Missouri to finish my career elsewhere.”
The decision stems from a second rape allegation that surfaced on Thursday. From the KC Star:
According to a police report obtained Thursday by The Star, a woman who worked in the MU athletic department said she was sexually assaulted by Dixon on Jan. 9, 2010. The report, filed by the University of Missouri Police on Jan. 11, says the alleged assault took place at her apartment.
A source told The Star on Wednesday that the victim alerted former MU basketball coach Mike Anderson about the incident, who told her he would support her if she decided to press charges. She ultimately decided not to, the source said, because Dixon was a basketball player, and “she was afraid of what might happen.” According to the police report, she told detective Sam Easley on Jan. 21 that she did not want to prosecute in this case, and she did not want Dixon to be contacted regarding the case.
Dixon isn’t facing criminal charges in either case.)
Rob Dauster is the editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @robdauster.
La Salle announced on Friday that they are parting ways with head coach John Giannini.
Giannini had been the head coach of the program for 14 seasons, amassing a record of 212-226. Before taking over at La Salle, he spent seven seasons as the head coach at Rowan and eight seasons coaching at Maine.
“Today Bill Bradshaw and I mutually agreed that La Salle University could benefit from a new voice in leading the program,” said Dr. Giannini. “It is difficult to admit this but I have given every effort possible for success and I have received nothing but support and encouragement from Bill and President Hanycz. Greater things may be accomplished for this storied program and great university with the approach of a new coach. I am forever grateful, especially to my loyal staff and dedicated student-athletes. I look forward to my next challenge and La Salle’s future success.”
After Kansas State knocked off Kentucky in the Sweet 16, the purple Wildcats alleged that the blue Wildcats did not shake their hands after the game.
“They didn’t shake our hands,” Kansas State junior guard Amaad Wainright told ESPN last night. “It’s sorry.”
“They know what they did.”
Kentucky bristled at the allegations.
“They were turned and celebrating, so I walked off,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said. “There was no disrespect for anything. It’s just that they were celebrating, and I was happy for them.”
“My team’s not like that. There’s no disrespect in any way. They beat us. They deserved to win the game.”
BOSTON — The NCAA has changed their interpretation of the rule that kept Isaac Haas out of the second round of the NCAA tournament.
Haas broke his elbow in Purdue’s first round win over Cal St.-Fullerton, but he was not allowed to play in a second round game against Butler because his brace did not meet NCAA standards.
So they changed those standards.
“With ample time this week to review the intent of the playing rule, the committee decided to provide a more contemporary interpretation, while keeping health and safety for all players the highest priority,” said Gavitt. “Technology has improved materials used in braces, so now there will be more flexibility in applying the rule as long as the brace is fully covered and padded. Isaac and other players in similar circumstances should be able to play, as long as the brace is safe for all.”
Sources have told NBC Sports that, despite Haas’ lobbying to get onto the court, he is not expected to play on Friday night. If he does, it will be in a very limited capacity.
“He didn’t practice the last two days,” Painter said on Thursday, “and when you don’t practice, you don’t play.”
“I don’t see him playing until he can practice and show me he can shoot a right-handed free throw and get a rebound with two hands.”
USC junior forward Chimezie Metu announced on Thursday evening that he will be declaring for the NBA draft:
This decision is not surprising. Metu finished his degree — Law History and Culture — in three seasons. He held himself out of USC’s NIT games in an effort to keep himself from getting injured with NBA workouts on the horizon.
Metu averaged 15.7 points, 7.4 boards and 1.6 blocks for the Trojans this season. He is considered a borderline first round pick.
In 1951, Kansas State lost to Kentucky in the National Championship game.
Ernie Barrett, who eventually became the school’s athletic director and is known as “Mr. K-State“, played on that team.
He’s wanted to get revenge on Big Blue ever since.
On Thursday night, Kansas State did.
Ernie was there, and here was his reaction in the locker room: