Bruce Weber rounds out Kansas State staff with former Illinois assistant Wayne McClain, promotes assistant Chris Lowery

Leave a comment

First-year Kansas State head coach Bruce Weber has rounded out his Wildcat staff, hiring former Illinois assistant Wayne McClain as the director of student-athlete development, the school announced Wednesday.

McClain spent 11 seasons as an assistant coach with the Illini, including nine working for Weber.

“[McClain] is one of the most successful coaches in the history of Illinois basketball at both the high school and college levels,” Weber said in a statement.

“With a staff as young as ours, I wanted to add someone with significant knowledge and experience who would be a mentor to them as they grow in the profession.  He has also coached a lot of great players and will be a great resource for our players.”

McClain’s hiring was the first of two moves announced by the school Wednesday, as Weber also promoted assistant Chris Lowery to associate head coach.

Lowery, hired in April, was the first to join Weber’s staff at Kansas State. He came to the Wildcats after nine seasons as the head coach at Southern Illinois.

“We are very fortunate to have someone like Chris on staff,” Weber said.  “He has not only been a Division I head coach before, but also a very successful one.  It is very important to have someone like that on staff and essential to the players to have a veteran voice like his when I’m not around.  He has already been a huge asset to me as we build this program.”

Kansas State finished last season with an overall record of 22-11, including 10-8 in the Big 12. Head coach Frank Martin left Manhattan to take the same position at South Carolina, opening the door for Weber.

The Wildcats open their season on Nov. 9 against North Dakota.

Daniel Martin is a writer and editor at, covering St. John’s. You can find him on Twitter:@DanielJMartin_

SMU won’t appeal tournament ban, Brown suspension

Associated Press
Leave a comment

Last month the NCAA announced that due to rules violations found in their investigation of the SMU men’s basketball program, the team would be banned from postseason play in 2015-16 and head coach Larry Brown would be suspended for the first nine games of the 2015-16 season. With a team led by seniors Nic Moore and Markus Kennedy and just one player (Keith Frazier) being the subject of the investigation, it was assumed that SMU would at the very least appeal the postseason ban.

Friday, the school announced that while it will appeal some of the penalties handed down by the NCAA to the men’s basketball and men’s golf programs they will not appeal the postseason ban or Brown’s suspension.

“After careful consideration, however, we will not appeal the NCAA post-season ban on men’s basketball or partial season suspension of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Larry Brown,” SMU president R. Gerald Turner stated in the release. “Although we regret the severe impact on our student-athletes, the simple fact is that the NCAA penalty structure mandates at minimum a one-year post-season ban for the level of misconduct that occurred, in our case, when a former staff member completed an online high school course for a prospective student-athlete, committing academic misconduct.

“In addition, should we appeal this matter, the lengthy process and uncertainty during this period could harm many aspects of the program. Coach Brown and his staff also agree that it is in the best interests of the program to accept these sanctions and move forward.”

Among the penalties the school will appeal (with regards to the basketball program) are the “duration of scholarship losses” and how long the recruiting restrictions placed on the program will last, and the vacating of games Frazier played in during the 2013-14 season.

This a tough turn of events for players who had nothing to do with the violations, as they see their opportunity to return to the NCAA tournament taken away. As a result of the school’s decision, SMU’s season will end March 9 following their regular season finale against Cincinnati.

Kevin Marfo commits to George Washington

Leave a comment

Kevin Marfo committed to George Washington on Friday evening, announcing his decision on Twitter.

“I am grateful and appreciative to all the schools that recruited me. But I will be spending the next four years at George Washington University,” he tweeted.

This caps a successful week for Mike Lonergan on the recruiting trail. On Tuesday, GW landed a commitment from Darnell Rogers, a 5-foot-3 point guard. He is the son of former GW guard Shawnta Rogers, the 1999 Atlantic 10 Player of the Year. GW ends the week by adding a tenacious rebounder to a front court that graduates top rebounder Kevin Larsen after this season. Rogers and Marfo join power forward Collin Smith in the Class of 2016. Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina will also be eligible in 2016-17.

He cut his list to 10 in August with Pittsburgh, Georgia Tech, Minnesota, Boston College, UMass, Saint Joseph’s, DePaul, Rhode Island and Providence all making the cut along wit the Colonials. He later trimmed the list to five finalists: BC, Providence, DePaul, GW and Rhode Island.

The Worcester Academy (Mass.) forward played for BABC this summer in the Nike EYBL, averaging 11.3 points and 8.8 rebounds per game.  The 6-foot-8 Marfo is listed as the No. 148 overall player in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.