The Morning Mix

The big news of the day was that the NCAA finally adopted new enforcement policies that “creates additional levels of infractions, hastens the investigation process and ratchets up penalties for the most egregious violations”. The two best reactions I’ve read thus far are from Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports and Eamonn Brennan of ESPN

– With the NBA season getting started last night, Rush The Court fills us in on the whereabouts of all 54 former Pac-12 players now on NBA rosters

– Ken Pomeroy released his statistical team rankings for the 2012-2013 season. This is the one site that every diehard fan needs to pony up the cash and subscribe to. It’s 1000% worth it. Dan Hanner, the stats wizard at Basketball Prospectus also released his rankings. I highly recommend you subscribing to Basketball Prospectus. Mid-Major Madness analyzes the rankings from a small school perspective. Hustle Belt does the same for Mid-American Conference programs. Chris Burrows has some good things to say about the rankings as well

– If the trend continues, we could be seeing an even higher number of transfers than we last season. A Utah State player has decided to leave the program after just one exhibition game. I understand not every situation is perfect, but I’d recommend sticking it out until at least the first week of real games

– Matt Kavanaugh was supposed to be the starting center for the Dayton Flyers. But last week Kavanaugh was suspended for the entire season for violating the school’s code of conduct. Luckily for the Flyers, freshman Jalen Robinson stepped up and provided a double-double in the first exhibition game of the season. If the Flyers want to compete in the deep Atlantic-10, they will need to Robinson to step up on a regular basis

– Well here’s something kinda interesting: It appears as though both Chane Behanan and Wayne Blackshear will start the season coming off the bench for the Louisville Cardinals

– If the Big East is to get a new television deal, they will need a stable basketball product to market

– UCLA’s 100-year old student-run newspaper, The Daily Bruinhas several issues with the way the NCAA is handling the eligibility issues of Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson. They do make fine points, but if a player is eventually ruled ineligible, then there needs to be some sort of accountability for the games they participated. Unfortunately, it looks like trying to resolve this sort of scenario is miles down the road

– Although he will be sidelined for the entire season with an ACL injury, Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser wants to impart his wisdom on the Badger’s young backcourt in what he term’s “a coaching internship”

– A nice-read on Niagara’s Juan’ya Green, who in only his second season will be asked to provide leadership for a young Purple Eagles squad looking to improve on last season’s 14/19 record

– Prior to taking over the Memphis program, Josh Pastner was on staff at Arizona. While he never coached along side current Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, he does credit him for much of the Tiger’s offensive success

– It should come as no surprise that South Carolina is projected by many to finish at the very bottom of the SEC this year. Frank Martin will turn this program around, but it will take at least a year. But starting out with a one point exhibition win against Kentucky Wesleyan doesn’t exactly set the best tone what’s bound to be a difficult season

– Rick Pitino signed a contract extension that will keep him on the Louisville sidelines until the 2021-2022 season, at which point he will be 70 years old

– Austin Peay senior guard Jerome Clyburn will miss the first month of the season as he rehabs from a torn meniscus

– In our Ivy League preview, Rob Dauster explains why Harvard is still the favorite to contend for the league championship

– Jason King ranks the top-10 best point guards in the country. Jeff Goodman ranks the top-50 best shooters in the country

– Andy Katz explains the problems the Hofstra  basketball program has encountered due to Hurricane Sandy

Nicole Auerbach informs us how Mason Plumlee uses his older brothers wisdom to help lead the Duke Blue Devils

– Here’s an interesting topic: What university has the best 1-2 punch in means & women’s head coaches. Up until a few months ago, UConn was the obvious choice. But if you ask the people in Lexington, they’d be happy to tell you all about Matthew Mitchell and the job he has done with the women’s program

Reason No.10 why Rush The Court loves college basketball. What.A.Game. I remember like it was yesterday

– In case you’re in to that sort of thing, Adam Zagoria provides the opening night rosters for every team in the NBA

– You’ve got to be kidding me right? The Duke women’s team beat Shaw College by 106 points, 138-32. That’s crazy. Shaw was the 2011-2012 Division-II National Champions. Of course Duke is going to beat them, but by 100 points? That’s crazy

Troy Machir is the managing editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @TroyMachir.

No. 5 Villanova beats Tennessee 85-76 in Battle 4 Atlantis

BUFFALO, NY - MARCH 16: Jalen Brunson #1 of the Villanova Wildcats drives against Elijah Long #55 of the Mount St. Mary's Mountaineers in the first half during the first round of the 2017 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament at KeyBank Center on March 16, 2017 in Buffalo, New York. (Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images)
Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

PARADISE ISLAND, Bahamas — Jalen Brunson scored 25 points to help fifth-ranked Villanova rally from 15 down and beat Tennessee 85-76 in Thursday’s semifinals at the Battle 4 Atlantis.

The Wildcats (5-0) trailed 44-29 with 1:39 left before roaring out of a break with a dominating run. Villanova scored the first 11 points as part of that 23-2 burst, with the Wildcats playing far more aggressively and getting out in transition.

Mikal Bridges added 21 points for Villanova, which shot 52 percent after halftime and built a 15-point lead with 4:40 left before having to hold off a late rally by the Volunteers.

Grant Williams scored 20 points for Tennessee (3-1), which clawed to within 79-76 on Admiral Schofield’s 3-pointer with 51.6 seconds left. But that was as close as the Volunteers got, with Villanova hitting four free throws and getting a breakaway dunk from Donte DiVincenzo with 13.2 seconds left to seal it.

BIG PICTURE

Tennessee: The Volunteers were coming off an overtime win against No. 18 Purdue in the first round and they were poised to add an even bigger upset. But that flat second-half start wiped out a strong half’s worth of work and squandered the momentum that came through their board work and converting turnovers.

Villanova: That’s two straight days the Wildcats put together a second-half spurt to take control in the Bahamas. They did it in Round 1 against Western Kentucky to finally break the game open, but this one — full of active hands, deflected passes and guys diving on the floor — brought them back in a game that was once getting away from them.

UP NEXT

Tennessee: The Volunteers will play the North Carolina State-Northern Iowa loser in Friday’s third-place game.

Villanova: The Wildcats will play the N.C. State-Northern Iowa winner in Friday’s championship game.

VIDEO: Mike Brey celebrates Maui win shirtless

@NDmbb