Western Kentucky v Mississippi Valley State

Sean Woods might not have many friends in return to Lexington

1 Comment

Sean Woods is somewhat of a legendary figure in Lexington, Kentucky.

He was a member of “The Unforgettables” at Kentucky, a group of seniors that had stayed with the program through harsh NCAA punishment following the tenure of Eddie Sutton that resulted in several severe sanctions including an NCAA Tournament ban. Woods and other players such as Richie Farmer, John Pelphrey and Deron Feldhaus made it all the way to the Elite Eight before falling to Duke on the legendary Christian Laettner shot.

Well, Woods made his way up the coaching ranks, taking Mississippi Valley State to the NCAA Tournament last season — a nearly impossible feat if you look at the conditions of the athletic programs at the Itta Bena school. He’s now in his first season at Morehead State and he brings the Eagles down Interstate 64 to play the Wildcats.

After some of his comments in his pregame press conference, Woods might not get the reception he would like when the two teams tip-off on Thursday.

The question was posed by a reporter in the teleconference about how current Kentucky freshman Willie Cauley-Stein said he knew nothing about Laettner’s shot in 1992. From there, well, I’ll just let Woods tell it.

“Kids now-a-days, they play too many video games,” Woods said. “I mean, [just] being honest with you. They don’t get it. They play basketball, but they don’t know what basketball really is…I walked into a deal the other day when they had that telethon [for Hurricane Sandy relief] at WKYT, and I didn’t like the vibe, I’m just going to be honest with you, of those guys.

“It’s just, it’s totally different now. And it’s not anyone’s fault, it’s just the way society is now. And you know, I think my generation…my [graduating] class to maybe four, five years after that, you know what I’m saying, these kids don’t know anything. And I bet you any type of money, besides the kids that are from Kentucky that’s on UK’s team, they couldn’t tell you anything about not one player in the history of Kentucky basketball.”

This is some pretty serious chatter from such a simple question, but if you listen to the audio, Woods seems to go off on a tangent that he probably has been thinking about personally for some time.

Earlier in the press conference, Woods started by prefacing what he meant. Pointing out that he never saw players like Earl Monroe and Wilt Chamberlain play, but knew all about them.

The comments look worse in print/online than they actually are. Woods seemed to be wanting to point out that the history of Kentucky basketball and how kids today don’t seem to know much about it, but took it a little too far.

He has a point. But history itself fades to some degree in everything. Our grandparents remember Pearl Harbor like it was yesterday (not that I’m comparing the two, just using it as a basis for a significant event) but for the 70s and 80s babies, it’s an historic holiday, but nothing that really gets to our hearts.

In sports parlance, it’s the same way for Kentucky basketball. I was way too young to remember “The Shot” itself, but I remember a lot of stories about it. Though I’m from the area, so it was unavoidable. Recruits of today outside the state aren’t necessarily devoid of history, they just have more current events and issues and moments to remember, not ones that happened before they were born (which makes me feel old as well).

Woods has since backtracked a bit via his Twitter account in a series of tweets.

In no way were my comments meant to offend or insult the current players at UK. Simply an observation of today’s youth everywhere….I greatly admire Coach Cal and what he has done for the University of Kentucky and college basketball….I will always be proud to have worn a Kentucky Wildcat uniform and to be the head coach at Morehead State University.

So there. It wasn’t the smartest of moves for Woods to say what he said at that length, but he did and he owned up to it (somewhat). He’s a great person and coach, and in dealing with him in several interviews and games, he’s a very honest and engaging person. Sometimes that’s a gift and a curse.

Regardless, Woods will probably have a few less fans when he enters Rupp Arena on Thanksgiving.

David Harten is the editor of The Backboard Chronicles. You can follow him on Twitter at @David_Harten.

Big Ten releases conference schedule

CHARLOTTE, NC - MARCH 22:  Head coach Tom Izzo of the Michigan State Spartans reacts against the Virginia Cavaliers during the third round of the 2015 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at Time Warner Cable Arena on March 22, 2015 in Charlotte, North Carolina.  (Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
(Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

The Big Ten released its 2016-17 conference schedule on Thursday as the conference season begins on Dec. 27 with a four-game set.

Conference play will conclude on March 5th before the 20th annual Big Ten Tournament is played at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C. from March 8-12.

Some notable games include Penn State hosting Michigan State at the Palestra on Jan. 7.

You can view the full Big Ten schedule here.

Arizona’s Talbott Denny injures knee, out for season

AP Photo
AP Photo
Leave a comment

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) Arizona senior forward Talbott Denny will miss the season after tearing the ACL and medial meniscus in his left knee.

The school said Wednesday that the 6-foot-5 graduate transfer from Lipscomb will have surgery.

Denny, from Tucson’s Salpointe Catholic High School, missed all of last season at Lipscomb because of a shoulder injury.

Roy Williams: ‘There’s no question’ more ACC games equal no Kentucky in non-conference

SAN ANTONIO, TX - MARCH 23: Head coach Roy Williams of the North Carolina Tar Heels looks on during the third round of the 2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament against the Iowa State Cyclones at the AT&T Center on March 23, 2014 in San Antonio, Texas.  (Photo by Ronald Martinez/Getty Images)
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Back in June, when the ACC officially announced that they would be expanding the league schedule to 20 games in 2019, I tried to warn you that it was going to put a dent into the non-conference schedule and the amount of quality, on-campus games that we’ll get prior to January.

Roy Williams essentially confirmed this as fact this week.

The North Carolina head coach hopped on a podcast with ESPN and more or less said that the bigger league schedule is going to lead to an end of some of UNC’s marquee home-and-home series.

“My feeling right now, and it could change by ’19, heck I could be fired by ’19, but my feeling right now is to play our conference schedule, play one exempt event where you have really good teams, and other than that play home games to help out your revenue and help out your budget,” Williams said. “We have the ACC/Big Ten and that’s not going to go away. So it’s 21 games already scheduled.”

When asked specifically if this would put an end to UNC’s series with Kentucky, Williams said, “Oh yeah, there’s no question. Why would I need to do that?”

There’s two reasons this makes sense. On the one hand, North Carolina needs to fill their home arena a certain number of times to help with the bottom line of the athletic department. They make enough off of ticket sales, merchandise sales, parking fees and food and beverage that they can afford to pay out more than $50,000 to bring a smaller opponent into their arena. More than that, playing a series of weaklings early in the year allows players to gain confidence, it allows Williams to figure out what his rotation will be and who can handle playing at this level, and it gives newcomers a chance to assimilate into his team against players that just aren’t that good.

And when a larger ACC schedule severely limits the number of non-conference games that UNC will be able to play, what’s going to get cut are the contracts that require the Tar Heels to play on the road when they don’t have to.

So buh-bye, Kentucky, it is.

John Calipari helping to raise money for Louisiana flood victims

AP
AP Photo
Leave a comment

It’s easy to be critical of John Calipari.

You don’t have to be a Louisville fan to know all the jokes by now. He cheated at UMass. He cheated at Memphis. He’s had two Final Fours vacated. Teflon John. Yada yada yada.

I get it. Negativity comes with success, particularly for someone who is as brash about his success as Coach Cal is.

But even Cal’s harshest critics cannot begrudge the work he does — can get his players to do — for charity and how well he can harness the power of Big Blue Nation to make a tangible difference. Remember the ‘Hoops for Haiti’ telethon that raised more than $1 million to help earthquake victims back in 2010? Or the hundreds of thousands of dollars he raised for Hurricane Sandy relief? Or when his fantasy camps generated more than $1 million in charitable donations?

And should I mention the amount of times that stories of Kentucky players befriending sick kids or visiting children’s hospitals?

The cynic in me could say that all of this is for branding, helping ensure his players are image-conscious and aware of the sponsorship opportunities that come with being a likable, relatable and humble athlete. There’s probably some truth to that.

But do you think the kids that get visits from their Big Blue heroes care? Do you think it matters to the charities that get seven-figure checks to help with disaster relief?

I say all that to say this: During a press conference on Thursday morning, Cal had this to say, via SEC Country:

Calipari said former UK star Anthony Davis (currently of the New Orleans Pelicans) told Calipari, “Coach, you gotta do something” for Baton Rouge flood victims. Davis is out of the country but will try to get back for Sunday’s softball game to help. His 2012 title teammates, Terrence Jones and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, were not previously on the celeb list for Sunday but will be there.

Calipari has decided to donate all proceeds from Sunday’s alumni/celebrity softball game will go to the Baton Rouge flood-relief fund, through Red Cross. “So what I’m asking you to do is buy these tickets.” They’re $5 apiece. The previously raised funds will still go to the other designated charities, like each year.

For those so inclined, you can donate to the flooding fund by texting “GIVE” to 859-955-8173.

Vermont women cancels game in North Carolina over HB2

DURHAM, NC - MAY 10:  A unisex sign and the "We Are Not This" slogan are outside a bathroom at Bull McCabes Irish Pub on May 10, 2016 in Durham, North Carolina.  Debate over transgender bathroom access spreads nationwide as the U.S. Department of Justice countersues North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory from enforcing the provisions of House Bill 2 that dictate what bathrooms transgender individuals can use.  (Photo by Sara D. Davis/Getty Images)
Sara D. Davis/Getty Images
Leave a comment

The University of Vermont is the latest in a ever-growing line of organizations canceling events in North Carolina due to the controversial HB2 law.

The Catamounts will not be traveling to play the Tar Heels on Dec. 28th as previously scheduled.

“We strive very hard to create an inclusive climate for our students and staff in which they all can feel safe, respected, and valued,” the school wrote in a statement. “It would be hard to fulfill these obligations while competing in a state with this law, which is contrary to our values as an athletic department and university.”

“This decision was made in consultation with our coaches, the women’s basketball team, and key university officials. We fully understand and sympathize with the impact that this decision may have on the North Carolina women’s basketball schedule. However, we believe this decision is consistent with our values and the conversations with our coaches and student team members. These were the most important considerations.”

Known as the “bathroom bill”, HB2 is the law that requires transgender people to use the public restroom of the sex that they were born not the sex they identify with.

Earlier this year, Albany was forced to cancel a trip to Duke due to legislation in New York regarding visits to North Carolina. The NBA has taken the 2017 All-Star game from Charlotte, and the NCAA is heavily considering pulling NCAA tournament games from the state.

Interestingly, ACC commissioner John Swofford was very non-committal on the subject when asked yesterday.