The Morning Mix

The big news of the day was that the NCAA finally adopted new enforcement policies that “creates additional levels of infractions, hastens the investigation process and ratchets up penalties for the most egregious violations”. The two best reactions I’ve read thus far are from Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports and Eamonn Brennan of ESPN

– With the NBA season getting started last night, Rush The Court fills us in on the whereabouts of all 54 former Pac-12 players now on NBA rosters

– Ken Pomeroy released his statistical team rankings for the 2012-2013 season. This is the one site that every diehard fan needs to pony up the cash and subscribe to. It’s 1000% worth it. Dan Hanner, the stats wizard at Basketball Prospectus also released his rankings. I highly recommend you subscribing to Basketball Prospectus. Mid-Major Madness analyzes the rankings from a small school perspective. Hustle Belt does the same for Mid-American Conference programs. Chris Burrows has some good things to say about the rankings as well

– If the trend continues, we could be seeing an even higher number of transfers than we last season. A Utah State player has decided to leave the program after just one exhibition game. I understand not every situation is perfect, but I’d recommend sticking it out until at least the first week of real games

– Matt Kavanaugh was supposed to be the starting center for the Dayton Flyers. But last week Kavanaugh was suspended for the entire season for violating the school’s code of conduct. Luckily for the Flyers, freshman Jalen Robinson stepped up and provided a double-double in the first exhibition game of the season. If the Flyers want to compete in the deep Atlantic-10, they will need to Robinson to step up on a regular basis

– Well here’s something kinda interesting: It appears as though both Chane Behanan and Wayne Blackshear will start the season coming off the bench for the Louisville Cardinals

– If the Big East is to get a new television deal, they will need a stable basketball product to market

– UCLA’s 100-year old student-run newspaper, The Daily Bruinhas several issues with the way the NCAA is handling the eligibility issues of Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson. They do make fine points, but if a player is eventually ruled ineligible, then there needs to be some sort of accountability for the games they participated. Unfortunately, it looks like trying to resolve this sort of scenario is miles down the road

– Although he will be sidelined for the entire season with an ACL injury, Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser wants to impart his wisdom on the Badger’s young backcourt in what he term’s “a coaching internship”

– A nice-read on Niagara’s Juan’ya Green, who in only his second season will be asked to provide leadership for a young Purple Eagles squad looking to improve on last season’s 14/19 record

– Prior to taking over the Memphis program, Josh Pastner was on staff at Arizona. While he never coached along side current Wildcats head coach Sean Miller, he does credit him for much of the Tiger’s offensive success

– It should come as no surprise that South Carolina is projected by many to finish at the very bottom of the SEC this year. Frank Martin will turn this program around, but it will take at least a year. But starting out with a one point exhibition win against Kentucky Wesleyan doesn’t exactly set the best tone what’s bound to be a difficult season

– Rick Pitino signed a contract extension that will keep him on the Louisville sidelines until the 2021-2022 season, at which point he will be 70 years old

– Austin Peay senior guard Jerome Clyburn will miss the first month of the season as he rehabs from a torn meniscus

– In our Ivy League preview, Rob Dauster explains why Harvard is still the favorite to contend for the league championship

– Jason King ranks the top-10 best point guards in the country. Jeff Goodman ranks the top-50 best shooters in the country

– Andy Katz explains the problems the Hofstra  basketball program has encountered due to Hurricane Sandy

Nicole Auerbach informs us how Mason Plumlee uses his older brothers wisdom to help lead the Duke Blue Devils

– Here’s an interesting topic: What university has the best 1-2 punch in means & women’s head coaches. Up until a few months ago, UConn was the obvious choice. But if you ask the people in Lexington, they’d be happy to tell you all about Matthew Mitchell and the job he has done with the women’s program

Reason No.10 why Rush The Court loves college basketball. What.A.Game. I remember like it was yesterday

– In case you’re in to that sort of thing, Adam Zagoria provides the opening night rosters for every team in the NBA

– You’ve got to be kidding me right? The Duke women’s team beat Shaw College by 106 points, 138-32. That’s crazy. Shaw was the 2011-2012 Division-II National Champions. Of course Duke is going to beat them, but by 100 points? That’s crazy

Troy Machir is the managing editor of the college basketball website Ballin’ is a Habit. You can find him on twitter @TroyMachir.

Bracketology: Purdue on a dominant run

Stacy Revere/Getty Images

How good has Purdue been?

Let’s take a quick peek … the Boilermakers haven’t lost since returning from Atlantis in November.  They are 5-0 in true road games, own a 6-2 mark against the NCAA’s new “Group 1” category, and have won 19 games by an average margin of 22.6 points.  This morning, Purdue ranks No. 1 on the Sagarin index and No. 2 at Ken Pom.  The Boilers also have a favorable Big Ten schedule; they only play Ohio State (home) and Michigan State (road) once.  In other words, without a slip up, Purdue is well on its way toward a potential No. 1 seed come March.

UPDATED: January 22, 2018

FIRST FOUR PAIRINGS – Dayton (First Round)

• Kansas State vs. USC | South Region
  • Houston vs. Missouri West Region
  • WAGNER vs. NC A&T | East Region
  • FLA GULF COAST vs. ARK-PINE BLUFF | Midwest Region

BRACKET PROJECTION …

EAST Boston                 MIDWEST – Omaha            
Pittsburgh Detroit
1) VILLANOVA 1) PURDUE
16) NC A&T / WAGNER 16) FL GULF CST / ARK-PB
8) Miami-FL 8) SAINT MARY’S
9) Alabama 9) Florida State
Boise Dallas
5) Florida 5) Tennessee
12) BUFFALO 12) MID TENNESSEE
4) Ohio State 4) Texas Tech
13) E TENNESSEE ST 13) LOYOLA-CHICAGO
Wichita Nashville
6) Kentucky 6) Wichita State
11) SMU 11) Washington
3) Oklahoma 3) Clemson
14) VERMONT 14) WILLIAM & MARY
Nashville Detroit
7) Michigan 7) NEVADA
10) Butler 10) Arkansas
2) North Carolina 2) Xavier
15) CANISIUS 15) MONTANA
WEST – Los Angeles SOUTH – Atlanta
Charlotte Charlotte
1) Duke 1) VIRGINIA
16) RADFORD 16) PENNSYLVANIA
8) TCU 8) Providence
9) Marquette 9) Texas
San Diego Boise
5) RHODE ISLAND 5) Arizona State
12) NEW MEXICO ST 12) SOUTH DAKOTA ST
4) Michigan State 4) CINCINNATI
13) BELMONT 13) LOUISIANA
San Diego Dallas
6) Gonzaga 6) Seton Hall
11) Houston / Missouri 11) Kansas State / USC
3) ARIZONA 3) AUBURN
14) S.F. AUSTIN 14) WRIGHT STATE
Wichita Pittsburgh
7) Creighton 7) Louisville
10) Texas AM 10) Georgia
2) KANSAS 2) West Virginia
15) HAWAII 15) BUCKNELL

NOTES on the BRACKET: Villanova is the No. 1 overall seed – followed by Purdue, Virginia, and Duke

Last Four Byes (at large): Butler, Texas AM, SMU, Washington

Last Four IN (at large): Houston, Missouri, USC, Kansas State

First Four OUT (at large): Boise State, NC State, Baylor, Notre Dame

Next four teams OUT (at large): Syracuse, Maryland, UCLA, LSU

Breakdown by Conference …

SEC (9): AUBURN, Florida, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Texas AM, Missouri

ACC (7): VIRGINIA, Duke, North Carolina, Clemson, Louisville, Miami-FL, Florida State

Big East (7): VILLANOVA, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, Providence, Marquette, Butler

BIG 12 (7): KANSAS, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, TCU, Texas, Kansas State

Big 10 (4): PURDUE, Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan

American (4): CINCINNATI, Wichita State, SMU, Houston

Pac 12 (4): ARIZONA, Arizona State, Washington, USC

West Coast (2): SAINT MARY’S, Gonzaga

Atlantic 10 (1): RHODE ISLAND

Mountain West (1): NEVADA

ONE BID LEAGUES: Loyola-Chicago (MVC), Canisius (MAAC), Middle Tennessee (C-USA), Louisiana (SBELT), Penn (IVY), Montana (BSKY), Wright State (HORIZON), S.F. Austin (SLND), East Tennessee State (STHN), Hawaii (BWEST), Buffalo (MAC), Florida Gulf Coast (ASUN), Belmont (OVC), William & Mary (CAA), Radford (BSO), North Carolina A&T (MEAC), South Dakota State (SUM), New Mexico State (WAC), Vermont (AEAST), Bucknell (PAT), Wagner (NEC), Arkansas-Pine Bluff (SWAC)

Bracketing principles: read them for yourself at http://www.ncaa.com.

Team Of The Week: Kansas Jayhawks

Justin K. Aller/Getty Images