Cal St Bakersfield Texas Tech Basketball

Cal State Bakersfield, head coach Rod Barnes agree to 2-year extension

Leave a comment

What’s been a good summer for Cal State Bakersfield head coach Rod Barnes became an even better on on Thursday.

Nearly a month after finding out that the appeal of the NCAA’s postseason ban due to a low Academic Progress Rate had been upheld, it was announced that Barnes and the school came to terms on a two-year contract extension.

Barnes’ contract will now run through the 2017-18 campaign, with there being no change to the financial terms of his original contract.

“Coach Barnes came here to help build a Division I championship-competitive program and in one season he has already set a new mark for Division I wins, graduated his first two student-athletes and put the Roadrunners into the postseason,” AD Jeff Konya said in the release.

“We wanted to make sure he would continue to be here for the long-haul. He has shown a dedication to this program and to this community. These are results that deserved to be rewarded.”

Barnes led the Roadrunners to a 16-15 mark in his first season at the helm, and Cal State Bakersfield also made its first postseason appearance as a Division I member.

The Roadrunners took part in the CollegeInsider.com Tournament, falling to eventual runner-up Utah State in the first round.

This season can be an even better one for Cal State Bakersfield due to the return of guards Stephon Carter, Issiah Grayson and Zachary Lamb, their top three scorers from last season.

The key for Cal State Bakersfield will be who steps up inside with leading rebounders Rashad Savage (6.2 rpg) and Donald Johnson (5.5 rpg) out of eligibility.

Kregg Jones and Adam Young, with the former redshirting last season, will factor prominently into the front court rotation as will 6-7 guard/forward Tyrone White II.

“I want to thank Jeff Konya and President Mitchell for their confidence and commitment they have shown to me, my family and my staff. We are grateful to have this opportunity to continue to build this program,” Barnes said in the release.

“We are confident in our student-athletes, in this University and this community; together we can reestablish a winning tradition. We are excited about continuing to build the future of this program and developing young men both on and off the court.”

Raphielle is also the assistant editor at CollegeHoops.net and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.

CBT Podcast: Mark Titus recaps Wednesday’s games

LAWRENCE, KS - FEBRUARY 22: Frank Mason III #0 of the Kansas Jayhawks lays the ball up against JD Miller #15 and Jaylen Fisher #0 of the TCU Horned Frogs in the first half at Allen Fieldhouse on February 22, 2017 in Lawrence, Kansas. (Photo by Ed Zurga/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

Wednesday’s slate of games had several wild results.

Former Ohio State walk-on turned blogger turned author Mark Titus, who is currently writing for The Ringer, joined Rob Dauster on the latest episode of the CBT Podcast to go over last night’s games. The two also discussed who is the best team in the nation at the moment, as well Frank Mason III’s rap single from several years ago #BIFM

You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and Audioboom

Roy Williams apologizes to Rick Pitino, hopes that never happens at UNC again

CHAPEL HILL, NC - JANUARY 16:  Head coach Roy Williams of the North Carolina Tar Heels celebrates after his 800th career victory with a 85-68 win over the Syracuse Orange at the Dean Smith Center on January 16, 2017 in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  (Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)
Leave a comment

North Carolina’s Roy Williams called fellow Hall of Fame coach Rick Pitino to apologize for a fan’s behavior during Wednesday night’s game in Chapel Hill.

While leaving the floor at halftime, Pitino had to be restrained by members of the Louisville coaching staff and he and a UNC fan exchanged words as he made his way to the locker rom. There’s video of Pitino pointing and shouting at a fan, who reportedly said, “Pitino, you suck!”

“I don’t like that,” Williams said, according to the Charlotte Observer. “I mean we’re in North Carolina. We don’t have to be like everybody else. We can raise Cain. You can boo, but you don’t have to say the stuff that we as coaches have to put up with.”

“I hope that never happens at North Carolina ever again.”

No. 8 North Carolina defeated No. 7 Louisville, 74-63.

Bubble Banter: It’s a quiet night on the bubble

NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 15:  Miles Bridges #22 reacts after being taken out of the game by head coach Tom Izzo of the Michigan State Spartans against the Kentucky Wildcats in the second half during the State Farm Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden on November 15, 2016 in New York City.  (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)
Michael Reaves/Getty Images
Leave a comment

STILL TO PLAY

Georgia at Alabama (RPI: 68, KenPom: 61, next four teams), 7:00 p.m.

Nebraska at Michigan State (RPI: 43, KenPom: 55, No. 10 seed), 7:00 p.m.

Towson at UNC Wilmington (RPI: 41, KenPom: 57, No. 12 seed), 7:00 p.m.

VIDEO: Jim Boeheim on DP Show: ‘I might be done this year’

Leave a comment

Jim Boeheim was on the DP Show on Thursday morning, and he admitted that John Gillon’s 23-foot banked-in three at the buzzer was (shocker!) a lucky shot.

But that wasn’t the most interesting thing that he said on the show.

Patrick asked him about his future in Syracuse, and Boeheim had an interesting response.

“I don’t know what’s etched in stone these days,” Boeheim said. “I really don’t. There’s a plan in place, and we’re going to see what happens. But basically right now, I might be done this year. You just don’t know. You just have to wait until the season’s over.”

Boeheim also responded to a column written by Pete Thamel in SI that speculated on when his time in Syracuse would come to an end, saying the only accurate part of the story was that “he spelled my name right”, before adding that, like anyone else nearing the end of a career, when he has a bad day or a bad week, he thinks about calling it a career.

Report: Creighton’s Mo Watson Jr. suspended after sexual assault allegation

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - JANUARY 31: Injured guard Maurice Watson Jr. of the Creighton Bluejays looks on during the game against the Butler Bulldogs at Hinkle Fieldhouse on January 31, 2017 in Indianapolis, Indiana. Creighton defeated Butler 76-67. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Creighton announced on Wednesday that injured point guard Mo Watson Jr. was suspended from the program on Feb. 13th for “alleged actions that are contrary to university policies and core values.”

The reason for that suspension, according to a report from the Omaha World-Herald, is that he is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault that happened in Omaha this month.

No charges have been filed and Watson was not arrested as of Wednesday night, according to the paper.

Watson was having an all-american season and leading the nation in assists when he tore his ACL on Jan. 16th in a win at Xavier. He underwent surgery in his hometown of Philadelphia a couple of weeks later, but he has not been a part of a Creighton team activity since his return.

Creighton is 4-5 since Watson’s injury, losing on Wednesday night at home against Providence. They’ll likely make the NCAA tournament still.

Watson is not going to participate in Senior Night festivities in Omaha next week, per the OWH.