Throughout the month of October, CollegeBasketballTalk will be rolling out our previews for the 2012-2013 season. Check back at 9 a.m. and just after lunch every day, Monday-Friday, for a new preview item.
Time to hit the links.
– Andrew and Aaron Harrison, the No.2 and No.4 recruits in the class of 2013 are headed to Kentucky. The twin guards had every reason in the book to pick Maryland, but instead chose Kentucky. Why? Rob Dauster and Jeff Borzello explain (via KSR). No word yet on the exact number of couches that were set ablaze in College Park last night. Burning couches is kinda their thing
– The general consensus is that John Calipari and #BBN are at the point where they’re virtually unstoppable on the recruiting trail. Jeff Eisenberg, Eamonn Brennan, Glen Logan and Adam Zagoria offer their thoughts. Andy Glockner does too. Make sure you read his take, it’s #ReadoftheDay material
– Another sign that Lexington, KY has become the unofficial home to college hoops: ESPN planning on shooting an all-access special at UK that will air in two weeks
– Mark Zeigler of the San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the “Carrier Classic” game between San Diego State vs. Syracuse is in danger of being cancelled. Much more on this to come shortly
– Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun details how UNLV senior guard Justin Hawkins is raising the standards of proper twitter usage by student-athletes. This, kids, is how you do it. Big ups to Justin
– Texas Tech has named Chris Walker as the interim head coach of the Red Raiders basketball team. Walker spent last season as the associate head coach under Billy Gillispie, who resigned amid controversy last month
– Wisconsin wing Zach Bohannon called out President Obama for a game of pick-up. While the POTUS had to deny the sharpshooter’s request, the avid basketball fan took some time off from his presidential campaign to show up for a “meet-n-greet” with the Badgers squad
– Dynamic Baylor guard Pierre Jackson was named conference preseason player of the year at Big-XII media day on Thursday
– St. Joseph’s was tabbed as the favorite to win the new and improved Atlantic-10 Conference at media day in Brooklyn
– Anybody want a to know about ten of the best dunkers in the country?
– A biopsy on North Carolina head coach Roy Williams revealed that his left kidney is cancer-free